PDA

View Full Version : Funny Thing About Hellmuth @ WSOP

Tuds75
08-25-2004, 11:04 PM
I was a spectator when Phil Hellmuth busted out of the WSOP Championship. Not only did he storm out of the room like a child, but after about 10 minutes of busting out, the tournament director announced over the loud speaker that Phil Helmuth would be in the lobby outside signing autographs and taking pictures. After this was annouced the whole room filled with laughter. The announcer then came back on the mic and told everyone that he was not joking and Phil REALLY was waiting outside for the masses to flock to him.

That Crazy Philly Billy Willy.

Tuds

daryn
08-25-2004, 11:08 PM
wow. if i was there i would have gone and got his autograph.

maybe even talked to him about poker a little, as long as everyone was still busy laughing in the main room.

G Baade
08-26-2004, 12:53 AM
I would have definitely went and got one of the best poker players in the worlds auto! I love Hellmuth and dont get why people hate him because he hates stupid players!

Ionphore
08-26-2004, 01:59 AM
I think he hates you...

Stew
08-26-2004, 02:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]

maybe even talked to him about poker a little, as long as everyone was still busy laughing in the main room.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great, why don't you just give him a nice little hummer while you're at it.

27offsuit
08-26-2004, 10:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn, I find it so amusing that only a fraction of the people here even get what you are saying most of the time.

You are one dry mofo.

I'm having a tourney(72) near Gillette Stadium on Oct 2. Come on down, you'll fit right in.

Officer Farva
08-26-2004, 10:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]

daryn, I find it so amusing that only a fraction of the people here even get what you are saying most of the time.

You are one dry mofo.

I'm having a tourney(72) near Gillette Stadium on Oct 2. Come on down, you'll fit right in.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats two hummers now.

BeerMoney
08-26-2004, 11:38 AM
SHUT UP FARVA!!

Officer Farva
08-26-2004, 12:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

SHUT UP FARVA!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Creativity Rating: 8-3 offsuit

Stew
08-26-2004, 06:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one dry mofo.

[/ QUOTE ]

That wasn't a dry attempt at humor. Daryn is a Hellmuth fan. Which, brings me to a point. From what I hear and again, this is what I hear, it is a complete shame that the guy acts like a child at the table. The reason I say this is he apparently a very genuine, sincere, nice individual away from the table. It's also a shame that someone with such talent and legendary status in the history of the game has that tarnished by his actions.

Daliman
08-27-2004, 01:05 AM
I firmly now believe he makes no longer makes any effort to restrain himself in these tournaments, as it gets him the publicity he so richly wants, and helps his business interests immensely, I'm sure. Even though he has not done much by his standards or comparative to others since the advent of poker as hip TV, he is STILL probably the most recognizable.

dakine
08-27-2004, 03:38 AM
The problem with Phil Hellmouth is, his Head is Bigger than his Star.

daryn
08-27-2004, 05:11 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

You are one dry mofo.

[/ QUOTE ]

i can dig it. let me know

cruisingman
08-27-2004, 10:05 AM
Now thats the funniest thing I heard in a long time /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

MrDannimal
08-27-2004, 10:44 AM
The amazing thing is that Phil can't seem to wrap his head around the idea that bad players make bad mistakes. He also seems to be wedded to the idea that everyone playing in a tournament (and especially the WSOP Main Event) has one goal of winning the whole thing.

That's a couple of absurd ideas to cling to. You have to think that at any table he sits at during the WSOP, there are 2-4 people there who think it would be fun to beat Phil in a pot, or god forbid be the one to knock him out. (the same with Moneymaker, too).

So now you have people playing hands they otherwise wouldn't play, hoping to have a story to tell. Phil can't adjust his game, gets beat by hands he wouldn't have played in a hundred years, and flips out because he lost to someone with less skill.

As long as he refuses to adjust his mindest to match reality, he's going to be stuck where he is.

It's extra funny to see him in comparison to how Negreanu acted when he busted out.

Rick Nebiolo
08-27-2004, 01:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I firmly now believe he makes no longer makes any effort to restrain himself in these tournaments, as it gets him the publicity he so richly wants, and helps his business interests immensely, I'm sure. Even though he has not done much by his standards or comparative to others since the advent of poker as hip TV, he is STILL probably the most recognizable.

[/ QUOTE ]

You nailed it. And it's a sad commentary on society and the behaviors it rewards.

~ Rick

PokerNeal
08-27-2004, 05:12 PM
Make sure you kneel down before the emperor Helmuth before he bestows his poker secrets upon you. Don't forget to kiss his championship ring either. And, yes, put that beer down and take that smirk off your face!

27offsuit
08-27-2004, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You are one dry mofo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats two hummers now.

[/ QUOTE ]

so predictable....

BreakEvenPlayer
08-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Phil Hellmuth's self-promotion as a character is only half of the story. He whines about bad beats because he wants bad players to be scared of him at the table. He wants players to know that they are going to hear it from them if they suckout. He wants fish to feel sorry when they beat him. He wants people to fold in situations where he is not a longshot favorite. He wants to be able to pull off big bluffs in big situations, and he usually is able to. It's all a grand image strategy.

The problem is that the adverse is starting to happen. Players are becoming much more willing to take a crack at him because they want to be the one that knocked out Hellmuth. His persona has been broadcast all over the television, and there are now millions of people who want to bust the whiner. They want to brag to their friends, come on this board and brag, etc. So Phil is in the process of tweaking his game, trying to stay on top of the changes. He mentions how he folded QQ in the WSOP Main Event even though he was fairly confident that another player who moved in over the top of him had a lower pair (turned out to be 77). He said at the time he did not want to take a 4.5 to 1 favorite for all of his chips because he could outplay everyone. This was not a very good strategy and now he is tweaking it some more.

Everyone has an image at the table. Whether you're Phil Hellmuth or the quiet nit McManus complaining about the "integrity" of the game, it's all an image. I for one love to see Phil win, I also love to see him lose... The man is a character and the viewer will be given a treat no matter what happens.

Goddamnit stop harking so much on these pros! Phil Hellmuth is a more successful poker player than any of us will ever be, and it's not just because he is a better poker player. Sit back and enjoy the show!

27offsuit
08-30-2004, 10:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Goddamnit stop harking so much on these pros! Phil Hellmuth is a more successful poker player than any of us will ever be, and it's not just because he is a better poker player. Sit back and enjoy the show!

[/ QUOTE ]

Harking? The Herald Angels, you mean?

Whisky-Tango-Foxtrot? (see:harping)

Officer Farva
08-30-2004, 12:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

You are one dry mofo.

[/ QUOTE ]Thats two hummers now.

[/ QUOTE ]
so predictable....

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it is predictable that you will get made fun of on this site when you attempt to court somebody to your local game because you think he is "one dry mofo".

27offsuit
08-30-2004, 02:29 PM
[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, it is predictable that you will get made fun of on this site when you attempt to court somebody to your local game because you think he is "one dry mofo".

[/ QUOTE ]

yowch. stop the murders. I can't take it.

Scooterdoo
08-30-2004, 04:17 PM
The thing I hate (and probably most others hate) about him is the childish way he behaves towards others. In this week's WSOP telecast for example, he berates a guy for taking a shot at the pot on the flop with nothing and then hitting his card, a Queen, to pair up and win. Phil can't believe that the guy bet with nothing and then says he was drawing dead and hit his card. First of all, he couldn't have hit his card if he was drawing dead. Second of all, so what if the guy took a shot at the pot with nothing... the more power to him. Phil read the weakness and called him, but there were still two cards left and it's not like Phil had some great hand at that point anyway so even if the guy was bluffing he probably had outs. The only thing bad about the way the guy played the hand is that he checked down the turn and river and should have extracted more out of the hand. Phil should have been happy that his loss was limited, not that he ran into some terrible player who got lucky.

Tyler Durden
08-30-2004, 04:56 PM
Yea that was a funny time. Then a few minutes later the PA came back on with "The line for Phil's autograph starts by the men's room" and we all cracked up again. I don't know why I found it so funny. But it was funny.

Beavis68
08-30-2004, 07:43 PM
Yeah, Phil F'd up the hand - just like he did with TJ at the sands - Phil bets 1200, the guy raises to 5k and you just call? Why? I thought the mantra of the poker pro's was to always raise, never call. His hand was terribly vulnerable.

ANd they way that piddly little 700 chip bet on the river?

Just like that hand with TJ, he kept calling, let TJ back into a flush. If you knew he was bluffing make him lay it down!

Justin A
08-31-2004, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, Phil F'd up the hand - just like he did with TJ at the sands - Phil bets 1200, the guy raises to 5k and you just call? Why? I thought the mantra of the poker pro's was to always raise, never call. His hand was terribly vulnerable.

ANd they way that piddly little 700 chip bet on the river?

Just like that hand with TJ, he kept calling, let TJ back into a flush. If you knew he was bluffing make him lay it down!

[/ QUOTE ]

Obviously you in all of your tournament experience and wisdom would be playing better than Phil in these situations. Makes me wonder why you don't have nine bracelets. Just luck I'm sure.

Justin A

Jsb
08-31-2004, 04:04 AM
no, it can't be bad luck, because if there were no luck, phil would never lose, so he'd just have all the bracelets i suppose. none to spare for beavis, or anyone else.

Justin A
08-31-2004, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
no, it can't be bad luck, because if there were no luck, phil would never lose, so he'd just have all the bracelets i suppose. none to spare for beavis, or anyone else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not that you're trying to be serious or anything, but that line of logic makes absolutely no sense. Please reread what you posted.

Justin A

Jsb
08-31-2004, 05:22 PM
nevermind, it made sense at the time. i wasn't really thinking straight, i still don't know what i was doing up that late last night.
and yeah it was a joke, i was making fun of hellmuth, or attempting to anyways. it wasn't intended to induce any actual thought.