View Full Version : KQ suited from the button

08-08-2002, 10:01 PM
I had a hand from Wednesday night that I still have a hard time deciding if I made the right play. The hand in question took place at a $10-$20 game at the Taj. I think I might be playing a bit too tight due to my inexperience at this limit.

An early postion player who I thought played quite well raised first in +2UTG. Normally when this player raised he had a hand. I put him on a big pair or AK. I had the button with KQ suited, two players cold called the raise by the time action got to me and I folded. Should I have reraised? Should I have called? The players who called didnt play too well, however the initial raiser did. Should I take that into consideration when I make my decision?

Perhaps I am being a bit too results oriented however I would have had the best hand.I would have flopped top pair. The player raised with pocket 7's and lost to someone eho had pocket 9's.

Does anyone here reraise? Does anyone cold call? I just started playing $10-$20 again, and I think I might have played this a little too tight. Should I have cold called and taken it from there since I did have position.

I would appreciate any comments.

Thanks

MK

08-08-2002, 10:14 PM
Another case of overestimating what they have.

Call.

08-08-2002, 10:51 PM
Although its generally frowned on to cold call a pre flop raise, in this case you have a Large suited connector on the BUTTON, and its looking to be 4-6 handed seeing the flop with the most likely number being 5. I'd call here.

08-09-2002, 12:02 AM
I would definitely call with King-Queen suited after a solid raisor (obviously not THAT solid though, be aware of getting the wrong impressions!) and two weak cold-callers on the button every time. I might consider re-raising too, to test the raisor, but calling is fine since you don't mind the blinds coming along for the ride either. I'd prefer multiway action over heads-up with KQs against a solid raisor (or even against most raisors), even if this means losing some "dead money" in the pot.

However, I suspect that if the early raisor is REALLY solid and the two cold-callers are not very poor this hand is so close that poor-to-slightly good players won't be giving up much if anything at all by folding it pre-flop.

lars

08-09-2002, 01:25 AM
At best, you have a marginal call.

However, when you are playing at a new limit (or returning), you should definately play a little tighter than usual until you are comfortable at those stakes. Because you are in that situation, your fold was probably the best play for you.

The fact that you give the EP raiser for AA-TT or AK should push you in the direction of folding. The presence of weak-playing callers should encourage you to call. It's a very close decision and probably doesn't matter much in the long run.

3-betting would never be an option for me.

08-09-2002, 03:02 AM
I would fold without hesitation. If you say that the preflop raiser is a good player...he has to have a hand...

Now if everyone limped....then I'd raise.....chances are you have the best hand...and your position is awesome.....

I might be wrong here, but for me I play ABC, I fold.

08-09-2002, 05:57 AM
that is a fold most of the times. if the raiser was on tilt or just a real shitty playa, you can cold call, probably not 3 bet since some limpers already came in .

08-09-2002, 09:54 AM
In HPFAP, it says in late position you shouldnt be calling many raises, but if other players are in and it is multiway, you can call raises w/ good hands like 10,9s or 8,8. If these hands are playable after a raise I don't see why KQs would not be playable on the button. However if it was folded to me and I didnt have multiway I'd toss it. And I think KQo is an easy toss in this situation head up or multiway.

Ryan