PDA

View Full Version : small stakes <miller> ith <hillger>

punch
08-25-2004, 10:10 PM
Hi,
I ve been using the starting hands in ith and have had some success and dont want to change. Would using the handy chart ith has and using millers post flop play work hand and hand. Just got ssh today and I want to skip the preflop play and get into what I am weak at &lt;post flop play&gt; iff your weak post flop should u go right into millers way or slowly go into it thanks alot there both good books i think.
punch

slavic
08-25-2004, 11:48 PM
Playing poorly pre-flop traps you into playing very badly postflop. So reading Ed's preflop sections are somewhat required to understand postflop play. With that said he doesn't dwell on starting hands. Frankly it isn't so much of a concern, since he is more trying to get you to think of the ranges of hands that play well in each situation.

Just my opinion.

flair1239
08-26-2004, 02:28 AM
Ed actually says, that as long as you PF standards are reasonable... you are fine.

That said, you should understand the "WHY" of why you are playing a certain hand. And Miller does an excellent job of expl;aining why you should play certain hands... take the hour and read the PF section.

Beach-Whale
08-26-2004, 07:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Playing poorly pre-flop traps you into playing very badly postflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Are you implying that Hilger's preflop advice is poor?

To punch:

I would say use the ITH charts if you are comfortable with them.

The extra hands that you might play if you deviate from them won't make that much of a difference even if you get it right, and you can easily get it wrong, and then you risk being much WORSE off.

So it's likely a "win a little or lose a lot" situation changing your preflop play. I recommend skipping right to the postflop stuff, where you have a lot to win. Change your preflop play only when you feel that you have gotten really good postflop and you feel that you KNOW that you can play it profitably.