PDA

View Full Version : 15-30 At Bellagio. Long

08-06-2002, 03:21 PM
I played the NLH tournament at the O'rleans. I finished my customary 40th something out of 119. My buddy Dave had a bunch of chips when I was done. He always has a bunch of chips though. He really makes me wonder just what it is that I do wrong. I promised myself that I would not get upset anymore over these darn Tournaments. So, after I was knocked out I went to the Bellagio and sat in a 15 Holdem game.

I have not played much live game poker over the past few months. There is a very good reason for that. I'm not sure what that very good reason is but I'm thinking one up as I write. Maybe I'll come up with it before I finish this post.

Whatever the reason that I haven't played after playing last night I have concluded that I have made a big mistake. My mistake was not playing more. I am off to Boston this evening and will be back east for maybe a month. So my playing opportunities will be few.

The game at Bellagio was to say the least just the best. The first hand played when I sat down saw 7 players passively seeing the flop. And it just got better. The game could easily be a model for Holdem Heaven, a movie I'm thinking of developing. Just joking about the movie but not the type of game. There were three aggressive types in the game. I know that doesn't sound like a passive game but they were unique in that they were aggressive at different times, not much 3 betting. And they were all agressive for the most part at the wrong time.

After a little over an hour I was stuck a little over $100. I did not make a hand. In fact other than the blinds I limped one time and regrettedf that I might add. I had 9h,8h in mid position with one limper and limped, It was raised by one of the aggressives and when the flop brought nussssing, I folded. I was not happy that I couldn't pick up a hand in this game and even more unhappy that I was stuck. Then I picked up Kd,Jd UTG and limped. 4 others limped and we took the flop 7 handed when both blinds called. The flop came 9d,8d,3h. I bet, the Celtics coach raised. One of the players in the game is a coach with the NBA Boston Celtics. A very nice guy and pleasant to play with. Anyway he raised and the button, an aggressive player, 3 bet. Believe it or not I seriously though of folding but called along with two other including the coach. The turn brought the 7c making the board 9h,8d,7c,3d. I thought of betting but checked. The coach checked and now I was worried. I was worried that he raised with a diamond draw headed by the Ace. The aggressive player bet and something told me to raise and I didn't. I'm confused, still, why I didn't raise but I really believe that it was because I put the coach who was nextr to act on a bigger flsh draw. So then ask yourself why did he call? Which is what I did. O.K. I figured with the gut shot straight, flush draw that might be good along with 2 over cards I had a good enough reason to call although a raise was really the correct play. A ten came on the river and I bet. The coach who had made 2 pair called and I won a big pot putting me up over $200 for the evening.

This is getting long and the only point I was trying to make was how the games were still good at Bellagio. And sometimes even great. Of course the downside of the story is that I later lost a poorly played A,Q to one of the aggressives and I left after 2 and a half hours +$37. I had raise with A,Q from early. 5 callers. He called with 9,4o. Flop came 9,4,3 raisnbow. He bet and for the life of me I don't know why but I called. Turn a 5 and hed bet and I called again. The river was an Ace and he check raised me. Why did I bet? Oh well, I felt drained after that and left.

One concellation was that the coach did tell me that the Foxwoods 15 game was going strong. I hope so. Look out John Cole I'll be there this weekend.

Oh the reason I haven't played much live poker lately is becaus I was pokered out. I had enough and even though it was readily available now that I live in Vegas I just didn't want to play live. Also I wanted to play more tournaments. I did and found that tournament play is the most frustrating endeavor I've ever tried. That's another story. Anyway, I don't know why but I just feel like playing live poker again. I really hope the Bellagio games stay good for my return and I sure hope I play better. Anyone that tells you that Vegas poker is dead don't listen to them. The games are great. See you on the green felt.

Vince

08-06-2002, 03:26 PM
Hit it on the head. Now you will realize why I have only played one session in the six weeks.

It is too hard for me to win.

08-06-2002, 03:42 PM

08-06-2002, 04:05 PM
Dropped a couple racks playing 15 last weekend, but that doesn't change the fact that the players were genuinely horrible.

Found myself saying ni han way too much, but oh well. Wish I could have stayed for the whole week.

~D

08-06-2002, 04:10 PM
The 15/30 at the Bellagio is a very good game but not quite as soft as you guys make it out to be. There are a few very sharp pros who play that game on a regular basis and you need to watch out for them.--Big Al--

08-06-2002, 04:34 PM
"There are a few very sharp pros who play that game on a regular basis and you need to watch out for them.--"

Believe it or not as long as there are only 1,2 or 3 of these pros in your game they will help. That's right they help stabilize the game. They are smart enough to fold when thye should fold and consequently hel the game from becoming a no Foldem Show down. They time you need to be careful is when there are 4,5,6 0r even 7 local pros in the game. Then the only one that has a chance of winning is me. Such is life. Seriousl, if you find yourself in a tough 15 game at Bellagio just wait a while. They have a way of changing.

Vince

08-06-2002, 04:47 PM
I was in Europe for three of them.

08-06-2002, 04:48 PM
Both are great. Coach is great to have in your game. VERY loose, and a very nice guy.

The 15-30 game at Foxwoods pretty much runs 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It's almost always a very good game. Maybe not as passive as the one you described, but there's usually lots of action.

Maybe I'll have to come watch you play and learn a thing or two.

08-06-2002, 05:00 PM
Really? Appearances can be deceptive. What kinds of hands were you playing?

08-06-2002, 05:19 PM
Hey,

you are certainly welcome to come and sweat me at Foxwoods. One thing though. Ilike positive Karma. "RealBigFish" sounds so negative. Please, think about it.

Vince

08-06-2002, 06:52 PM
The kind of hands that either win you a little or lose you a lot.

Maybe you'd think that the games suck. That's your opinion. Mine is that they are great, despite a losing session.

Good point, though. I'll refrain from sharing actual outcomes with the forum.

~D

08-06-2002, 07:39 PM
Vince,

I try to visit the Foxwoods at least once a month. Let me know when you plan on playing there.

I don't play quite as high as you, I usually play the 5-10 kill game.

Let me know when you plan on playing at Foxwoods. I will look for you. Your the bald italian guy, correct? I am also a bald italian guy.hah

Mk

08-06-2002, 08:31 PM
"One thing though. I like positive Karma. "RealBigFish" sounds so negative. Please, think about it."

Would you by chance have any such advice for "stinky finger"?

The foul-smelling one has put up a couple of posts of late on the general HE Forum. One of them asked a good question:

If a little genie said "I can tell you one thing about each of your opponents' playing tendencies that is 100% accurate", what is the one thing you would want to hear the most i.e. put another way, which aspect of an opponent's playing tendencies (if known to you and only you) would benefit your bankroll most.

08-06-2002, 10:28 PM
"stinky fingers"

Well, one of the ways of getting "stinky fingers" is not necessarily a negative thing. But it does beg a lot of questions.

"aspect of an opponent's playing tendencies"

What the hell does that mean? Are you asking me what 100% positive "tell" I would want. If so then you already know the answer.

Vince

08-07-2002, 02:04 AM
Reel Big Fish is actually the name of a band. I'm not a huge fan, but I like 'em. I thought the name would be funny.

I remember you said once that you didn't read posts by Josh W when he went by Gummy Worm because you didn't take the name seriously. I've been thinking about changing my name for the same reason. What do you think?

By the way, I'm all about positive Karma. If I'm sweating someone, I want them to win. It's more fun to watch that way.

08-07-2002, 02:16 AM
I moved away from Boston a year ago, but they had a really good 20-40 game at Mohegan Sun when I was there.

palpatine

08-07-2002, 02:47 AM
I heard several people say a month or so ago that the 20-40 at Mohegan was just a great game. I think everyone else heard that too, because a bunch of strong players have moved over to that game from the 15-30 at Foxwoods.

The 20-40 is going most days, but isn't such a good game right now.

08-07-2002, 10:59 PM
20-40 Holdem for a real good poker player will never be as good a game as a 15-30 game given the same players. Do you know why?

Vince

08-07-2002, 11:03 PM
I did not know about the band. Sorry. Since the reason you have for the name makes sense just tell this old man to stick it. I apologize and do not see any reason for you to change your handle.

Vince

08-08-2002, 01:05 AM
I assume that you are refering to the 2/3 blind structure in the 15-30 game, which will make the game looser since the ante is proportionally higher. However, I don't think that this would be enough to overcome the 33% increase in stakes between 15-30 and 20-40.

palpatine

08-08-2002, 02:33 AM
I'm also guessing you are refering to the blind structure.

This may be a stretch, but the fact that 15-30 is played exclusively with $5 chips helps too I think. People just love calling with long shots with that mountain of chips on the table. There's a lot more $25 chips in the 20-40 game, so less total chips in the pot.

I think that would make for a good topic in the psychology forum

08-08-2002, 02:35 AM
Don't worry, no offense taken. I didn't think you were being the least bit insulting.

Besides, I'm not wild about the name.