PDA

View Full Version : privacy violation?

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 01:41 PM
I need some help here guys.
My parents are dealing with a some real ass hole neighbors. My parents got a new dog about a year ago, he is a mix breed, about medium size (60 lbs), and he likes to bark at people. He actually barks at everyone, but he is not aggressive nor has he ever attacked anyone. For some reason their neighbors are either scared or don't like him, for whatever reason. My parents have built a new fence in an attempt to keep him away from the neighobors (which it does) and have been training him to bark less (which he is). So basically my parents are being the bigger person here. I hate their neighbors, I think they are a bunch of young pricks, but thats irrelavent at this juncture. But they are now doing something which angers me and doing what I believe may be illegal. They set up a video camera which points directly at my parents deck in an attempt to capture the dog barking at them. This very deck is where my parents frequently eat dinner and talk about various things. This seems to me to be an obvious violation of privacy, am I wrong?

Boris
08-27-2004, 01:55 PM
Based on many hours of viewing CourtTV I think you are correct.

In addition to filing a police complaint your parents should erect a big F uck you sign on their deck.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 02:03 PM
WA legal code (http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?section=9.73.060&fuseaction=section)
WA legal code (http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?section=9.73.030&fuseaction=section)
Here are two that I found that I think they violate.

I like the big FU sign, but I was thinking of just putting up a big sign with these codes written on it in big black letters( Just the numbers too)

Can my parents file a complaint with the police? I am planning on taking pictures of their camera as well.

riverflush
08-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Very tricky subject here...because all they would have to do in order to thwart your legal action temporarily would be to turn the camera in another direction (which would take seconds) so that it shoots somewhere on their property. The burden will be on you to prove what images are being recorded on the video...namely, that it actually is recording images from your parents' property, and not simply monitoring their own yard (for safety purposes or whatever).

It could become cat-and-mouse very quickly...

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 02:17 PM
what if I had a picture of their camera facing directly at their deck with the red light on?

Wake up CALL
08-27-2004, 02:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what if I had a picture of their camera facing directly at their deck with the red light on?

[/ QUOTE ]

One wouldn't you then be in violation of the same code?
Two the red light doesn't mean it is recording anything. I have fake outdoor security cameras with a flashing yellow light to fool the thieves.

ddollevoet
08-27-2004, 02:55 PM
I have some friends who are attorneys. Without consulting them, this is what I'd do:

I'd have one of them draw up a cease and desist order. It is just a letter (on firm letterhead) that warns them that they are in violation of a particular statute and that they need to cease the current behavior immediately or they may face prosecution up to the fullest extent of the law which could include a fine up to $1,000. Mail it certified mail.

I don't think you want to mention your parent's name in the letter. Keep it 3rd party oriented. Basically, the gist of the letter should be: "You are violating the law. See the attached photograph. Stop it now or we'll make you pay the price."

Regardless of whether or not they are actually violating a law, the letter is usually enough to intimidate someone to stop being a dick.

If the neighbors approach the law about your parent's dog, I think (based on your post) that your parent's are making a reasonable effort to contain and quiet their dog. As long as they can show that, they'll be fine.

I am not a lawyer, but I play one at 2+2.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 03:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
One wouldn't you then be in violation of the same code?

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think so because I am not recording any conversation of activity. Basically I am not violating their privacy, atleast I don't think IMO.

cardcounter0
08-27-2004, 03:38 PM
Build a much much higher fence. (Could just be a small section that happens to correspond to where the camera is mounted).

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 03:39 PM
good advice.

I actually went to my parents house for lunch, to have a look at this thing, and to take some photos. They have this thing sitting on a water meter pointing directly at their deck. Its like some sort of box/spy camera bs. You can tell it doesn't belong on the metter and it looks suspicious. I took several photos of it.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Build a much much higher fence. (Could just be a small section that happens to correspond to where the camera is mounted).

[/ QUOTE ] we built a buffer fence to keep the dog away from them, so I doubt we can do that. I put several potted plants in the way of the "camera". When I get home after work I will have another look at them. In case any of you guys want to see a pic of it, I can e-mail it to you, if you so desire.

cardcounter0
08-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Do your parents ever leave town? On their next trip far away from the house, a .50 cal round fired from the street should take care of the camera. Replacing the camera should prove to be more expensive than reloading.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 03:49 PM
here's another fun one
voyuerism (http://www.leg.wa.gov/RCW/index.cfm?section=9A.44.115&fuseaction=section)

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 03:50 PM
I think I should go and move their camera so its pointing directly into their house.

cardcounter0
08-27-2004, 03:54 PM
Well, if it wasn't on a public utility meter I would have just suggested a small amount of dynamite to create a big hole where the camera used to be.

Is the neighbor's house mostly wood or is it a brick structure?

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 04:04 PM
LOL, its wood, why, what do you have in mind?

Thythe
08-27-2004, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, its wood, why, what do you have in mind?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he wants to make sure the dynamite doesn't cause too much damage.

Roy Hobbs
08-27-2004, 04:51 PM
Your parents should consult an attorney. Keeping it "third party oriented" is a mistake...they should want to create a record in the event that they do decide to sue.

RH