PDA

View Full Version : AA in the big blind

08-06-2002, 10:11 PM
Loose/ Agressive 5/10 game with many calling stations. 5 Limpers should I raise in the BB with AA?

08-06-2002, 10:45 PM
No, you should wait for a better hand.

- harold

08-06-2002, 11:01 PM
What reason would you have for not raising?

08-06-2002, 11:35 PM
AA suited would be worthy of a raise. Offsuit is dubious.

Seriously, I feel just fine saying you should always raise and reraise with AA pre-flop, even out of position. KK too. By also raising with big suited Aces, you should be able to disguise your hands well enough if you are playing against the same crowd regularly.

08-06-2002, 11:49 PM
My reason for not raising would be keeping the pot small. If this pot is 6 handed with 12 bets anyone with even a gutshot straight draw will and should stay in. It is true I have a better chance of winning than everyonelse, but I have very little chance of improving and 6 handed raised pots are rarely won by just a pair.

I am still interested in hearing from people who DON'T automatically raise with AA or KK, and if you do automatically raise with it do you really feel that it does well 6 handed?

08-06-2002, 11:54 PM
Whenever I have AA, I hope that everybody sees the flop and they all put 5 bets in pre-flop.

I have no desire to keep the pot small. I want to make it <BIG>HUGE</BIG>

08-07-2002, 12:22 AM
If everything was equal, you'd have, 6 handed, a one in six chance of winning the pot. Let's say that with Aces you have a one in five chance of winning the pot.

So, just considering the pre-flop action, if you keep the pot to one bet, 4 times out of 5 you lose $5 and 1 time out of 5 you win $25 for a net of +$5.

If, on the other hand, you manage to get Dynasty's 5 bets in pre-flop, 4 times out of 5 you lose $25 and 1 time out of 5 you win $125 for a net of +$25.

So if "It is true I have a better chance of winning than everyonelse" it would make sense to get as much money as possible into the pot.

08-07-2002, 01:39 AM
...you recently told someone on this forum that he made a mistake by 3-betting AA from the big blind heads-up. I happen to agree with you in both places. Maybe a good rule is: "Always raise and reraise with AA pre-flop from any position, unless you are already heads-up in which case perhaps you should consider smooth-calling."

08-07-2002, 02:19 AM
Oh yeah. I forgot about the heads-up scenario.

08-07-2002, 12:09 PM
Jordan

When ever I am last to act and have the best hand I raise. If you were in early position, then just limping in might be correct. But from the back I RAISE EVERY FREAKIN TIME.

Good luck.

08-07-2002, 08:49 PM
Last week a player, first in,limps on the button. I have 8-2o in the BB.

The flop Comes 2-5-7. I bet, limper calls.

The turn is an 8. I check, limper bets, I raise.

The river is a J. I bet, limper raises, I call.

He shows AA, I show 8-2. He cries. I stack.

Do you think I stick around if he raises pre-flop?

I don't care what the position, or how tricky you want to get, build a pot when you have the best of it.

08-08-2002, 12:32 PM
I like to sit there for two hours not playing any hands at all.

Every time I see a hand without an ace in it at a show down I exclaim "You play that?!"

Whenever I have a hand like KQ or AJ I flip it up on its way to the muck before the flop.

After 2 solid hours of folding and calling attention to it I find myself in the big blind with 72o. The action is 4 ways for 3 bets when it gets to me.. so I cap it.

The flop comes down whatever and I check raise and take the pot down right there and go home.

--

The problem with raising aces from the big blind is you are giving information away unless you make it a common practice to raise from the big blind.

Your more observant opponents are going to run like a bat out of hell when you drill it from the losers seat.