PDA

View Full Version : Call or come over the top?

mrbaseball
08-26-2004, 01:03 PM
This situation comes up semi-frequently and I'd like to get some thoughts on it. I realize a lot depends on position and stack sizes but just looking for general feelings.

The hypothetical sitation is this. Blinds 200/400. Smallish stack (1/4 of yours) goes all in in EP with 2K in chips. It seems reasonable due to his stack vs blind structure he could have a very wide range of hands. You are in cutoff with a premium hand. A good enough hand to play in this sitation (ie 22-AA A/JQK).

Do you call the raise or come over the top trying to shut out the button and blinds? Are you more or less likely to come over the top if the players behind you have you covered or not?

I think in most cases I prefer to come over the top to get heads up in this situation but would like to hear others feelings.

Bernas
08-26-2004, 01:16 PM
If I have AA or KK I simply call this as I don't mind one other person in the pot. If I have anything less I usually come over the top.

Just my opinion.

soxfan70
08-26-2004, 01:21 PM
I think it depends more on your actual holdings than on other stacks having you covered. A hand like a middle pair I think I come over the top to shut out a hand like AJ (or any other two overcard hand) that might consider playing if I just call. A larger pair QQ-AA, I call and take my chances I think.

mrbaseball
08-26-2004, 01:29 PM
The example that got me thinking here was the WSOP hand where Fischman called the shortstack with AK and Brunson came over the top with KK. Obviously KK was coming anyway but with that AK do you call like Fischman or come in all the way? Obviously KK wasn't folding but I think an all in coulda got plenty of hands he didn't want to be up against to drop out.

But this situation does come up a lot and unless I come over the top (unless I have AA or KK) I always feel like I should have.

woodguy
08-26-2004, 01:48 PM
With AK I would push to isolate. Brunson was coming anyway, but I think the push is the right move.

I'll only flat call with AA as I want to minimize the odds for any A when I hold KK.

regards,
woodguy