PDA

View Full Version : ATo in late position...

buhler26
08-27-2004, 01:08 PM
This is a UB $5 NL Hold 'em tourney.
There were about 100 people left out of 626, and they paid the top 60 spots.

I was well below average in chips with about 3200 in the cutoff, the button player had about 2300. Blinds were 150-300, with a 25 ante.

Everyone folded to me, and I had ATo. I raised to about 1300, and the button player moved all-in. It was about another 1000 to call. I called and the button showed AK. I got no help and was way down on chips.

As I see it, there were 4 viable options on how to play that.
1. Fold
2. Limp, with the intent of folding against a raise.
3. Push all-in
4. Raise a smaller amount, like I did.

How would you guys play that? Also, once I was reraised, would you call the other 1000?

wuwei
08-27-2004, 01:21 PM
At that point, I think you have to call the extra 1000. But you don't want to end up in that position. Either fold preflop or push all in hoping to steal the blinds.

Choosing between those two depends on your reads of the players yet to act, but I think pushing is the best play. You need to make a move, and this is a pretty good steal opportunity. It wouldn't have worked out, but you need to take chances at this point in the tournament.

Trying to limp with the intent to fold to a raise is a bad play here. If there's good players behind you, they'll make you pay for this a lot.

betgo
08-27-2004, 01:31 PM
You had to call the reraise, and it is probably best to shove the rest of your chips in in case someone else wants to get involved in the pot.

To avoid getting pot-committed, you could have initially miniraised or pushed.