PDA

View Full Version : more NYC questions

M2d
08-26-2004, 11:42 AM
my mom's friend mentioned a couple of spots, and I'd like to get your opinions on these:

Harbor Lights in the South St. Seaport area
Union Square Cafe
The Harrison in Tribeca
Le Zinc near Tribeca
Manetus
Joe Allen Restaurant
The Garage

thanks in advance

sfer
08-26-2004, 12:14 PM
Union Square Cafe is absolutely tops. Get reservations.

I like Le Zinc too. Good place to have a drink.

turnipmonster
08-26-2004, 02:28 PM
sfer is right, union square cafe is top notch. incidentally, the guy that owns union sq cafe (danny meyer) also has two other excellent restaraunts in the neighborhood, tabla and gramercy tavern.

--turnipmonster

sfer
08-26-2004, 02:45 PM
Yeah, Gramercy is wonderful too. I was just thinking of some other good neighborhood places and what comes to mind are Blue Hill, Le Jardin Bistro, Moto and Dumont in Williamsburg, Blue Ribbon and Blue Ribbon Sushi.

Ulysses
08-26-2004, 05:15 PM
I like that Union Square Cafe a lot as well. It's nothing you can't get out here, but I also really like China Grill's Asian fusion a lot. I had an incredible meal at Aquagrill last time I was in NYC. Blue Water Grill is also really good. Of course, we could go on forever about great places to eat in NYC. Oh yeah, I'm very partial to Steak au Poivre & Frites at Raoul's.

sfer
08-26-2004, 08:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
...but I also really like China Grill's Asian fusion a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. I'm a little disappointed, Diablo. I think a place like Betelnut is way better.

superleeds
08-26-2004, 08:57 PM
The problem with Union Sq Cafe is they don't know how to do a proper Irish Coffee altho they are not alone in this. The only place I ever found that could do one was some crappy bar in Hells Kitchen.

Rushmore
08-26-2004, 08:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
my mom's friend mentioned a couple of spots, and I'd like to get your opinions on these:

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
The Garage

[/ QUOTE ]

Uhhh, I think your mom's friend is pretty hardcore, considering this was the venue which last saw the immortal, late G.G. Allin (http://www.ggallin.com/). He died shortly thereafter of (gasp!) a heroin overdose, of all things.

I don't think Woody Allen will be seen there.

Ulysses
08-26-2004, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
...but I also really like China Grill's Asian fusion a lot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh. I'm a little disappointed, Diablo. I think a place like Betelnut is way better.

[/ QUOTE ]

Betelnut used to be great. Over the last few years it has gone downhill a bit. I still like it, but don't put it among my favorite SF restaurants.

I agree that China Grill may not be all that great, but there are a handful of things there that I really love and since I only get to go there about once a year, it seems extra special.

sfer
08-26-2004, 11:07 PM
I haven't been since 2001. That's a shame.

turnipmonster
08-27-2004, 12:59 AM
if that's the same garage as my local card barn orders from, their burritos are overpriced but the best in nyc.

--turnipmonster