PDA

View Full Version : Legends of Poker report

Dominic
08-26-2004, 06:39 PM
Okay, I went and played the $540 Super Satellite last night for the $5000 main event being held this weekend...

here's how it went...

start with T2000...blinds at 25-25...levels go up every 20 minutes...

140 people...so 14 people win a seat....sweet!

I sit down and immediately notice I have Jim McManus of "Positively Fifth Street" fame on my right and Kenna James on my left. Tobey McGuire is next to Kenna. I also recognize two others from WSOP and/or WPT broadcasts but don't remember their names...gonna be an interesting table...

Almost immediately, Kenna James busts out with AQ to somebodies JJ...he sits and watches for a few more hands, talking it up and being very funny. Seems like a nice guy.

I fold 99 pre-flop after it's raised and re-raised before it even gets to me.

Jim McManus is a cool guy and talks to me about writing (I'm a writer).

Not getting many hands here...I raise with AQ in the CO and pick up the blinds...raise a little later with AK in MP, get re-raised by a guy who was just moved to our table...I think about it a second, move all-in and the guy folds, putting me at about 3000 in chips...

I limp with 99 UTG, get two callers and an all-in...I fold.

Tobey McGuire busts out...seems a little loose...

Amir Vahedi gets moved to our table...Scotty Ngyen is playing a few tables a away, as is Men the Master...

I go card dead for the next 90 minutes...not even a picture card...one time I do get A10 UTG and for some reason I raise(!) simply because I was so excited to see a decent starting hand...I know, stupid...naturally, I get re-raised and I fold.

I'm down to T1500 and the blinds are at 100-200, ante 50...

I figure I'm pretty close to push mode if I get a decent hand...

McManus loses a sizable pot and is scrambling like me...Vahedi isn't playing many hands, for some reason...he's also short-stacked...

I get J9s in the CO, it's folded around to me, I move all in and pick up the blinds and antes...woo hoo!

A half-hour later, it's down to 7 tables...I've got about T1300 and the blinds are at 200-400, antes 100...I'm in deep doo doo.

I pick up A9s in MP, move all-in, immediately get one caller....the others fold...he turns over KK...no help on the board, and I'm out.

Oh well. Tough to do any damage when you're a TAG like me and you get no cards...after I wish everyone good luck, I realize that my last hand was the ONLY one of the tournament where I actually saw a flop! Every other hand I was in - and there were only 5 or 6 - I either picked up with no flop or I folded pre-flop to a raise or re-raise. All the other hands were straight folds...

I find this amazing. I'm curious...anyone else ever play a whole tourney without ever seeing a flop?? I'd say I must've been playing too tight, but the cards I was getting and the fact that it was almost always raised pre-flop prtty much dictated what I was going to do....the only hand I think I could've played differently is the 99 I folded to the all-in...I had about T3000, he had about 1200 and I probably had the best hand...but it was still early and didn't feel like getting involved in a coin flip for half my stack....what do you think?

Oh well. It was interesting, though...cool table, fun group of guys...all in all a great experience...

just wish I could've played a little more poker!

sdplayerb
08-26-2004, 08:07 PM
sorry man. i played the 3:15 yesterday.
I was pissed they changed the structure as it was supposed to be 30 minute rounds.

It didn't help that i had TJ Cloutier directly on my left (so i drew the worst seat in the building) and Jon Bonetti in the across from me.

I had a poor showing, including my thinking a grey chip that was bet was a brown after I said call, crippling me.

I got knocked out with 77 vs AQ by TJ (when he called he said this might be a bad call).

Was cool talking to TJ and Bonetti, who is about as nice as can be.

Also met Fossilman later, great guy.

Dominic
08-27-2004, 02:33 PM
didn't see any of those guys you mentioned....it was an interesting experience playing with the big guys, though...looking forward to doing it again real soon...

FeliciaLee
08-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Seems like the competition was pretty tough. Not such a hot overlay, huh?

Good job, though. I know what it's like to be the tightest player in the field, lol.

Felicia /images/graemlins/smile.gif
www.felicialee.net (http://www.felicialee.net)

Doubling12
08-27-2004, 03:48 PM
Those guys (and girls, Kathy Liebert for one) have been there all month - can't they leave the low buy-in tourneys for the little guys???

I sat with Kenna James at one of the early NL tourneys...he was pleasant but pretty aggressive player. He picked one guy and came over the top every time this poor weak-tighty was in a hand (no it was not me!). But he wore headphones so wasn't really talking.