PDA

View Full Version : being outplayed while trying to outplay someone!

08-04-2002, 02:01 AM
this hand irritated me. 15-30 okay game, nothing great but looser and passiver than most i guess. passiver?

i have Js4s in the bb. loose aggressive player in the cutoff open raises, i call.

the flop is K94 two clubs and one heart. i check, he bets, i call.

the turn is 8h. i check, he bets, i checkraise, he 3 bets, i fold. he shows 4h3h.

comments?

08-04-2002, 07:20 AM
passiver? I believe "more passive" is correct.

Well, to describe the game as "loose" seems about right. Calling it passive may be stretching things a bit.

I have the utmost respect for (most of) your theory mike l, but see, when you called an open-raise from the cutoff with J4s, the poker gods had a chuckle. And then decided to play a little practical joke on you.

But maybe I'm just too tight.

You were there and obviously had a read on your opponent's overall lousy play but still, even though he may be a moron 99% of the time you need something to defend your blind with. Thanks for the post.

Best of luck, Billy (LTL)

08-04-2002, 10:34 AM
the turn is 8h. i check, he bets, i checkraise, he 3 bets, i fold. he shows 4h3h.

He had bottom pair, however he did have a flush draw. Not a bad play by him.

The problem with blind defending in that spot is that he could easily have had you beaten. If you did call his three bet, and a heart falls, now what?

Last week I played with a wanna be super pro who raised every time he had late position. He raised my blinds almost every time. I could imagine the frustration that you felt at the time. Fortunatley for me, I had an overpair a few of the times he raised.

Hopefully you clobbered this mutt later on in the session.

Best Wishes

MK

08-04-2002, 11:27 AM
Call him down. Easier to play that way. Don't try to outplay him. I would have folded preflop, and not face this decision.

Looks like you were up against a stealer and you outplayed yourself.

08-04-2002, 02:14 PM
FPS sometime bites you in your own butt!

Vince

08-05-2002, 01:50 AM
If the guy's aggressive (and your description of how he played this hand confirms your description of him as aggressive) why get involved with a hand like J-4 where it's very unlikely you can withstand his aggression or be aggressive with confidence yourself?

On the turn, the board has two flush draws, a straight draw, a king, a nine, and an eight, none of which you have and one or more of which he might have.