PDA

View Full Version : Bottom set vs. the blinds.

VarlosZ
08-27-2004, 12:58 PM
PokerStars $1/$2 NLHE, max buy-in $200. I have about $190, villain has about $90. I've only been at the table for a couple of orbits, so no good reads.

I'm dealt 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 2 /images/graemlins/club.gif UTG. Table has been pretty passive, so I limp. Only the blinds come along.

Flop (pot=$6): 8 /images/graemlins/club.gif 4 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif 2 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

SB checks, BB bets $6. Since I'm against the blinds, flush and straight draws are out there (as is, say, two pair), so I don't want to slow-play. I raise to $18, SB folds, BB thinks for a bit and calls.

Turn (pot=$42): J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif

BB checks. Now what? If I make a pot-sized bet, I almost certainly lose any inferior made hands that don't include a high /images/graemlins/diamond.gif, while I'd be so pot-committed that I'd have to pay the full amount to see his flush if I'm check-raised. A smaller bet (say $20) declares that I'm afraid of the flush and invites a check-raise (which I hate, but would still probably call), and I still probably lose a hand like A8 w/ the overcard on the board.

So I check back. I figure this gives me the best chance to make some more money from an inferior hand (either from a bluff or a value bet), and I probably won't have to pay off a flush for the BB's whole stack. Was this too much of a risk given the possibility of a fourth /images/graemlins/diamond.gif on the river?

River (pot=$42): K /images/graemlins/club.gif

BB bets $10. This smells like anything but the flush. I raise to $30.

Comments? I'm fairly inexperienced at NL cash games, so any advice would be appreciated.

Wayfare
08-27-2004, 01:27 PM
I bet $15 on the turn and push when raised. This is specifically to pot build while inducing a bluff. If you are behind, which I am fairly confident you are not, you have outs.

VarlosZ
08-27-2004, 04:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I bet $15 on the turn and push when raised. This is specifically to pot build while inducing a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, that sounds good. I probably did play this bit timidly. Playing 22 UTG is only going to be profitable in the long run if I can really make it pay off when I hit.

(He folded to my river-raise, BTW.)

Wayfare
08-27-2004, 04:45 PM
The guy only has $90, and you can stand behind your set for that much in a heart-beat. I think the key is to pot committ him on the turn by leading for an amount to which he cannot stomach folding, but that will set him up for an all in raise on the river. Make a bet so that on the river when you raise him all in he will look at the pot and think his TPGK is getting 2.5-1, and calls.