PDA

View Full Version : Got it all wrong with trip Jacks...

Ray Of Light
08-26-2004, 09:45 PM
I'm not too sure how aggressive I should have been with this hand...

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (9 handed)

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, MP2 calls, MP3 folds, Ray Of Light calls, Button folds, SB completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Ray Of Light raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Ray Of Light calls.

I thought I was behind to a two pair here. In hindsight, I feel that I should have folded the hand here and be done with it. I have found top pair medium kickers very difficult to play...

Turn: (5.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Ray Of Light raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 3-bets</font>, Ray Of Light calls.

Here is where I think I played it all wrong. This player is obviously unafraid of my flop raise and is unafriad of the second jack. I now figure that he either has something like sevens full of jacks, or that he has me outkickered. Should I have folded here? Or was I right to raise?

River: (11.50 BB) Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Ray Of Light calls.

Final Pot: 13.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 13.50 BB, between UTG+1 and Ray Of Light.</font>

cab4656
08-27-2004, 12:30 AM
I could easily be wrong, but I fold this preflop. After the flop, your play is alright, but I think you got outkicked. Unfortunately, you can't get away from this.

digdeep
08-27-2004, 12:47 AM
I would definitely not fold this preflop. I like the raise on the flop to get a better idea of where you are in the hand. With UTG+1's 3 bet, I might slow down. Any read on UTG+1? He may surely have a pocket pair, flopped his set, and floated his boat on the turn. It is hard to say. If UTG+1 is tight, I would just call his turn bet. If however he is loose, I think the raise on the turn is okay. Calling the 3-bet and the river bet are correct plays. Truly a question of what your read is on the player. I don't think your fold to his raise on the flop is a good move. If however, you are worried about being beat, call the turn and river bets.

cab4656
08-27-2004, 02:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I would definitely not fold this preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely? That seems like a strong word for this situation. Can you give me some reasoning? I might play this if the whole table limped in front of me, but I think calling here is very marginal and it gets you into real iffy situations like these.

Sent
08-27-2004, 03:45 PM
Well the Jack doesnt bother UTG +1 so he either has:

1. A jack
2. A set

or he is crazy LAG hehe

-Sent

secada
08-27-2004, 03:53 PM
call the turn 3-bet, call the river, and hope he shows you 68 /images/graemlins/heart.gif /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

but i would fold to raise on the turn exactly 0 out of 100 times.

-secada

Riposte
08-27-2004, 04:00 PM
Preflop is fine.

Flop is fine, there is no way you should fold this hand. You have top pair plus a backdoor flush draw. You even have a sort of backdoor double gutshot draw.

On the turn you made your set. Unless you have some information on this guy, that he is weak-tight or something that would lead you to believe you are beat, you could have even capped the turn. Odds are this guy is just another LAG. Don't fold a set man! You played the turn fine I think, he may or may not have a full house.

River call is okay too, I think.

lu_hawk
08-27-2004, 04:08 PM
I don't see what you can do differently here.