PDA

View Full Version : Balancing aggression and caution with KK

Quercus
08-27-2004, 01:13 PM
Once again, what starts off as an easy hand to play for me gains some complications.

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, K/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

So far, so good. KK is an obvious raise in MP2.

Flop: (10 SB) 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB calls, BB calls, UTG calls.

A bit of a scary flop, especially with both blinds in. I wouldn't expect the blinds to call the MP raise and have an 8 unless it was A8s (perhaps). But, this is $1-$2 hold'em, and generally fairly loose.

When UTG called, I wasn't certain whether I should fold (seemed too early), call, or raise. A raise seemed like the best approach because it would give me more info. If I got re-raised, I would know I was toast. If it was just a call, I could perhaps put them on a draw, or perhaps two pair.

Turn: (9 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls, SB calls.

Scary card. BB betting could indicate that he'd slow played a set or that he had made a straight. This is where I think I probably misplayed. I couldn't decide whether to raise or fold - so I split the difference with a call. If my read of Sklansky is correct, that's almost never the correct play. Thoughts?

River: (12 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls, SB folds.

Rag. Again, same problem as turn. I should have raised or folded rather than calling... I think.

Final Pot: 14 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 14 BB, between BB and Hero.</font>

SoCalPat
08-27-2004, 01:21 PM
Bro ... for one bet on any street, folding isn't an option here. That you would even have that thought enter your mind is a bad sign.

Raise the turn. The BB has done nothing to show his hand is stronger than an overpair. If he bets into you again on the river, I would just call.

I'll say it again, because it's worth repeating: Folding here is a horrible play.

cnfuzzd
08-27-2004, 08:02 PM
Two Words: Caution Won

Preflop. KK is an obvious raise anywhere unless you are playing heads up and you get AA flashed at you. Maybe even then. Raise, Reraise, cap. Any position.

Flop. You are scared and timid like a fuzzy little baby bunny. First. If you never raised for information at this level, you would be ok. Must of these people are stupid morons and dont know enough to give you any information. That having been said, raise here for *value* because you have the ebst hand. A flush draw, a9 a party fish, and someone whos 2 year old just pushed the bet button are all likely here. Raise. Comes back you you reraised, CAP. Folding here would make the poker gods throw up with laughter.

Turn. Ok, son, or daughter, we need to talk. At great lengths. First, explain why an undercard is scary. Because JT now has a straight? That having been said. BB betting out simply means he knows where his bet button is. You are giving way too much credit to these people. I would raise here, then perhaps call if it comes back to you. I however, would probably cap it again. If they are slowpplaying a set of nines, or hit a straight so be it. Just spike your king on the river. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif Either way, folding here would be sad also.

River. well, you didnt spike your king, so you dont have the nuts. You do however have an overpair on a board that is paired with a non-threatening card, one realistic straight potential, and no flush draw. Moreover, you are play at a level where most of your opponents will play AQ or even Q9 the same way as 99. DONT FOLD. Not only do you probably have the ebst hand, but this pot is now quite large, so folding would be a big mistake. I would raise and call if reraised. Notice a theme to my advice?

From the tone of this post, im thinking you lost, but dont let one result determine the course of play you choose to take. Also, read Small Stakes Hold Em. Then go take some mood-altering drug that will make you more aggressive but not give you breasts. Unless you are a chick. then, uh, laugh at me for sticking my foot in my mouth.

peace

john nickle

Rhone
08-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Good advice combined with good writing, I love it! Thanks for making me laugh a few times.

Quercus
08-27-2004, 11:17 PM
He turned over JT for the pot.

I actually didn't figure him for that, I figured him for the set of 8s.

At least according to PokerTracker, my total aggression figures are at least decent (1.5 or so), though could probably be higher. I win a fair number of pots where I just push people off their hands, but I *think* I have a tendency to overplay situations where I should have figured out that I'm the loser. Unfortunately, those pots are often large.

Quercus
08-27-2004, 11:30 PM
Another hand where I have to decide between aggression and caution...

Party Poker 1/2 Hold'em (7 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, BB calls.

First to act, nice hand, here comes the raise.

Flop: (4.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls.

Board is no help, but I've got two overcards. Probably won't push any Jx hands off, but I've got two overcards to draw. Time to bet.

Turn: (3.25 BB) A/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">BB raises</font>, Hero calls.

I've got top pair now. Third spade though and BB wakes up with a raise. All I know about BB is that he's tight. No solid read on his aggression. Is he raising on Ace-face or did he hit a flush? Or, is he just trying to make me think he hit his flush? I know I'm not going to fold, but should I call or reraise? I decided to just call.

River: (7.25 BB) Q/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

I've got top two pair now. I put him on two pair or less. I think about raising him, but decide that the only way he calls that raise is if he has me beat with the flush. So, I just call.

Final Pot: 9.25 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 9.25 BB, between Hero and BB.</font> &gt; <font color="white">Pot won by Hero (9.25 BB).</font>

Results in white below: <font color="white">
BB shows Qd 8h (two pair, queens and eights).
Hero shows Ah Qs (two pair, aces and queens).
Outcome: Hero wins 9.25 BB. </font>

cnfuzzd
08-28-2004, 07:09 AM
Raise the river. Do you see why?

peace

john nickle

Peter Harris
08-28-2004, 08:23 AM
i concur entirely. Raise the turn, never consider folding here.

Regards,
Pete Harris

cnfuzzd
08-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Oh, about the new hand, i jut saw that you also have the 2nd nut spade. Reraise the turn, although that isnt entirely set in stone.

peace

john nickle

Rudbaeck
08-28-2004, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I've got top two pair now. I put him on two pair or less. I think about raising him, but decide that the only way he calls that raise is if he has me beat with the flush. So, I just call.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not playing David Sklansky or Howard Lederer here. You can raise and expect to be paid off even by 72o. There is no way villain will fold here.