PDA

View Full Version : Pocket 2s...hit set on rainbow...tight preflop raiser....3/6

RED_RAIN
08-25-2004, 11:30 PM
Preflop raiser is pretty tight. 19 SF% 14% VPIP PFR 4%

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/club.gif.
UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls, MP2 folds, MP3 folds, CO folds, <font color="CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (12.33 SB) K/images/graemlins/club.gif, Q/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 2/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, UTG+1 checks, UTG+2 checks, Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, UTG folds, Hero calls.

Heads up, I know some say I should cap the flop, I was going for a check/raise on turn.

Turn: (9.66 BB) 7/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="CC3333">Button 3-bets</font>, Hero calls.

Okay now I want to see your QQ or KK. Can anyone fold here? He's not that big a rock with those stats is he?

River: (15.66 BB) J/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="blue">(2 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="CC3333">Button bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 17.66 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 17.66 BB, between Button and Hero.</font>

Joe Tall
08-25-2004, 11:36 PM
Can anyone fold here

Even if he is a rock, you are not folding! If he has flopped a higher set, so be it!

Peace,
Joe Tall

daveymck
08-26-2004, 06:33 AM
I think you played it fine once he 3 bets the turn check call it down.

He may have KK,QQ for the higher set but could also have AA KQ, AK.

Cant fold here.

Lottery Larry
08-26-2004, 09:28 AM
If you wouldn't call the river, then why play it like you did? Though I'm not sure about the check-raise on the turn- unless you hit a set of 7's, you give your hand away here- what could you be checkraising on the turn?

Don't tell us he rivered the flush with AQc

MoDOH
08-26-2004, 09:44 AM
I Think itīs safe to assume that you are beaten here, having said that you still must call the river though.

The only hands I can think of that Button has that makes sense, is AA,KK,QQ or A /images/graemlins/club.gifQ /images/graemlins/club.gif since you only beat AA and I think that is the least likely hand for Button to hold given his play on the turn, you are most likely screwed...

RED_RAIN
08-26-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Though I'm not sure about the check-raise on the turn- unless you hit a set of 7's, you give your hand away here- what could you be checkraising on the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind giving away my hand. My stop and go says so much strength that I almost surely have a set. I want to put a really good player who has AA on a really hard decision. If he has AA, he can call down and know most likely he has lost. Can he put me on 2s? Can he put me on a check/raise on the flop with 7s to hit a set on the turn?

If I played it different and just called down, I think I would lose some bets when I'm ahead, and lose only one more when I'm behind. If I check/raised him twice, then I'm trapping him to continue with a beaten hand if he doesn't have a higher set.

But once he 3 bet me twice when I check/raise, I honestly don't see even a moron playing AA like this and thought I was behind but was going to call down thinking I lost but wanted to see the higher set. I would think I see KQ more than I see AA with that play.

That is the reasoning of my play.

sthief09
08-26-2004, 01:33 PM
if you're going to take this flop/turn line against a player like this, you better be damn sure that you have the best hand. instead of thinking things like "can anyone fold here?" think "could I have saved any bets?" The answer is yes. you overplayed your hand.

Johnny_Cash_Advance
08-26-2004, 01:58 PM
He's either got KK, QQ, or KQs. Either way you're beat, but you wouldn't know that for sure until the other club came out of the river. Laying the hand down is probably correct, but I doubt I would do it. Check/calling was a good move. I don't like the second check-raise on the turn. I would have bet/called. The reason is that just because he reraised you on the flop doesn't necessarily mean your beat, but if you are beat the check-raise costs you another bet, and if your not he may check behind you and you lose one of his bets.

Johnny_Cash_Advance
08-26-2004, 02:23 PM
I don't know what the hell I was thinking when I posted that last response but I appoligize. You're not beat if he has KQs (Obiously! /images/graemlins/blush.gif) I would still bet the turn right out and check call the river though.

RED_RAIN
08-26-2004, 03:19 PM
Hero shows a set of 2s
Button shows a set of Qs

Thanks for clearing up my play. Next time I think check/raise on flop is okay, and bet out on turn. Then call down.