PDA

View Full Version : Kittying

08-04-2002, 09:12 AM
I play in a $10/$20 HE game where some players kitty with each other (winner of the pot gives his/her "kitty partners" money from the pot). I don't like it, consider it an angle and refuse to do it. However, I believe it puts the "non-kittying" players at a disadvantage. I have complained to the people who run the game but they refuse to stop it. Unfortunately, it is the only game in town. Comments or suggestions? welcomed.

Thanks,

Irish Mike

08-04-2002, 09:25 AM
I agree Mike. At Harrah's in East Chicago, this was against the rules according to the rulebook but went on regularly for quite some time. I fought against it until, floor people and dealers were more diligent about stopping it.

It's bad for the game because, let's say that you've raised preflop and one of them calls, the other is more likely to call out of let's say the blind because he gets atleast a theoretical discount to look at the flop. Another problem is of course, that the tighter players in these "deals" get money out of the weaker players' stacks where its now harder to get at, and this is also unethical, not only that but it can cost you money and possibly even a pot later when those looser players reach the felt during a hand that you're in.

However if its the only game in town, I'd have to say "if you can't beat'em....." I can't think of much other recourse for you except not to play.

Good luck,

Mike

P.S. Irish Mike from Indiana? If so, how've you been?

08-04-2002, 11:24 AM
Play online.

08-04-2002, 12:56 PM
How much are they passing? If they pass one dollar, I'd let it go, if for no other reason than the amount you lose by being bothered is likely to be more than the amount you would make because the kittying stopped.

The other extreme, passing the entire pot, would never be allowed or even suggested. Somewhere in between lies amounts that are too much, and amounts that aren't.

How big is the room? If it's 100 tables, then kittying should be watched and curtaild by th house, IMO. If it's a one-table room, then kittying can evolve to be a strong custom, best not messed with (if the amounts are small.)

I feel strongly that standardizing rules beyond things like "aces are higher than kings" is a mistake, and kittying is a good example. In human society, local custom will find it's way, even in the face of tyranny.

Tommy

08-04-2002, 02:13 PM
Don't play, only game or not! I saw the same thing in the Maryland Las Vegas Night games when they were legal. It is so disturbing and reeks so much of collusion that you can never be sure you are not being @#$#ed!

Vince

08-04-2002, 04:18 PM
What it does is puts the tightest "kitty" player at an advantage over his looser partners. This is usualy bad for you since you want the money to stay in the stacks of the loose players.

I don't like kittying but I am all in favor of players softplaying each other. Softplaying puts money in the stacks of the weaker softplayers.

08-04-2002, 05:33 PM
Many of the regular Mirage 10-20 stud players return the $1 ante to their friends after winning a pot. They will often return the $3 bring-in as well.

08-04-2002, 06:02 PM
Not the same in fact not even close. In Maryland 10-20% of the pots would go in a tin can to be divided amongst the participants whenever they wanted to do so.

Vince

08-04-2002, 06:27 PM
you should report this to management.