PDA

View Full Version : Weak tight?

ChrisCo
08-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Comments on this hand?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t200 (4 handed)

UTG (t1530)
Button (t2640)
Hero (t1260)
BB (t2570)

Preflop: Hero is SB with J/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
<font color="CC3333">UTG raises to t1530 (All-In)</font>, Button folds, Hero folds, BB folds.

Final Pot: t1830

donny5k
08-27-2004, 01:29 AM
Um, yes.

willie
08-27-2004, 01:47 AM
yes.

gotta take a stab for the money and you're tossin this hand away?

don't really like it.

Gramps
08-27-2004, 02:01 AM
It would be less of a mistake (but still a mistake) if it was either of the two big stacks who had gone all-in. In that situation, calling with your JJ and winning would double you up, but no other player would be crippled. Since it's the other short stack pushing all-in, you'd not only double up (plus blind overlay), but you cripple UTG, putting him nearly all-in on the next hand.

UTG only has 5X the BB, he could be pushing all sorts of crap. Even a lot of good hands he could be pushing you're a big favorite against. You HAVE to call this, you'll probably have to make a stand with crap if you don't (or get blinded off).

NL is not a "safe" game, you always have to take risks. There's a lot less risk of getting knocked out on this call that you could reasonably have hoped for in your "make a stand hand" at this juncture.

SmileyEH
08-27-2004, 02:07 AM
You will get a lot of thirds folding here. I doubt that is what you want so I'd say it is an easy call - if i'm UTG with 5BB i'm pushing any PP, any ace, high suited kings, and probably JTs - you are way ahead of almost all of this.

-SmileyEH

ChrisCo
08-27-2004, 02:29 AM
I forgot to mention that not once did the villain make a raise preflop during bubble play, so the hands he might make the move with are right there with jj. I know if he has a non pair hand it will be a coinflip and I am just as likely to see AA as 1010 so I decided to fold. Also the big stacks were playing pretty wreckless, frequently going all in. I thought with there play and the big stacks looseness that I could get my money in on a better spot. All in all I finished seconds after I lost 2 allin coinflips in the heads up match. Does my laydown make a little more sense? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

VarlosZ
08-27-2004, 02:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
. . . Does my laydown make a little more sense?

[/ QUOTE ]
No, I'm afraid not. Most likely your opponent was simply getting a run of bad cards. In any event, he'd have to be truly awful if the range he'd raise w/ is "right there with JJ." You have the 4th best starting hand there is. Unless your opponent has AA-QQ (which he's almost as likely to slowplay at this point), you're either a slight favorite (with good odds from the pot) or a large favorite.

Auto-call.

fatduck
08-27-2004, 02:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I forgot to mention that not once did the villain make a raise preflop during bubble play, so the hands he might make the move with are right there with jj. I know if he has a non pair hand it will be a coinflip and I am just as likely to see AA as 1010 so I decided to fold. Also the big stacks were playing pretty wreckless, frequently going all in. I thought with there play and the big stacks looseness that I could get my money in on a better spot. All in all I finished seconds after I lost 2 allin coinflips in the heads up match. Does my laydown make a little more sense? /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Depending on your opponents to "knock eachother out" is not particularly good SnG strategy.

patrick dicaprio
08-27-2004, 09:51 AM
doesnt make a difference. this is a push everytime bar none.

Pat

Pubknight
08-27-2004, 03:54 PM
I would ask a question back to the original poster:
If you don't call with this hand (and you don't, since you folded), what exactly *would* it take for you call in this situation?

Lori
08-27-2004, 04:08 PM
Even if you are playing to limp into the money (which many here underrate as a strategy), this is not the time to be folding.

After all other considerations, you are currently lying in fourth place, which means the onus is on YOU to do something to overtake someone.

If you fold this, your nearest contender is going to pull even further away from you and you are going to be under a lot of pressure from here on in.

Lori

Lori
08-27-2004, 04:10 PM
doesnt make a difference. this is a push everytime bar none.

There is a difference between pushing and calling all-in.

You instantly lose a lot of equity when you call by virtue of the fact that your opponent won't be folding.

Although this is often a call, to say it has no exceptions is a long way off the mark.

Lori

Lori
08-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Depending on your opponents to "knock eachother out" is not particularly good SnG strategy.

It has it's place, although you are correct that this is not that place.

Lori