PDA

View Full Version : QJo flop OESD - raise or call?

Fiddler
08-27-2004, 10:48 AM
No reads.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is Button with Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls, CO folds, Hero calls, <font color="CC3333">SB raises</font>, BB calls, UTG calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 6/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG folds, MP3 calls.

Bet didn't come from the best position for me but I raise expecting to get at least some callers... oops...

Turn: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

River: (9 BB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
MP3 checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, MP3 calls.

Final Pot: 11 BB

In this case it looks like calling the flop and raising the turn would have put more money in the pot. I was surprised 3 players folded... What is the best way to play a flop like this? Seems kinda strange to expect $0.5/$1.0 PP players to fold for 2 small bets...

Entity
08-27-2004, 10:53 AM
I almost always raise a flop like this. Raising will get you a free card a large portion of the time. Well-played IMHO; sorry you didn't get more money. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rob

Shargaas
08-27-2004, 10:57 AM
With the bet coming immediately before you, I think the play is to just call and let people in behind you. You did expect callers and at this limit, cold-callers are not uncommon, but even so, your hand isn't made yet and you could fold out a lot of people, as happened here. Of course, if the bet had come much earlier, a value raise is justified.

cold_cash
08-27-2004, 11:03 AM
The raise is good, and I think the flop bet came from the perfect spot.

cardcounter0
08-27-2004, 11:06 AM
I don't see a problem with the raise, could have got you a free river draw if your straight didn't hit on the turn.

I think you just ran into no one having even a piece of the flop, except the original bettor, so they folded. It happens, those players might have folded to a single bet with absolute nothing in their hand.

It is better to raise and get more money in the pot, set up a possible free card on the turn if you miss, then to limp and hope people don't fold. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

btspider
08-27-2004, 11:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The raise is good, and I think the flop bet came from the perfect spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

i agree. you were able to fold the PF raiser and improve your chances of winning with only top pair.

tolbiny
08-27-2004, 11:53 AM
improve your chances of winning with only top pair

This is the most important part of the raise here- giving yourself up to 6 extra outs is huge in this situation. Going from an 8 outer to a 14 outer is big (although its probably more like a 12 outer)

Kluddeludde
08-27-2004, 12:46 PM
Looks good and the raise on the flop is mandatory. You have two overcards, an OESD and the pot is big. Raise to increase your chance of winning it.

Kludde

Sent
08-27-2004, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
improve your chances of winning with only top pair

This is the most important part of the raise here- giving yourself up to 6 extra outs is huge in this situation. Going from an 8 outer to a 14 outer is big (although its probably more like a 12 outer)

[/ QUOTE ]

As he said you raise here to give your Q or J a chance to become good outs so that if you catch one of those and not your straight you still have a chance of winning by forcing higher overcards behind you out on the flop.

-Sent