PDA

View Full Version : 15/30 hand: Some questions

08-08-2002, 09:09 AM
I'm on the Button with JsTs

All fold to right hand opp who raises. [ his raising standards are low in this spot]

First question:

Anyone like a ReRaise here? A fold here?

I Call.

Blinds Fold.

Flop: K Q 3 Rainbow , no spades.

He Bets.

I Raise.

These days, the free card play seems

to work much better with a Straight Draw than a Flush Draw.

Turn: another King.

Good, I think.

This hand's about over.

He'll Check and I'll Bet, and He'll Fold.

He makes a Suprise Bet.

Anyone for a Raise here?

I Call.

River: a Brick.

He Checks.

Anyone for a Bet here?

08-08-2002, 01:17 PM
This is terribly played. Are you trying to win the most pots or make the best decisions? Find me someone who knows their shit that says you have anything but a fold here before the flop.

08-08-2002, 01:50 PM
Preflop, I would fold jack-ten suited on the button when the cutoff open-raises. This hand does not play well in raised, shorthanded pots although you do have position. But I think you want a hand with high card strength in these situations more than a suited connector. Agreed that the cutoff could be open-raising on a very wide range of hands, but many of these additional hands are still better than yours.

I think if you bet the river, you will get called. It is an obvious bluffing situation.

08-08-2002, 02:21 PM
Well, I don't know if I know my shit but I would say that a fold is not automatic here. I see situations here where I would fold, call or 3 bet depending on image considerations, how well the cut-off plays, how often the blinds play to a raise and to a 3 bet, how well they play when they decide to come in for the ride etc.

The postflop play is way more intriguing than preflop. While it's tough sometimes to do it a the table, I think the play that was missed here is a raise on the turn. Erin needs to put herself in the shoes of her opponent. He only calls the raise preflop and then comes out firing on the turn when the King pairs. The flop has no flush draw so the dude is not likely to put her on a draw if she raises. It certainly seems that the King did not help the bettor. His smoothcall of the flop raise and turn bet belies his holding a King. I suspect that he has a medium pocket pair and is testing the waters with his turn bet.

Of course, ex post facto, his river check confirms this...not that that helps us on the turn.

08-08-2002, 03:05 PM
If the blinds are loose I like your call preflop -- especially if the BB is someone who will automatically call a raise in the BB if another player has called. Hopefully you'll be able to play your JTs four-handed on the button for two bets.

If the blinds are tight than reraising preflop is probably better than calling -- you want the blinds to fold hands like AQ.

As for your play on the turn, I agree with skp that raising is best. However you can't rule out your opponent having something like K9 or KT. Then he might have smoothcalled your raise on the flop fearing you have a bigger king, but when another king hit the board it became less likely that you had one so he bet out again.

If you do raise the turn and he calls you, and he checks the river, it's difficult to say whether you should bluff-bet (assuming you don't hit your straight).

08-08-2002, 03:11 PM

08-08-2002, 03:23 PM
"As for your play on the turn, I agree with skp that raising is best. However you can't rule out your opponent having something like K9 or KT. Then he might have smoothcalled your raise on the flop fearing you have a bigger king, but when another king hit the board it became less likely that you had one so he bet out again."

True. But IME, the chap will likely go for the checkraise on the turn where there is no flush draw on the flop. If the flop had a flush draw, Erin's flop raise might be for a free card and therefore the chap may bet out his K9 or whatever.

08-08-2002, 06:28 PM
You can 3-bet here depending on how loose the pre-flop raiser is. If he's raising with K4o and Q5s, then you have a 3-bet.

I've 3-bet with as little as QTo when the player on my right was stealing with the weak hands above.

08-09-2002, 01:16 PM

08-09-2002, 10:40 PM
No betting on river.

Opp had Qc8c and won a showwon.