PDA

View Full Version : 2's on the button

08-05-2002, 06:25 PM
15-30, 8 handed. 3 limpers, a solid player raises, 1 cold call. Your on the button with pocket 2's. Whats your play?

08-05-2002, 07:04 PM
Are there enough players in the pot who will pay you off if you flop a set?

There's your answer.

Although, I don't like your position relative to the raiser. I'd prefer it was an EP raise and many cold-called after him.

08-05-2002, 07:06 PM
My first thought is to fold.

My second thought is to fold.

My third thought is to fold.

I can see how the implied odds could make you think about it, because this pot will likely be at least 6-handed on the flop.

However, you have to think about what is likely to happen later. What do you do when you call, the BB calls, and UTG raises? What do you do when it's 7 players for two bets, and the flop comes JT2 two-suited? In fact, short of 22x, is there ANY flop with which you are comfortable playing this hand?

Bottom line: Deuces on the button can be a profitable play, but not in this situation.

08-05-2002, 07:27 PM

08-05-2002, 07:37 PM

08-05-2002, 09:07 PM

08-05-2002, 09:09 PM
Andy, remember that post about looking at one, then mucking?

Was that you, the one who would only play if the the first card dealt to you was an ace or a paint?

Just chcking.

08-05-2002, 09:12 PM
Call! 3 limpers + 1 raiser + 1 cold caller + you + 2 blinds= possible FAMILY POT! If you can get in on a 6-7 handed pot with any pocket pair for only 2 bets and position, i think it's an easy call. Only one player showing any real strength, possible 8-1 preflop alone. What is not to like about this? It will be an easy call/fold decision on the flop. But that's just me.

DN

08-05-2002, 09:17 PM
Actually it was a friend of mine that caught this hand yesterday. He folded his 2's.

John R must be a mindreader because the only reason for the post, was that the flop came:

2-2-5 !!

After neeedling him a bit, I still believe he made the right decision. But to Dynasty's point, the Kings full of 2's that took the very large pot, would have paid handsomely.

There were a couple of players that thought he should have called on the button, so I thought I'd see what the board had to say. Thanks for the responses.

08-05-2002, 11:11 PM
Saw a flop of 8h9h3x with 55, and I did have the 5h in my hand. I mucked to a bet and a raise on the flop. Of course I caught runner-runner 5's.

I think I did the right thing, as I think your friend did.

~D

08-06-2002, 12:05 AM
I don't remember, but it might have been.

Anyway, if the pot's raised in front of me, I don't want to play any hand that has a deuce in it. I remember Mason writing something about not worrying about losing with a set to a bigger set, if you play right it just won't happen very much. I notice it happens to me a lot less since I stopped cold-calling raises with small pairs.

08-06-2002, 05:41 AM
Noo Yawk,

This is one of the rare spots were cold-calling is right and I don’t think it is that close. You figure to have six opponents and your hand is easy to play. You either flop a set or get out. When you flop a set and win you should make about ten to fifteen bets post flop. Add this to the twelve bets already in and you easily meet Mason’s criteria for winning ten times the pre flop investment when playing the small pair.

Regards,

Rick

08-08-2002, 06:53 PM
Touche.

But man, I view this differently. In this situation, not only do I look at my second card, I do so somewhat eagerly hoping it's a deuce so that I can get in there with the chance of winning a big pot.

BTW, I readily recognize that when it comes to baby pairs, I have a bit of a gambling streak in me that may not exactly be positive Ev.