PDA

View Full Version : SSH Question, (Hand History)

Expunge
08-26-2004, 12:08 PM
Dealth JdTd utg, You limp, MP1 limps, MP2 limps, CO limps, SB limps, BB raises, everyone calls, 6way (12 small)

Flop 9hQsKc:
SB checks BB bets you???? Call MP1 folds, MP2 calls, CO calls SB folds (8 big)

Turn Ac
BB bets, you???? Raise, MP2 folds, CO folds, BB reraises, You cap. (16 big)

River Ah
BB checks, you??? Bet, BB raises, you call.

OK I think I made a couple mistakes in this hand. First I think I should have raised immediately on the flop. The pot is big enough already and I need to protect my hand vs AT and AJ hitting broadway, Also scare away anyone thinking about drawing to a backdoor flush but I doubt that anyways. The full houses draws aren’t going anywhere anyways so might as well make them pay. Lose more than I gain by waiting till the turn.

I think I played the turn correctly.

The river. You think its safe to check the river down since its risking two bets to win one, with my opponent more likely than not having the full house.

BigEndian
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
No raise by you on the flop is going to run anyone off. Moreover a raise on the flop would not be for protection but for value. You played the hand fine and lost, it happens. I might check the river through in my weaker moments.

Flopping a straight is a lot like flopping a set, if you lose and you didn't lose a lot, you didn't play it right.

- Jim

Expunge
08-26-2004, 12:39 PM
I don't have a problem with losing the hand. Just trying to figure out if was wrong missing the raise(s) on the flop.
OI don't have a problem with losing the hand, that’s poker. Just trying to figure out if was wrong missing the raise(s) on the flop.
Also trying to figure out if betting the river here is the correct move or not. If I check it down I save two bets in this hand. Its roughly risk 2 bets to gain 1 bet. I would be surprised to get just a call and lose, or to get a raise and still win so those roughly cancel each other out.

Cleveland Guy
08-26-2004, 12:45 PM
I would check the river.

A hand that is going to beat you will likely raise you, and as you showed, your not going to fold to a raise here.

A hand that got no help from the river is going to fold to your bet. Someone with just a K, or maybe QJc - didn't hit his straight or flush.

When I'm last to act and the river card is one that can possibly take way from me having the nuts I like to check.

sthief09
08-26-2004, 12:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
A hand that got no help from the river is going to fold to your bet. Someone with just a K, or maybe QJc - didn't hit his straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

is this a joke? checking the river is terrible.

BaronVonCP
08-26-2004, 12:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]

When I'm last to act and the river card is one that can possibly take way from me having the nuts I like to check.

[/ QUOTE ]

In general this is a horrible plan.

Cleveland Guy
08-26-2004, 12:59 PM
2 posts in 2 minutes telling me I'm wrong.

Thanks for the feedback, I guess I need to make a change in my game!

If one of you could please - why is this a weak move? I'm trying to learn, and if this is a leak in my game, I'd like to understand why

arkady
08-26-2004, 01:23 PM
Its a horrible move, because you are playing scared, like a little child on the playground that just got robbed of his lunch money. On top of that you are cluttering the mind of newer posters and creating weakness within their own play.

You will check and it will get checked behind you TONS of times, because a scare card for you can be a scare card for anyone else. They can also check, because they only had middle pair. They can check because thats what they feel like doing. They can check because they had bad meat loaf earlier. Meanwhile you are checking through the best hand, where if you bet they will call. They will call, because they have bottom pair, middle pair, Ace high, underpair. They will call to keep you honest or to get information, or maybe cuz they feel like it - but they will call.

You combine all the times you check it through because you got SCARED and you are missing precious bets, not small bets, BIG bets.

This mentality of yours is a leak about the size of a waterfall. But don't be upset, everyone starts like that. Thus is the natural progression of a poker player - playing scared, timid, passive poker. Hence why weakness on this forum is so shunned, we just try to beat it out of you. Hope you enjoyed your first beating, it not nearly as harsh as it should be. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Trix
08-26-2004, 01:30 PM
Raise flop.