PDA

View Full Version : what does it mean to make 1 BB per hour

TheSheath
08-26-2004, 12:26 PM
does that mean win one big pot every hour or what? i keep reading it and i can't figure it out.

OrangeHeat
08-26-2004, 12:32 PM
For limit Hold'em 1 BB hour means 1 Big Bet per hour.

For example if you are playing $3/$6 Hold'em 1BB/Hour would be $6/hour.

In no-limit it is typically Big Blind per hour.

Orange

Smokey98
08-26-2004, 01:11 PM
What is "average" on 2/4 and 3/6? For most people?

OrangeHeat
08-26-2004, 01:25 PM
the "average player" loses.

A general rule of thumb that depends on a lot "depends on"'s is that a good player should be able to make 1 BB/hour at brick and mortar paces of about 30 hands per hour.

Orange

illunious
08-26-2004, 02:36 PM
It's worth mentioning, this stat is normally an average calculated after tens of thousands of hands. It does not coincide with how well you played in the short term.

MaxPower
08-26-2004, 02:45 PM
It just the amount you will win in BB divided by the number of hours you have played. Somes hours you will win a lot, some you will lose a lot, some you will break even. Once you have played many hours divide the number of Big Bets you won (for instance at a 3/6 game $900 would be 150 BB) by the number of hours you have played.

That is your hourly rate. If you are good, it will be positive.

You should not expect to acheive this rate for every hour that you play - it is an average. Your actual results will vary widely around this average.

RydenStoompala
08-27-2004, 02:47 AM
It means your game has leaks.

Webster
08-27-2004, 07:23 AM
Many people will say the yare making 3BB per hour. 95% of all players make less then 0BB per hour.

It all depends really. I make less then I want to but am happy to be one of the few winners after 40,000 hands.

The problem is streaks. The last 1000 hands I'm averaging 9BB/hour. I know this is not a sign of how good I am but a sign how good the cards have been.

Most people spout large averages but have not gone theough The Streak yet. A week/month where they can not hit a thing and when they do hit their hand somebody STILL beats them.

You would be surprised how fast your numbers can fall.

I do not trust even people playing 2 cent games when they say the yare winning 5BBs per hour.

The bottom lins is how much are you making. IF you are winning 4BB/hour and playing 1 hour a week . . .big deal.

If you are winning 1BB/hour and playing 40 hours a week I'd say your a better player.

SirArthur
08-28-2004, 09:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Many people will say the yare making 3BB per hour. 95% of all players make less then 0BB per hour.

The problem is streaks. The last 1000 hands I'm averaging 9BB/hour. I know this is not a sign of how good I am but a sign how good the cards have been.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm just curious where you got the 95% number from? It seems a bit high. Is that just for B&M where the # is higher due to larger rack/jackpot/tipping etc?
Or is that an average for both online & B&M?

I would say that online there are many more long term winners compared to B&M due to lower rake, no tipping, and no jackpot money being taken out in addition to being able to reach the long rung faster due to the jacked up hands per hour you can play.

And you're right, your BB/hr rate over 1000 hands is rather insignificant, that's a day or two of play online.

Kurn, son of Mogh
08-28-2004, 09:15 AM
It means that if you play 3/6, you make $6 per hour.

deacsoft
08-29-2004, 03:40 PM
It's over rated. BBs per hour say nothing of the number of hands played durring that hour. I believe BBs per 100 (or 200, 400, etc) hands would be the correct way to figure a solid win rate. And as illunious said, short term results are nearly meaningless.

wdbaker
08-31-2004, 03:29 AM
It means that if your playing .50/1.00, and making one BB per hr which is 1.00 per hr, that after 3 hrs you can go to McDee's and get the spicy chicken, value frie and coke off the dollar menu /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

One Street at a Time
wdbaker Denver, Co