PDA

View Full Version : Bluffing

bobman0330
08-27-2004, 12:50 PM
In addition to presenting an interesting problem, this post also describes a fairly nasty beat i put on regular poster LA_Price. Enjoy.

Party $25 PLO, I have about $20, LA_Price, with his typical high quality play has built a substantial stack. I'm in the BB, and he raises the pot from UTG+1. several other callers, i also call with QQxx, single suited. flop comes T88, 2 diamonds (not my suit). It's checked to LA_Price, who puts in a bet of around $8. At this point, i have him almost 100% on AAxx. It's folded around to me, and i decide to depart from my ABC-tight play and put a move on him, figuring that if i check-raise all-in, he'll have no choice but to lay down his AA to my represented trips or better.

Questions: Is this a reasonable play? I was concerned that if he held Axd, he might call anyways, even if he believed i had trips. Does that weaken the play too much?

Results: Well, of course, he had AA8x and called instantaneously, and I spiked a Q on the turn and took down a healthy pot.

LA_Price
08-27-2004, 01:28 PM
Hey bobman. I remember this hand and remember the Q on the turn also. Honestly I don't like the play at all for these reasons

1. With mulitway action I'd probably check this flop unless I also had an 8 but it depends on the number of opponents and how many people acted behind me
2. I raise a decent number of hands as well so I don't think putting me on AAxx every time is a good idea. I could very easily have a hand like 89TJ or TTJQ

if you wanted to bluff and thought I just had a naked AA i'd have called the flop. If i fire again on the turn you can be fairly certain I have more than just AA and you can get away from the hand unless you hit a Q. If I check the turn you can fire out a bluff on the river.

vetman81
08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
I dont think it is safe to assume he will fold AA here. He raised PF and then bet $8 on the flop, and as you said you only started with $20, so about the most he would have to call would be another $10 or so, so I think he would go ahead and call. If your stack size was larger, I think it would be a decent move against someone you "know" has AA.

The other problem with this move is that even though you put him on AA, you dont know his other two cards, one of which could be the 8. If this is the case, you are drawing to two outs.

If you had a larger stack I think the play would most likely work those times when he didnt hold the 8, but in this spot your stack is too small. With the 8, it doesnt really matter how big your stack is, he is going to call you about every time.