PDA

View Full Version : AA preflop. What should I have done differently?

JimBob2232
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
I was at a SnG (5+1). First hand, so no reads on anyone. I get AA in late position. A few people limped into the pot, I raised it to 50, and got 1 caller.

Flop hit Q Q 9

We both check.

Turn is a 3.
She bets 100, i raise to 250, and she calls.

River is a 2.
She checks
I bet 150
She calls.

She shows Q4, I lose.

My question is this. How should I have played this differently? Should I have bet more pre-flop? If i bet after the river, its unlikely she would have folded with a set of queens. Should I have raised more preflop and taken down a small pot with my aces?

wuwei
08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I had a similar situation the other day on the button with aces on the first hand of a 10+1 sng. There was a bunch of limpers (5 I think) when it was my action. You have to make a substantial bet here, at least 100-150, to limit this field. Way too many people like to play the first hand with anything in these sngs.

In my case, I decided to try something a little different. I pushed. If everyone folds, I'm content to have picked up ~100 chips on the first hand. But there's always the chance that people will think I'm a typical maniac, and call me with a smaller pair or an Ace. Well, the SB got pissy, made a comment on my play, and then called with his pair of 3s. He lost. I liked the play, and will likely try it again if I get Aces on the first hand.

The4thFilm
08-26-2004, 12:46 PM
Raise much more preflop

Lori
08-26-2004, 12:49 PM
You could have raised a little more preflop, depending on how many 'a few' callers is, but I don't think what you did is particuarly criminal or anything.
Be aware in the $5s that people might well call what seems to be a particuarly silly amount (150, 200) if they already have chips in the pot, so it is often best to make the mistake of raising too much rather than not enough.

However, you got pretty much the ideal result, one caller is pretty much ideal.

I bet this flop. I want to know where I am right now, if she calls she quite possibly has the Queen and will also quite possibly check again, giving you a chance to hit the miracle on the river.

Your river bet is bad, she has now missed all available drawing hands (JTs etc) and will only be calling with a queen or a nine, but would probably have bet a nine on the flop.

Although sometimes you will get paid here, you will not only lose more often than you win, but will occasionally get reraised and really be put to the test.

Lori

ChrisCo
08-26-2004, 01:59 PM
I too like the play of pushing aces on the first hand. I have done it several times and the whole table seems to take offense when you do it. I have done it i think 4 times and got called twice, so it is a profitable play.

mistrpug
08-26-2004, 02:54 PM
I always push with aces or kings on the first hand of a sit and go. People with medicore hands will definitely call you enough for this to be the right play.