PDA

View Full Version : Wrestling and sprinting

natedogg
08-27-2004, 03:35 AM
The only two events that evoke the feeling and majesty of the original games (at least in terms of how we've built them up in our minds)

Wrestling and sprinting are the only things I can watch in the olympics.

I really get the sense that I'm watching pure, untarnished ur-sport. The original form of contest between athletes that ever took place.

After 5 minutes of sprinters or wrestlers, the basketball team, the beach volleyball, and the synchronized diving all seems like a bunch of clowns. Wait no, little girls dressed as clowns.

Thank you Rulon Gardner.

natedogg

RPatterson
08-27-2004, 03:53 AM
True, these other sports are jokes.

Senor Choppy
08-27-2004, 06:07 AM
You must've missed the trampoline events /images/graemlins/frown.gif

Duke
08-27-2004, 06:57 AM
I'm thinking that all of "Athletics" is in the spirit of the games. And the Kessel run. That was pretty much what the framers of the games intended.

If all the events were performed nude, well, I think that would be in the spirit too. It may improve the ratings as well.

~D

tolbiny
08-27-2004, 09:59 AM
i dont think i will ever be open minded enough to watch 6 nude dudes sprinting ..... either a front or side shot would be to much to bear...... hurdles even worse....

however womens diving...... /images/graemlins/grin.gif

vulturesrow
08-27-2004, 10:12 AM
We had a hiliarious discussion going on a table I was playing on last night. A couple of us were watching rhythmic gymnastics while playing and guys were making comments like "Nice crotch catch!" and stuff like that. It was an absolute riot. The fact that rhythmic gymnastics exists as an olympic sport is guffaw inducing in and of itself. That being said, the performers are quite nice on the eyes and incredibly limber...

tolbiny
08-27-2004, 10:42 AM
while not quiet as "pure" as wrestling or sprinting i enjoy certain gymnastic events.... some of the things that they do on the uneven bars are pretty incredible.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 11:27 AM
The sprint events are easily the best ones at the games.