PDA

View Full Version : Calling all stations...

MoDOH
08-26-2004, 11:41 AM
To all you TAG:s LAG:s and maniacs out there. Is there any time to just call down all the way,just following along...

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed)

Preflop: Hero is SB with Q/images/graemlins/club.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG folds, UTG+1 folds, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, CO folds, Button calls, Hero completes, BB checks.

Flop: (5 SB) K/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(5 players)</font>
Hero checks, BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, Button calls, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 folds.

Turn: (4 BB) Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

River: (7 BB) K/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP2 checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls.

Final Pot: 10 BB

Rico Suave
08-26-2004, 11:52 AM
MoDOH:

I would fold the flop.....7:1 on a gutshot (&amp; BDF) with a 2 tone board not closing the action.

--Rico

Cleveland Guy
08-26-2004, 11:56 AM
What hands did you think you beat?

On the flop - your calling with an inside straight draw and backdoor flush

On the turn - you hit your Q, but your still behind a K, a 2 pair, and now a flush or a straight (J10 - unlikely, but possible)

On the river - another K, so now we are looking at a possible full house? probable flush or 3 of a kind.

I'd be very shocked to see if you won this hand, and even if so I don't like the play.

CORed
08-26-2004, 11:57 AM
The call on the flop with a gutshot + backdoor flush and a two suited board is questionable. Other than that, I think you played it OK.

DiceyPlay
08-26-2004, 11:59 AM
Yes, I think there are. But there are always alternative lines to take.

In your scenario, since you have a gutshot and a backdoor flush, what's wrong with check-raising the flop. If your opponent re-raises, you can fold. That saves you 3 small bets when compared to calling down. If you get called you can bet the turn and fold to a raise. You still save 1 small bet when compared to calling down. But you may pick up the pot on the flop or the turn. You may hit a club and improve your draw. You may hit your T.

By playing aggressive you also gain valuable information about what your oppoents do and, more importantly, DO NOT have.

Ooops, and I forget. In this case, since you flopped only a draw(s) and the pot is small, folding the flop is probably best.

tolbiny
08-26-2004, 12:04 PM
what's wrong with check-raising the flop. If your opponent re-raises, you can fold.

I'm sorry Dicey but this has to be some of the worst advice given on this board. When you have a drawing hand you dont raise for "information" you are not assuming that your gutshot/BDF is ahead, what you are considering is weather or not it will be profitable enough to call with.

daveymck
08-26-2004, 12:11 PM
Anyone for a preflop raise?

As you didnt I fold the flop pot is small you have maybe 5 outs some are not clean fold and be done.

edited as didnt read his position.

DiceyPlay
08-26-2004, 12:12 PM
You're absolutely right. I brain farted. I guess I should have said that if you decide to continue (which you probably should not), an alternative line is probably better.

I apologize to the original poster.

daveymck
08-26-2004, 12:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
what's wrong with check-raising the flop. If your opponent re-raises, you can fold.

I'm sorry Dicey but this has to be some of the worst advice given on this board. When you have a drawing hand you dont raise for "information" you are not assuming that your gutshot/BDF is ahead, what you are considering is weather or not it will be profitable enough to call with.

[/ QUOTE ]

People have to remeber not all of us are posting advice, we are posting our thoughts to improve our understanding and have others debate and correct.

Everyone says to new posters post and hands and post responses to hands dont take what people "advise" as gospel.