PDA

View Full Version : Stupid question re: rebuys, add-ons

koko2315
08-26-2004, 12:52 PM
What's the difference, when can I re-buy as opposed to add-on.

I apologize for the idiocy of my question.

jedi
08-26-2004, 01:09 PM
Well, this is the beginners forum, so don't worry about "stupid" questions.

There's really not much difference between a re-buy and an add-on.

Typically, a tournament with unlimited rebuys for the first hour (for example) will allow you to buy X about of chips for $Y assuming you're under a certain chip level. At the end of the first hour, anyone may add-on for more chips at another dollar amount. The key here is that ANYONE may add-on, but during the rebuy period, only players with a chip stack below a certain amount may rebuy.

If a tournament has only 1 rebuy, basically consider that to be an any-time add-on during the rebuy period.

koko2315
08-26-2004, 01:12 PM
So basically, it's a race to buy chips as much as anything else. SO unless I'm prepared to pay 3x the entry fee up front...I'll be far outstacked?

Vollycat
08-26-2004, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So basically, it's a race to buy chips as much as anything else. SO unless I'm prepared to pay 3x the entry fee up front...I'll be far outstacked?

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO... No not realy. In some of the smaller rebuy tournies people will 'gamble' on cards like crazy because they know they can always just buy in again and start over. If you are the lucky person to be up against them you can have a very healthy stack without ever having to rebuy OR add-on at the end of the rebuy period (usually the first hour of the tournament(?)) If you hold your own and are doing OK but want a few more chips, you add-on at the end of the re-buy period.

At least that's my take on it!

koko2315
08-26-2004, 01:58 PM
Interesting...very interesting. I figured going in it'd cost me $40 + 10. Then another $80 for rebuys. I now I can hold my own unless I run into a buzzsaw.

Vollycat
08-26-2004, 02:13 PM
I know there are a bunch of people with more experience than myself, but I've found that if you are in a $10 rebuy, I would make sure I am comfortable with spending about $30. $10 to start, $10 if I get unlucky and I push real hard (lost with AA 3 out of 4 times last night /images/graemlins/confused.gif) to rebuy once, and then $10 to add on if I feel I need it. For the most part I feel if I have to spend more than that--it ain't gonna happen! But I've gone deep into these tournies (and even to final table a few times) without ever spending more than the initial buy-in.

koko2315
08-26-2004, 02:36 PM
Sweet. I thought the $40 + $10 meant. $40 buy in plus $10 entry fee.

Rebuys and add ons would also be $40 a pop?

Vollycat
08-26-2004, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I thought the $40 + $10 meant. $40 buy in plus $10 entry fee.

Rebuys and add ons would also be $40 a pop?

[/ QUOTE ]
Now I think I'm confused. If you are playing at a site that has a rake of $10 for every $40 buyin--change sites. Typical $10 buy in/rebuy has a $1 rake and is listed as $10+$1. Therefore, each buyin/rebuy/addon is going to cost you $11. That clear it up? /images/graemlins/cool.gif

jedi
08-26-2004, 03:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not exactly. Remember, you can only rebuy IF your chip stack has fallen below the pre-determined level. Since everyone gets to make the add-on, it's not an advantage or disadvantage, unless you're unwilling to make the add-on. You can look at rebuys in a couple of ways. One is to play really loose and just rebuy as much as you want, or to play normal and use a rebuy in case you make a mistake.

It's almost always +EV to take the add-on and any available rebuys at the end of the rebuy period.

If you're budgeting for the tournament, figure that you'll defintely be taking the add-on, and 1 or 2 rebuys.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-26-2004, 10:16 PM
No. You should take every rebuy and add-on that you're entitled to take. If you aren't willing to do that, you probably shouldn't play in the tournament. (the preceding was an approximation of advice given here by the Fossilman)

To not do this is to put yourself at a disadvantage from the start.