PDA

View Full Version : Playing overpair 9s 'gainst pre-flop raiser

08-04-2002, 05:43 AM
One of the huge weaknesses of my game, I admit, is how I play 'gainst pre-flop raisers, especially out of position. The following illuminates the dilemma I so often find myself in.

10/20 game. I'm dealt pocket 9s in 2nd position. UTG calls, I call, and the next up, a tight aggressive player, raises, BB calls.

Flop: 8 6 2 (rainbow)

Checked to me, I bet, pre-flop raiser raises, BB folds, UTG calls. I re-raise, everyone calls.

Turn: 2

I bet, and pre-flop raiser raises yet again. UTG folds, and I fold.

Please tell me how I could've played this hand differently. I hate the idea of giving AK free cards to beat me, but I also hate the idea of putting alot of chips just to confirm the fact that I'm up 'gainst a bigger pocket pair. Any advice would be very much appreciated.

08-04-2002, 10:16 AM
Chip,

You have $85in the pot preflop. Yes you are out of postion however you could have the best hand, or you could be very far behind. The under the gun player would concern me. What could he limp in with from that position?

Checked to me, I bet, pre-flop raiser raises, BB folds, UTG calls. I re-raise, everyone calls. Now you have a decision for the next round. If an overcard doesnt drop you might want to go for a check raise.

Turn: 2

I bet, and pre-flop raiser raises yet again. UTG folds, and I fold.

You could have either check raised or checked and called. I personally do not like to check and call, however sometimes you can collect more bets this way from someone overplaying AK or AQ. Since you just limped in what do you think he put you on? By checkraising you are representing a stronger hand than you have. You also put him in a postion where now he must make a decision. What do you do if he reraised your check raise?

Please tell me how I could've played this hand differently. I hate the idea of giving AK free cards to beat me, but I also hate the idea of putting alot of chips just to confirm the fact that I'm up 'gainst a bigger pocket pair.

Is this a type who would play two overcards the same way as a big pair? Is he the type of player who will try and run all over you? You could have checkraised the turn, or check called the turn. You could also have reraised him. He put the decision on you and thats the most difficult part of the game. I would have called his reraise and checked and called the river if an overcard doesnt hit the board. You also have to consider how he views you as a player. If he thinks he can get you to lay down hands, then you should make the hand as cheap as possible and get to a showdown. This way he knows he can't over you in future hands.

Just some ideas,

MK

08-04-2002, 12:30 PM
Please don't take this too harshly. If you are going to play the hand in that manner you should probably fold after the raise on the flop, you most certainly should not reraise here, in fact you should not even come out betting. This is a dream board for your hand, if you fear overpairs to your hand everytime you have an overpair to the board you are throwing away chips by playing in this manner.

You can see this hand all the way to the river by playing passively for the same amount of money as you had in the pot when you folded. That is not my recommendation but middle pairs are of course best if you flop or turn a set but when you still have an overpair to the board and are heads up this is a tough laydown. You may very well have been beat as you described the pre-flop raiser as tight aggressive but that is a better reason to go into check/call mode when out of position.

Jimbo