PDA

View Full Version : Getting to much respect, everyone folding, how to play this?

Flushsetofnuts
08-27-2004, 03:12 PM
Anyone have any tips on how to play when you have what appears to be to much table respect?

Here is my situation. First off I am not claiming to be some masterful poker player feared by everyone I play with. I have played on and off for awhile and have a good sense of the game.

We play in a poker league here using a points system. The tournament is NLH averaging over 110 players a week. As of this week I am in 3rd place with 3 weeks to go in the season.

Over the past few weeks I have noticed what seems to be very tight play out of most of the players. Anytime I raise it almost always folded around. I understand why the 10 other players that still have a chance to win the league points total play tighter, $1000 + the league Cup and bragging rights goes to the winner. 2nd place gets a nice pot of nothing.

How would you play or do you play when your perceived table image is so high that you can't get any action? Took me three weeks to realize what I think is going on. I play a mixed game of tight/aggressive with looser plays from good position or if I sense weakness. Makes it kind of hard to win hands and build a stack as the blinds skyrocket when you can't get any action. Yet I am hesistant to just bet and raise at more pots thinking I can just steal anytime I want. I know as soon as I try that someone will actually have some cards more often than not and then what? Perhaps just try to raise and steal pots more often or maybe I should go to some showdowns early in the tournament with crap if I can on the cheap and let everyone see my crap cards to give them a false impression. Then tighten back up.

I never thought this would be an issue in this league as alot of the players are new to the game all together with lots of mistakes being made. But now with the season ending and point leaders established its as if we all have bounties on our heads on one hand and way to much respect to get action on the other.

Any tips or discussion of this would be appreciated. I would imagine this could also be an issue in a ring game if you were on a roll over a long period of time with that same players.

Flushsetofnuts

Roman
08-27-2004, 03:49 PM
this is the best scenario for me in a tourney, just keep stealing the blinds and build your stack safely.

ChrisCo
08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
Keep on raising it up with crap to steal the blinds then when someone plays back at you fold your 52 o faceup. After you get caught stealing a couple times back off and go back to your normal play. Hopefully this will get you action with your bigger hands.

SossMan
08-27-2004, 05:16 PM
you win 100% of your hands that are go uncalled.

I would ratched up the aggression until they adjust.

Benal
08-27-2004, 05:41 PM
What they said!