PDA

View Full Version : golfers, why name brands?

M2d
08-26-2004, 11:37 AM
granted, name brands are what the pros hit, and (you'd think) they play what's best for their games, but i've always felt better playing my components (specifically, snake eyes) clubs. My TC-01 irons feel better than any titlists or callaways I've hit, and cost a fraction of the price. with the savings on the initial purchase, I'm able to afford the shafts I want and the custom fitting (loft and lie) that I need.
also, hands down, the best drivers I've hit have been components (higher end, but components, nonetheless). I have a 9 degree stilletto driver (I didn't buy it through the informercial, but through a custom clubfitter) and a 6 degree big bang that I initially bought as a long drive toy, but has worked its way into my bag for rounds on certain courses. My next golf purchase is probably going to be a bang FU2 or SMT inception in 8.5 degree.

some people I ask say that they like to know that they have a name brand club in their hands. I have no problem with this, since the mental side is 90 percent of the game. what's your reason for playing name brand clubs?

MaxPower
08-26-2004, 11:51 AM
I think most people don't realize that high quality components exist. They probably assume that anything that is not a name brand is a cheap knockoff. I used to feel this way, until I learned about component clubs.

If they are put together well, the component clubs are as good or better than the name brands. I went to a clubfitter and bought a Wishon Grand Monarch driver that is excellent. I sent my friend to the same guy and he got a KZG Gemini Driver, which gave him much more length and accurary. He had the clubfitter make one for his dad - same thing. Now all his dad's friends want one.

I still have my Callaway X-14 irons, which I think are excellent, but if I ever replace them I will consider a component set.

There is a real benefit to going to a clubfitter whether or not you buy component clubs or get fit for name brand set.

nolanfan34
08-26-2004, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think most people don't realize that high quality components exist. They probably assume that anything that is not a name brand is a cheap knockoff.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. There's a huge difference between component clubs and knockoffs, and I don't think people realize that.

My step-father is an engineer, and I couldn't believe that he bought a cheap Taylor Made Bubble Burner ripoff club. Those knockoffs are crap, and not worth the money.

But a high quality component set can be great. My father-in-law has a set of Snake Eyes irons as well, and really likes them.

In the end, to answer the original question, golf is merely a game of image. It's a social status game, and people like having the name brand stuff in their bag. Heck, I'm sure I could putt just as well with a cheap WalMart putter, but I still have a Ping in my bag.

HDPM
08-26-2004, 01:18 PM
Putters are maybe the most important to have high quality IMO. I have never picked up a cheap putter that had decent weight, set up, etc... I like putters with a bit of weight and wal mart specials don't have it. I don't know if you need a super expensive putter, but no wal mart target costco kmart specials IMO.

JTrout
08-26-2004, 01:30 PM
I agree totally regarding putters. I think the balance/weight is key, and the cheap putters rarely have it.
I've seen a few Ray Cook putters in discount places that were pretty good, but the rest....

But the beauty of putters is that people try so many, that there is always a used bin at the local golf shop full of quality putters cheap.
"Grips worn, sweet spot like new" /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nolanfan34
08-26-2004, 05:10 PM
I think for good players it makes a difference, but for hackers I think getting a cheap Wal-Mart set of clubs with crappy graphite shafts, head composition, grips, etc, would be far worse than buying a putter there.

JTrout
08-26-2004, 07:42 PM
You are right. I didn't mean to imply that one should get any clubs at Wal-Mart.

Good used sets can be bought for a bargain. And it's much better to have a quality used club than a crappy new one.

As far as component clubs vs. name brands- I think it depends mostly on the person putting the components together.
If the person is experienced, doesn't buy the cheapest parts, and takes care to fit you properly, then the component clubs are a great deal.
But that's a lot of ifs.

If you buy component clubs-
check the overall weight, and the swing weight.
check the lies and lofts. and lengths.

Most golf shops will be able to do this for around $3-$5 per club.

Most importantly, hit them and see if you like them. If so, it's a go. If no, don't get them just because they're a bargain.

Cheers,
JTrout

SossMan
08-26-2004, 07:49 PM
I still have my Callaway X-14 irons,

I never understood why someone would want to hit an iron that looked like a potato on a stick...

I'll take my Nike blades all day

banditbdl
08-26-2004, 07:56 PM
I guess I would some it up as I'm an ignoramous. I recently traded in the Sam's Club specials I have had since I was about 12 (10 years ago). My uncle lent me a set of used Ping Zing 2 irons that have been working very well for me so far this year. Obviously in moving up from the old set there was a monumental difference. I also went out and purchased a new set of woods for myself. The woods consisted of a 2 Callaway's and a TaylorMade and were purchased for $500 dollars total, I could have paid a lot more, but obviously could have paid a lot less as well. I really had no idea component clubs even existed. I went to a number of local golf stores, including a store specializing in used equipment, and swung a ton of clubs. Once, I figured out the clubs I wanted I checked out Ebay to see if I could find a deal for either a new or used club. Unfortunately, I was really pretty disappointed in how little money I was going to save there and opted just to buy them at the discount retailer in my area.

All in all I can't say I'm disappointed in the purchase, as I've felt really good about the new clubs so far, but it's always alarming to find out there is another avenue I could have at the very least have explored if I had known it even existed.