PDA

View Full Version : Late in my session, I don't think I played this well

Shargaas
08-27-2004, 10:37 AM
My main opponent here (the pf raiser) had raised pf several times previously and the hands they had showed were quality hands, although they had folded a few of these hands on the turn or river to bets. He/she seemed somewhat solid (for this limit) and aggressive when they flopped a hand.

PokerStars 0.05/0.10 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is SB with A/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, MP3 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, Hero calls, <font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG calls, MP1 calls, MP3 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (13 SB) 8/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 3/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, MP1 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

%$#!. This is the first time button had raised pf and failed to bet the flop....

Turn: (6.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG calls, MP1 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, Button calls.

River: (9.50 BB) A/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, UTG folds, Button calls.

Final Pot: 11.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 11.50 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

I am not overly happy with the way I played the hand. Suggestions/comments/flames are welcome.

Entity
08-27-2004, 10:46 AM
If I'm first to act after a PFR, I either 3-bet AQs or fold (depending on my read on raiser). Rarely fold, but never cold-call. Bet the flop and hope that button raises if he's super aggressive -- I don't like the going for the check-raise on a flop like this.

Rob

btspider
08-27-2004, 11:04 AM
cold call seems fine here out of position, with a partial bet already in, and lots of limpers. just bet out on the flop and 3-bet if you can to present everyone with 2. did the button have KJ or AT?

sfer
08-27-2004, 11:07 AM
I usually 3-bet preflop. Given your coldcall, your line is fine. Checking with the intention of checkraising is clearly the right play on the flop and once you whiff just start betting.

papawawa
08-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Sklansky recommends almost NEVER checking to the preflop raiser; and with a flop like that, I am definetly betting/raising AMAP.

sfer
08-27-2004, 05:20 PM
The Button will usually bet in that spot. Checking with the intention of checkraising is the best way to protect your hand there. The pot is getting big, every draw is calling 1 bet correctly--you want to win it.

k000k
08-27-2004, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
cold call seems fine here out of position, with a partial bet already in, and lots of limpers. just bet out on the flop and 3-bet if you can to present everyone with 2. did the button have KJ or AT?

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree, I think you should 3bet AQs, even out of position. When it hits, its great. If you get a draw, youre drawing to a REALLY great hand.

The only argument for coldcalling I can think of is if you want to look weak and spring the bad news on everyone later. If you don't raise, you'll be able to pull off a checkraise on the flop, cuz Mr. Button won't be suspicious of you at all.. A nickel/dime game isn't a place to try and get cute, ABC play wins more than sneaky deceptive trickery in these nanolimits.

detruncate
08-27-2004, 07:43 PM
3-bet pre-flop, then bet the flop if not capped. If capped (or the way you played it), the planned c/r on the flop is a good move given your relative postition vis a vis the pf aggressor. Shame it checked through. Obviously the turn and river bets are good.

Shargaas
08-28-2004, 11:26 AM
I didn't 3-bet pre-flop for a few reasons:

1) I was out of position
2) I already had some money in, although really it's still a cold call
3) If I hit, I could check-raise my usually aggressive opponent
4) I have been ice-cold and missing almost every flop...
5) A-3-bet would likely not drive anyone behind me out (however getting as multi-way pot is fine and dandy with AQs)

Given the consensus that I should have 3-bet, these reasons cannot be good enough. I almost never cold call raises when I am first after the raiser but this time I tried it. I hit the flop and felt the C/R would work, and blew it. The rest of the hand is routine.

The flop play is still debatable. The C/R when it works is a thing of beauty but turns ugly when it fails. Betting out is less risky. My hands haven't been holding up when I've bet out and I was sure the C/R would work here but alas.

Thanks all for the comments, I will post the results shortly.

Shargaas
08-29-2004, 07:46 PM
My hand held up. HH showed button had ATo.