PDA

View Full Version : River action?

chesspain
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

No read on the Button, who hasn't been here very long.

Preflop: Hero is CO with A/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (7.50 SB) 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif, A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (4.75 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.75 BB) T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero???

sfer
08-27-2004, 12:04 AM
So tempting to checkraise, but I think you have to bet for the same reason you would bet without the T falling on the river: KK/QQ/JJ and smaller pairs will check through.

Nick709
08-27-2004, 12:05 AM
I like a check raise, I don't think button will slow down here.

RiverTheNuts
08-27-2004, 12:07 AM
Yea I say checkraise him... the way you called the reraise PF instead of capping, and then check/calling the whole way, I bet he thinks you have something like KQh ... let him bet into you

chesspain
08-27-2004, 12:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yea I say checkraise him... the way you called the reraise PF instead of capping, and then check/calling the whole way, I bet he thinks you have something like KQh ... let him bet into you

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would she bet the river if she thought I had KQh?

nothumb
08-27-2004, 12:12 AM
As much as my instinct here is to c/r I have to say I'm with sfer 100 percent here. If you lead the flop, he raises and bets the turn, I think you are more able to check-raise on the river. I would probably have bet this flop hoping he held TT-KK. I'm sure you had a good reason not to - what was it?

NT

sfer
08-27-2004, 12:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably have bet this flop hoping he held TT-KK. I'm sure you had a good reason not to - what was it?

[/ QUOTE ]

To encourage KK-TT to keep betting at you. You don't want them to fold.

nothumb
08-27-2004, 12:15 AM
I dunno, my pattern map tells me I really want TT to fold. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Thanks
NT

RiverTheNuts
08-27-2004, 12:18 AM
who knows, haha, you're right, Im just trying to throw my two cents in and learn along with everyone... youll learn to ignore my advice here real quick /images/graemlins/smile.gif she expects a crying call??

sfer
08-27-2004, 12:20 AM
Hehe. Here's to contributing to the increased suckiness of Small Stakes.

http://www.uwm.edu/~nmwolter/moe%20thumbs%20up.gif

EDIT: Ooo. Sarcasm out of control. My brain farted and I thought that the flop had a T. Oh well. I like Moe so he stays.

JohnShaft
08-27-2004, 12:22 AM
This brings up an interesting point (well maybe it's interesting,

How often have people made the Call/Call/Bet with a weak Ace OOP in this exact situation (You raise, they Reraise PF) and actually BEEN raised on the River by AK?

I can't say I can recall it happening to me much.
BUT I love the hell out of a bet here if you think the big Ace *might* raise you because they put you on exactly a worse Ace trying to make a bet on the river, opening him up to your 3-bet.

I'm gonna look for a spot to do this for sure.
I made this play tonight (without the river two pair) and got raised by a set of A's. Oh, the joy.

chesspain
08-27-2004, 12:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
BUT I love the hell out of a bet here if you think the big Ace *might* raise you because they put you on exactly a worse Ace trying to make a bet on the river, opening him up to your 3-bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think if I knew that my opponent had AK then going for the nearly guaranteed checkraise is so much better than betting out and risking that opponent will only call.

JohnShaft
08-27-2004, 12:32 AM
I agree Chess, but NOT if you think you're opponent is aggressive enough to raise his AK here!

I think many a 2+2 poster would know that is the counter to the check/check/bet with a weak Ace. Though I do agree outside of these realms this would only work against the most aggressive.

But the key here isn't KNOWING he has AK, we can't know that.
It's that this play will work if
1. He has the underpair which he wouldn't bet.
2. He has an AK which he will Raise.

If we go for the CR and whiff then we lose a bet of course. Here we get 1 or 3.

chesspain
08-27-2004, 12:47 AM
Since I'm going to bed soon, I'll post the results below in white...don't look if you haven't yet decided on your opinion:

<font color="white">I checked, Button checked behind and showed QcQh, and MHIG...but I'm such a dumbass to miss the river bet, since sfer's comment makes so much sense now. </font>