PDA

View Full Version : Janes Addiction

Nick709
08-26-2004, 11:34 PM
Routine steal?
SB is a tight player and hasn't shown much resistance to any steal attempts I have made however he will get aggresive post flop with the goods. Not much of a read on BB, probably haven't been paying enough attention to him.

Anyhoo here is the hand.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with A/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 6/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">7 folds</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls,

Flop: (6 SB) 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls, BB folds.

Turn: (4 BB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

River: (6 BB) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 6 BB

MarkD
08-26-2004, 11:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Routine steal?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, it isn't much of a steal. You are very likely to have the best hand pre-flop.

Post flop is fine. You could check the turn but if you do you almost have to call the river so you might as well bet and fold to a check raise or check behind on the river.

Well played.

Nick709
08-26-2004, 11:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
you might as well bet and fold to a check raise or check behind on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to fold to the CR but thankfully it didn't come. Do you think there is any value in betting the river? I thought it best to check through but I would like to hear others opinions

MarkD
08-26-2004, 11:45 PM
No there is no value in betting the river. You have ace high. You have a good showdown hand.

You will not make a better hand fold on the river and it is unlikely a worse hand will call you. If you get called on the river your opponent is a favorite to have you beat so there is no value in a bet. Check behind.

nothumb
08-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Nice hand. I often play same. On the river there are no viable draws so he likely has a piece of the board, like a strong nine or a weak jack.

Against very loose blinds I sometimes limp here and wait till after the flop to get aggressive. There's something about that in HPFAP, but with A6o instead of suited, which I guess is a big difference.

[ QUOTE ]
Not much of a read on BB, probably haven't been paying enough attention to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

What a refreshing admission! I think posters should be forced to say this whenever they've played more than 20 hands with someone rather than, "No reads."

NT

thirddan
08-26-2004, 11:47 PM
Given your description of the SB i think there is some value in betting the river...

You say that if he has something good he will become aggressive, so if he had a J or a 9 you would have heard about it, his most likely hands are probably two overs like KQ or AQ or a pocket pair, i suppose that QT or some other missed draw is possible, but his lack of aggression would make me think that he is weak and given your read i might take a shot on the river, you only have to be right 1 out of 6 times...

Edit: I think whether you be or not on the river will depend on whether you think he has a hand that you beat like QT or a hand that that hasyou beat like a bigger A or a pocket pair, and whether he will fold it for one bet on the river. Like Mark said, you can show your A, butyou have to determine if you think your A6 wins enough to want to show it down...

thirddan
08-26-2004, 11:49 PM
Given his read on SB don't you think that the SB would have raised with a J or strong nine once the J pairs?

Nick709
08-26-2004, 11:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Given your description of the SB i think there is some value in betting the river...

You say that if he has something good he will become aggressive, so if he had a J or a 9 you would have heard about it, his most likely hands are probably two overs like KQ or AQ or a pocket pair, i suppose that QT or some other missed draw is possible, but his lack of aggression would make me think that he is weak and given your read i might take a shot on the river, you only have to be right 1 out of 6 times...

[/ QUOTE ]

After thinking about it I have to go with my instinct and Mark on this one: With my read on SB I don't see him calling with a worse hand or throwing away a better one.

MarkD
08-26-2004, 11:58 PM
It doesn't matter if he has a better hand than SB here. He could have a better hand than the SB 95% of the time here and still not bet. He has to be the favorite when he is called to make betting correct in this spot. This is straight TOP stuff.

thirddan
08-26-2004, 11:59 PM
check out my edit...

i wasn't at the table so i obviously don't know the player like you do, but i would be much more likely to check it down on the river if i had AK/AQ, but since your kicker is so low i think i would rather not go to showdown...

Nick709
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
Well I do and that is exactly why I was prepared to throw my hand away. But he could also be calling down with PP 8's through 5's.

thirddan
08-27-2004, 12:01 AM
im not sure if this matters, but isn't that only true if you are betting for value? I think that a lot of this bet would be a bluff? am i thinking way off?

MarkD
08-27-2004, 12:11 AM
Yes, what I said only applies if you are betting for value but as far I can tell any bet on the river here must be a bet for value. What hand makes it to this river that a) has you beat and b) will fold on a total blank. I can't think of any and hence I think a bet on the river must be a bet for value by definition.

thirddan
08-27-2004, 12:24 AM
i think it depends on whether or not SB will lay down a hand like AQ/AT/A8/66/77, after all your aggression and having missed the flop...if he will never fold on the river after calling down then a bet is obviously wrong, but if he can/will fold a bigger missed A or small pair then betting could be correct...

thirddan
08-27-2004, 01:10 AM
Im curious now...Results?

Thanks Mark for replying to all my questions, its been a while since i played or posted...

Nick709
08-27-2004, 01:27 AM
you asked for em and you got em!
The exciting conclusion!
Sb showed KQo and MHIG