PDA

View Full Version : Playing TT when an overcard flops

Jonathan
08-27-2004, 09:20 AM
I have problems playing pocket pairs when an overcard flops.
Comments please?

Thanks,
Jonathan

ps. I posted this first to small stakes no limit before realizing that it belongs here.

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t20 (8 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

saw flop|<font color="C00000">saw showdown</font>

Hero (t1350)
Button (t4420)
<font color="C00000">SB (t550)</font>
BB (t1430)
UTG (t1350)
<font color="C00000">UTG+1 (t1500)</font>
MP1 (t1450)
MP2 (t1450)

Preflop: Hero is CO with T/images/graemlins/club.gif, T/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
UTG folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 raises to t40</font>, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises to t100</font>, Button folds, <font color="CC3333">SB raises to t160</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls t120, Hero calls t60.

Flop: (t500) Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets t20</font>, Hero calls t20, SB calls t20.

Turn: (t560) 7/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets t120</font>, Hero folds, SB calls t120.

River: (t800) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks.

Final Pot: t800
<font color="green">Main Pot: t800 (t800), between SB and UTG+1.</font>

JARID
08-27-2004, 11:36 AM
Got any reads here?

:EDIT:

If you are going to play TT this way then I wouldn't raise so big pf.

Two different lines here -

1.) raise the flop to really see where you are at. SB looks weak and UTG is just weird. i probably go about pot size here.
2.) If you want to go the calling route then you have to call the turn too. 120 shouldn't scare you as it is still an underbet relative to the pot.

After that it all sort of depends on the ensuing action, but unless your opponents are total lames, I think you have the best hand. TT with an overcard is very read dependant. Does sb slowplay? and is UTG weak betting a sign of weakness, or the sign of a weak player trying to slowplay a solid hand.

-Jarid

davidross
08-27-2004, 11:47 AM
I would have played it the same way. Post flop play is so read dependant. Is the SB likely to check a big hand here or does he have AK? JJ? WHat does the ridiculous mini bet mean from the UTG?

THere is an opportunity for you to raise the flop and see where you are, but this early in tournaments I prefer to wait for flops that hit me harder.

JARID
08-27-2004, 11:56 AM
David,

Without a read here, I think he has the best hand. My view is tainted because I saw the whole hand play out. However, I don't disagree with your line on waiting for the flop to hit harder this early in a tournament, but why play a TT so strongly pf then? Should hero approach it more like a pair of sixes and call the little min raise and play for set value?

Thanks-
Jarid

SossMan
08-27-2004, 12:02 PM
W E A K

Raiser
08-27-2004, 12:04 PM
Gotta raise that flop.

Of course I suck at MTT, so I could be wrong /images/graemlins/wink.gif

mrbaseball
08-27-2004, 12:27 PM
Raise that flop! When someone comes out with a chump minimum bet on the flop it means (99% of the time) that they don't have dick. Raise those mini bets even if you have nothing.

But with TT you have to take charge and figure out if they are good or not. Calling a chump 20 bet on the flop won't do it. Are you hoping for another 10 to hit? More cards hurt you rather than help you and you must make them pay to see them.

Jonathan
08-27-2004, 03:15 PM
Thanks to everyone for the replies.

I agree with those who say I should have raised the flop. I think in retrospect that a pot sized raise was the best line and would have taken it down right away.

I had no reads on my opponents at the time. Later, the UTG+1 was chatting up a storm and said that he was a novice poker player.

SB showed down AKo and the novice had a pair of 4's in the hole, so I ended up laying down the best hand.

Jared, were you playing in the game? What's your handle on PS?

'luego,
Jonathan

JARID
08-27-2004, 03:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't play on poker stars. Why do you ask?

Sucks about the hand BTW. Good luck.

-Jarid

Mez
08-27-2004, 03:41 PM
You must raise that flop. Be prepared to fold if the SB ends up re-raising (check raising), but you can't play your pocket pair that soft.

esknights
08-27-2004, 03:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No, I don't play on poker stars. Why do you ask?

[/ QUOTE ]

He asks because you said you saw the whole hand play out.