PDA

View Full Version : Best NLH Tournament Player of All-Time

EricSanSAn
08-26-2004, 11:09 AM
After watching alot of poker on TV lately, it got me thinking. Who's the best NLH player of all time? Judging strictly by tournaments and no limit format, here's what I came up with. Feel free to post your rankings.

1-Doyle Brunson- To me this is a no-brainer, he's 70 plus years of age and not to mention he wrote the bible on poker telling every trick to his game, and to this day he is still successful.His performance in this year's WSOP cements his name as the greatest NLH player ever.

2- Stu Ungar- I never saw him play, but you can't argue with a man who has won the WSOP Main Event three times. The ESPN story solidifies the respect his name gets from Hall of Fame caliber players. Had he lived longer he would be in a battle for number 1, but lack of numbers relegate him to number 2.

3-Johnny Chan- Again the respect factor, along with repeat titles in 87 and 88. Also had a good WSOP in 2003, with three cashes in various games. Can still play with the best, and is one of the most feared players in the game.

4- Phil Hellmuth- He is a few bad beats away from being higher on this list. He routinely gets his money in with the best, and despite whether you approve of his antics, his reading ability and instinct are unmatched in today's game. Simply amazing how he reads people. Also youngest player to win WSOP at age 23.

5- Scotty Ngyuen- Over 100 final tables in his career, and won the WSOP in 1998. He is consistently in the money, and his bluffing ability is superb, ask Humberto Brenes (3,8 offsuit last year).

Soon to come top young players and best all-around players. Responses welcome

M2d
08-26-2004, 11:29 AM
well, I do have a 99% in the money record in 5+1 sngs...wait, this isn't the zoo? sorry, wrong forum.

deacsoft
08-26-2004, 11:48 AM
I can not respect any poker list of the best tournament players that does not include T.J. Cloutier.

SpiderMnkE
08-26-2004, 11:55 AM
From what I've seen of Cloutier... he is just a grouchy old man.

Add to that that everyone is always talking about him being broke. Although, that is speculation, maybe it came from somewhere. I don't want him on any list.

Sure we are talking about skill... but I can't help it.. when I saw him in person.. he just seemed like a complete ass.

So he aint on my list.

Phil Hellmuth #1.. woot

thomastem
08-26-2004, 12:04 PM
Helmuth is #1

Sundevils21
08-26-2004, 12:25 PM
Stuey and its not close.
do you see why?

Punker
08-26-2004, 12:51 PM
"you can't argue with a man who has won the WSOP Main Event three times."

Then why isn't Johnny Moss on your list?

SpiderMnkE
08-26-2004, 01:21 PM
I have to admit that Stuey has the best stories floating around about him.

I can't wait to get my hands on the movie!

Gator
08-26-2004, 01:42 PM
Dan Harrington’s consecutive final table appearances certainly make him a contender.

banditbdl
08-26-2004, 02:38 PM
Not to mention his WSOP Main Event win...

Dan seems to have the best grasp of any name player I have seen as to how to truly exploit the hundreds of poor, poor players you find in the big tourneys these days. It's relatively easy to take advantage of these guys, but Dan has taken a level or two above everyone else. I know this skill may not be as sexy as the ultra-aggressive play of someone like Stuey, but Dan is the Zen Master of exploiting weak and loose play and that alone should guarantee him a spot on the list.

Moyer
08-27-2004, 08:00 PM
I was surprised to see Howard Lederer missing from your list.

Michael Davis
08-27-2004, 08:42 PM
You should consider adding Treetop Jack Strauss to your list.

-Michael

felson
08-27-2004, 09:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Phil Hellmuth- his reading ability and instinct are unmatched in today's game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the only person he can't get a read on is Norman Chad. Against him, Phil's reads have been worse than random decisions.

(This is from a recent "Nuts" segment on the WSOP. Even with selective ESPN editing, Phil's frustration and embarrassment make it clear that he is running awful.)

sonny black
08-30-2004, 11:51 AM
Because the first two wins came against a combined total of around 50 players. All you have to do is get ahold of the 1997 WSOP video and watch stu chew up the competiton like a bunch of party fish.

rdu $teve
08-30-2004, 01:24 PM
1. Doyle (no brainer) - as Norman Chad said, we have to wonder how many bracelets Doyle would have won if he had played in more WSOP tourneys.

2. Johny Moss or Stu Unger - I havent seen any of their play so I cant make a true decision based just on numbers; maybe one of them should be #1

4. Dan Harrington - as stated, 2 final tables in the 2 largest feilds in WSOP history, combined with his '95 win. Not the flashy, cocky, punks common in today's TV crowd; but you can't argue with his results.

5. Chan or Hellmuth - I havent seen much of either one's play; so I'm basing this on the results again. 9 bracelets each is pretty solid.

#1 up-and-coming - Keep your eye on Gus Hansen. With his post-flop playing ability, he will be around for quite a while.

my 2¢

scotnt73
08-30-2004, 02:01 PM
i think the secret is out on your up and comer /images/graemlins/wink.gif