PDA

View Full Version : results from my 1st 10 sngs

rybones
08-26-2004, 01:35 PM
so I have now played 10 10+1 sng. 4 at paradise and 6 at pp. I have listed the results below. In all but one game I have stuck pretty well to the system outlined by Aleomagus in the faq thread. Now I know that I need to improve my post flop play and some other leaks. but for the most part I feel I am playing fairly well. my questions is do these results look good for a newbie?

PP

1 1st place
1 3d place
2 4th place played way too many drawing hand that never hit)
2 10th place (once I lost with Q,Q all-in to K,K all-in, and once I did not bet enought with Q,Q preflop to push out someone who floped 2 pair and I couldn't get away from my hand)

Paradise

2 1st places
1 4th place (blinded out)
1 6th place (small stack and what I feel was a good push A, Js lost to a weaker hand K, 10 by a large stack. I would have called If I were him too)

so, does it look like I am on the right track, or do I need to find a way to look for other leaks? As it stands, I know I have played too my draws and I need to push big pairs more early.

any advice appreciated, especially on how to turn the 4th places into the money. I wonder If I should be playing more high connecting cards -- A, J or K, J -- and then playing agressive post flop if I hit but also willing to drop them if I appear dominated?

Lori
08-26-2004, 01:38 PM
You are going to get people telling you to come back after 100 more, and in some respects they are right.

However, based on this very limited information, it does appear that you at least have a grasp for what is going on, and although it is far to early to say if you are a winning player or not, it appears that you are not going to lose fortunes while you learn.

Lori

rybones
08-26-2004, 01:47 PM
I agree about the 100 or more. what about the pushing big connecting cards to see a flop? good idea or bad?

Cleveland Guy
08-26-2004, 02:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so, does it look like I am on the right track, or do I need to find a way to look for other leaks? As it stands, I know I have played too my draws and I need to push big pairs more early.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's early - 10 is a very small sample. People will right about being shut out in 10 straight, or hitting money in 9 out of 10.

You do seem on the right track, but that doesn't mean stop looking for leaks. You should always be on the lookout for a possible leak

poboy
08-26-2004, 06:00 PM
Way too soon to tell. 10 SNG's is just a drop in the bucket. Even if you had lost all 10 it wouldn't mean your a losing player, just as winning all 10 doesn't make you a winning player. As for playing too many draws, it sounds like you aren't following Aleo's advice. These are excellent spots to try and bluff , you'll find most times you won't even have to hit your draw. If you want some better advice post a few hands that you have questions about. The other posters here are quite willing to tell you what your doing wrong and give you some ideas on how to play it better. The best advice I can give is just keep playing, I think anyone who plays enough can become a profitable player. Poker is a game not brain surgery.

codewarrior
08-26-2004, 06:54 PM
Based on the limited sample size and information, I'll give you my read...

You play aggresively, and a little loose. You think you play tight, and you have good starting hand requirements - for a limit ring game.

So my suggestion is this. Tighten up on your starting hands a little more, and play Paradise since having more starting chips will cover your style of play better while you are learning. Better yet, play at Stars, you start with 1500 chips there - and by watching your opponents (the good ones) you will learn where you may be going wrong in short order.

To turn those 4ths into $, tighten up earlier, so you can be more aggr. on the bubble, & have the table image and chips to do so.

How's my read?

(edit: PS play in the 2+2 games tonight at either 8:00 or 9:30pm EDT)