PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what to do here - looking for comments

gt6062b
08-26-2004, 09:08 AM
Playing a Party 10+1 last night, very tight/passive table, still 5 players left, blinds are 150/300. I am the BB in this hand, and not sure if my move was right. I'll post what I did later and the thought process behind it, but want to see what other people would do here, as I'm very new to SNGs.

Seat 3: CO (1225)
Seat 5: BTN (365)
Seat 6: SB (3415)
Seat 7: Hero (BB) (1355)
Seat 8: UTG (1640)

Hero is dealt [9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif]. UTG raises to 600, CO raises to 900, BTN calls all-in (365), SB folds, Hero's action ???

Pot size is now 2315, with BTN all in, and UTG left to act.

What's your move and why? I'll post what I did and the reasoning behind it later.

-GT

ShootingAce
08-26-2004, 09:15 AM
easy fold.

you will probably have only 3 people left after this hand and you want to be one of them. I wouldnt call this with less than KK.

jah0550
08-26-2004, 09:30 AM
I think this is an easy fold. With a raise, a reraise, and an all-in I am sure that your 9s are beat. You have to figure that at least one of them has an overpair. My guess is someone has either QQ, KK, or AA. Also, you have plenty of chips and will be on the button after the next hand. Don't force pots with mid pairs with action like that, unless you have a huge chip lead and could knock all 3 players out with minimal chips. In your case, I would save the chips and get them in with a better hand.

BigJohn043
08-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Very easy fold. Even getting 2.5-1 on your money, there is a pretty good chance that there is a higher pair out there. Furthermore, if you fold here you probably walk into the money. Let them tangle and look for a better spot....

TakeMeToTheRiver
08-26-2004, 10:18 AM
I am not sure that I read any of these players for that strong a hand. This is a $10 S&G and the blinds are big.

UTG could be attempting a steal from first position and will fold if Hero raises (he probably has to call the current raise with almost anything and regardless of whether Hero is in the hand).

CO could be raising with a big Ace or a small pair -- particularly if UTG has shown a propensity for stealing. I would be worried about this player having a bigger hand only because of the min-raise (unless this has been his pattern). However, in $10 S&G, I don't read too much into that.

The short stack could have any Ace or any pocket pair. The blinds are approaching him fast and he must go in with any quality hand (regardless of the number of callers).

Despite all that, I would fold. Problem is the 9s are not strong against multiple players and there is almost certain to have at least two others. If I did play, I would raise to make it tough on UTG to call and make CO commit his stack.

gt6062b
08-26-2004, 10:51 AM
Ok, so this wasn't nearly as controversial as I thought /images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I folded in a heartbeat, figuring that 3 of 5 people are going to end up all-in here most likely and that I had enough chips to still play (1055) after this hand.

Either way, here's what happened:

UTG calls, 3 to the flop (1 all-in)

Flop comes [ T /images/graemlins/club.gif, 9 /images/graemlins/club.gif, 7 /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]
UTG check/calls CO's all in (325 more)

Turn [ 5 /images/graemlins/spade.gif ], River [ K /images/graemlins/diamond.gif ]

Results:
BTN has A3o for Ace High.
CO has QJh for the straight
UTG has A9o for a pair of nines.

CO wins pot, BTN places 5th, UTG has ~400 in chips left.

I'm pretty confident that folding was the right move, as I expcted to be in at least a tie for 3rd chip stack in this hand. As it turned out, I did end up taking 3rd, getting blinded out shortly after UTG in this hand went out.

I appreciate the feedback /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

-GT

hyde
08-26-2004, 12:05 PM
What immediately popped into my head was GTFO.

Your other responders were a bit more eloquent and supplied the proper reasoning......

hyde

Lori
08-26-2004, 01:01 PM
Not read any other responses.

I fold as fast as the button pops up on my screen.

Reasons:

1: 99 doesn't play very well against five overcards.
2: I'm coming third here and still have a stack that can win this thing, it is very likely that I will be ITM after this hand.

There are some occasions where you make this call to _ensure_ you get in the money, the reasoning being that if you lose you have a bigger stack than the other likely knockout and essentially get a freeroll at a large stack, whilst being almost assured of third place, but these occasions are usually four handed and with two high cards (The reasoning being that the other high stack needs to have a particuarly good hand to beat me and will therefore beat all the others)

In this scenario, if you're up against AK, QJ and Tx (not as unlikely in some combo or other as it sounds) it's pretty much pot luck which one beats you.

Lori

La Brujita
08-26-2004, 02:19 PM
I haven't read any other responses yet but I fold very quickly.

Your nines don't rate to be very good, you can very well be up against an overpair or three or more overcards.

It seems you can get into the money and make your luck here.

Phishy McFish
08-26-2004, 02:41 PM
Um fold...because you're beat or fold to potentially get out of the way of 2 people getting knocked out???