PDA

View Full Version : O'Reilly on Potential RNC protestors

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:09 AM
This is fun, I just want to see the reaction. FWIW, I think he is waaaaay off, but I also think the protests will get out of hand in NYC. The reason I say this is because the anarchist are showing up, and those muthafuckin bastards terrorized my city for 3 days during the WTO meeting. These people have no regard for anything, and they should be jailed immediately if they get out of line.

__________________________________________________ __________________________
Small Minority of Protestors Can Cause Big Trouble
Thursday, August 26, 2004
By Bill O'Reilly

June 10, 2004
Protestors and terrorists, that is the subject of this evening's "Talking Points" memo.

I believe it's safe to say that those of us who live in and around New York City are extremely sensitive to any kind of terror threat. That's obvious after 9/11 (search).

So next week's Republican Convention here is not a relaxed event. And many New Yorkers are leaving town. But coming to town are thousands of protestors, some of whom are terrorists themselves. And that has the potential of becoming a major problem.

New York City must deploy thousands of police to watch these protestors, to make sure they don't hurt anybody or damage property as they have done in the past. Most protestors are peaceful, but a small minority can cause big trouble.

Remember, there were more than 2,000 arrests in San Francisco in 2003 as protestors tried to shut down that city. It was absolutely shameful that the D.A. out there did not have the courage to prosecute those people. He simply let the law breakers go.

But here in New York, that's not going to happen. Protestors who break the law will not be treated kindly by the cops and prosecutors. The judges, well, that's another matter.

However, the new problem is that these potentially violent protestors damage security efforts against the terrorists themselves, who want to kill us. And that's a fact.

So what should happen is that any illegal activity by these protestors should be considered a terrorist act on its face. Putting the lives of New Yorkers in danger by distracting the police is terrorism, period.

There are reports of some anarchists who are going to douse themselves with gun powder to cause security alarms to go crazy. We also hear some of these people may roll marbles underneath the hooves of police horses. Any of that stuff is terrorism and the federal government should take over the prosecution.

Instead of being slapped on the wrist, violent and damage causing protestors should be slapped with federal prison time. Most Americans value protest. I certainly do. But we're fighting a war here. And any act that puts this country in danger is sabotage. Again, a terrorist act.

Homeland Security Czar Tom Ridge (search) should lay it on the line to the protestors. Behave yourselves. You'll be respected. Put Americans at risk, you'll be severely punished. We've asked the secretary to appear with us tomorrow. What say you, Mr. Ridge? And that's a memo.

MaxPower
08-27-2004, 12:14 AM
I've been going to the driving range on Randalls Island (in New York City) frequently recently. For the last 2 months, everytime I go there I see police in riot gear practicing. They even have fake protestors to practice on.

They are definitely expecting the worst.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:15 AM
I think it will get out of hand, seriously. My pops is thinking maybe it'll be like the DNC in Chitown back in '64?

nothumb
08-27-2004, 12:23 AM
The MO for police recently has not been to wait for protestors to get out of hand before acting aggressively, starting with the denial of legitimate protest permit requests and proceeding to unprovoked arrests and harassment.

In fact, the most violent protestors have generally gotten away scot free since Seattle, while the unlucky, peaceful types who refuse to clear a street corner have been the ones tear-gased and thrown in jail.

NT

andyfox
08-27-2004, 12:26 AM
"any illegal activity by these protestors should be considered a terrorist act on its face. Putting the lives of New Yorkers in danger by distracting the police is terrorism, period."

Any illegal activity should be considered a terrorist act? If their permit expires at 11:00 and they don't disband until 12:00? If they get drunk or use profanity in public?

Distracting the police is terrorism? I guess if you have an automobile accident and the police have to come you're a a terrorist. Or if your husband is beating you up.

What country is Mr. O'Reilly living in?

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:29 AM
well his whole "point" is that if any of the protestors break the law while there in NYC, then essentially they are taking away police resources which could be used to combat any potential terrorist attack in NYC. Thats a pretty big stretch.

andyfox
08-27-2004, 12:35 AM
Well you might as well say that when the President has to submit a budget it's taking his time away from fighting terrorism. The police and the President should be fighting terrorism, but not to the exclusion of doing other things.

andyfox
08-27-2004, 12:39 AM
I don't think that Bloomberg will let the police riot like Dayley let them in Chicago in '68.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:40 AM
hey man, I agree with you.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 12:41 AM
well, the police might not riot, but don't sell those anarchist's short.

andyfox
08-27-2004, 01:54 AM
I should have said one might as well say . . . I meant the proverbial "you." Sorry.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 01:57 AM
it's all good, how bout them Yankees?

andyfox
08-27-2004, 02:06 AM
They're basically as good as the bad teams right now, playing close games and either pulling them out in the 9th or losing them in the 8th. They couldn't compete with Minnesota or the Angels, winning only one game in six on a fluky bad performance by Joe Nathan.

How bout them Dodgers and them Adrian Beltre. Yankees ought to get him next year, play him at 3rd, move A-Rod back to short, Jeter to center field, and Williams and Lofton to pinch-hitter/back-up outfielder status. And a couple of starting pitchers who aren't forty years old might help too.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 02:21 AM
I really think the yankees are setting themselves up for a major implosion. Their lack of yound players will greatly hurt them and I don't think they can continue to buy whoever they want.

Cyrus
08-27-2004, 02:27 AM
The stronger those anti-RNC protests will get in New York City, the more the electoral public is going to feel uneasy about the anti-Bush crowd, into which the Kerry-Edrards ticket is lumped, subconsciously.

The choice of venue could be a masterstroke of genius from the part of the Dubya campaign! NYC has always been a Democratic stronghold and its citizens are not exactly known for their mild demeanor! If anything, the Bush campaign would love to have on TV bottles thrown, windows smashed, police rioting, fires, overturned cars, the whole chaotic circus.

This would scare off a lot of undecideds and incidentally identify, in the minds of undecideds, the anti-Bush people with all those radicals and the out-of-control elements who despise America. (Flags will be burned.) In other words, the theme of the convention will implicitly be, the Dems are the real terrorists.

Which means that the Dems in charge of Kerry's campaign should be discreetly but forcefully helping out the police efforts!

riverflush
08-27-2004, 04:47 AM
The Demo Convention in 68 got way out of hand because mayor Richard J. Daley had a "nobody f*cks with me or my city" attitude...which is pretty much the standard operating procedure for the Daley Machine. His son is a couple of notches more mild, but he still runs the city with an "I'm untouchable" attitude (ironically, he is pretty much untouchable). For a current example of this...see his ongoing feud with the Cubs and Tribune Co.

NYC shouldn't get out of hand if they show some restraint and just let these people act like the wackjobs they are.

Chris Alger
08-27-2004, 05:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"distracting the police is terrorism"

[/ QUOTE ]
When the millionaire talking head is as dumb as a cow you have to worry less about terrorists than the millions who take him seriously.

Stu Pidasso
08-27-2004, 06:33 AM
[ QUOTE ]
There are reports of some anarchists who are going to douse themselves with gun powder to cause security alarms to go crazy. We also hear some of these people may roll marbles underneath the hooves of police horses. Any of that stuff is terrorism and the federal government should take over the prosecution

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't call it terrorism. However, I do agree with the theme in O'Reilly's talking points this type of behavior should be prosecuted(not necessarily by the feds) and people responsible punished severely.

Stu

Chris Alger
08-27-2004, 08:03 AM
You don't get it. Do you see any suggestion that the 30,000-man NYPD can't cope with another convention, or that the NYPD will legalize all manner of crime, including the crippling of their horses? Obviously, danger to the public isn't the issue he's trying to raise.

O'Reilly is trying to exploit terrorism hysteria to make protest and civil disobedience against his side a federal offense. Most likely, he wants the government to label left-wing protestors "terrorists" or "enemy combatants" so that they can be thrown into some kind of offshore detention hole indefinitely for trivial offenses such as "distracting" the police.

O'Reilly is just another fascist windbag traditionally associated with the Birchers, Minutemen and other right-wing loons. When I was a kid you'd see them in parks with white socks, 1920's haricuts and purple mimeographed flyers yelling you about how civil rights = communism. On the Murdoch channel, however, he gets the time and production values to make him a celebrity among a certain subculture of TV imbeciles.

Stu Pidasso
08-27-2004, 09:48 AM
Algers

[ QUOTE ]
Do you see any suggestion that the 30,000-man NYPD can't cope with another convention, or that the NYPD will legalize all manner of crime, including the crippling of their horses?

[/ QUOTE ]

No I don't. O'Reilly suggest the complete opposite.

O'reilly

[ QUOTE ]
But here in New York, that's not going to happen. Protestors who break the law will not be treated kindly by the cops and prosecutors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Algers

[ QUOTE ]
Most likely, he wants the government to label left-wing protestors "terrorists" or "enemy combatants" so that they can be thrown into some kind of offshore detention hole indefinitely for trivial offenses such as "distracting" the police.

[/ QUOTE ]

O'reilly

[ QUOTE ]
Instead of being slapped on the wrist, violent and damage causing protestors should be slapped with federal prison time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Chris, your confusing violent and damage cuasing with left-wing protestors. Contrary to popular belief, they are not interchangable phrases. Also, O'Reilly never said anything about offshore detention holes - that was just you imagining "facts" that would bolster your case.

Stu

Garbonzo
08-27-2004, 10:08 AM
As a New Yorker, I take personal offense at the RNC.

If they CARED about OUR safety, or terrorism, or New York, they would not be milking 9-11 or bringing more violence and suffering to this city.

Every single thing the Reilly brings up, was utterly and completely predicatble, it was deemed LESS IMPORTANT than GWB's need to milk 9-11 and parade in front of the city in the US that hates him most.

If they did not want massiove violent protests, then they should have gone elsewhere, and THEY KNOW THAT, and the irony is he is tryiong to milk 9-11, and yet, he hurts the city more by coming here....they don't give a [censored] about the crunchy tree hugging liberals in New York.

The RNC coming to NYC is truly disgusting, and demonstrates a complete disregard for the people he pretending to be there for.

I will be posting pictures of the entire event for those interested.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 11:18 AM
interesting take, But I don't think I would go as far as you. Interesting though, and I agree mostly with you.

ThaSaltCracka
08-27-2004, 11:21 AM
[ QUOTE ]
O'Reilly is trying to exploit terrorism hysteria to make protest and civil disobedience against his side a federal offense. Most likely, he wants the government to label left-wing protestors "terrorists" or "enemy combatants" so that they can be thrown into some kind of offshore detention hole indefinitely for trivial offenses such as "distracting" the police

[/ QUOTE ] I agree with you here, the rest of what you said was typical left-wing mumbo jumbo.

riverflush
08-27-2004, 02:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You don't get it. Do you see any suggestion that the 30,000-man NYPD can't cope with another convention, or that the NYPD will legalize all manner of crime, including the crippling of their horses? Obviously, danger to the public isn't the issue he's trying to raise.

O'Reilly is trying to exploit terrorism hysteria to make protest and civil disobedience against his side a federal offense. Most likely, he wants the government to label left-wing protestors "terrorists" or "enemy combatants" so that they can be thrown into some kind of offshore detention hole indefinitely for trivial offenses such as "distracting" the police.

O'Reilly is just another fascist windbag traditionally associated with the Birchers, Minutemen and other right-wing loons. When I was a kid you'd see them in parks with white socks, 1920's haricuts and purple mimeographed flyers yelling you about how civil rights = communism. On the Murdoch channel, however, he gets the time and production values to make him a celebrity among a certain subculture of TV imbeciles.

[/ QUOTE ]

The X-Files music is playing in here again today...