PDA

View Full Version : Science and Faith

Xargque
08-25-2004, 10:08 PM
I wanted to separate this from the "Religion & Logic" thread because I'd like to hear what others think about this issue.

Original Post:

[ QUOTE ]
The implicit assumption in this thread is that science has "proven" "facts" and that religion is based solely on faith in contradiction to these "facts".

Science, however, requires EXACTLY as much faith as religion.

All logic must begin with assumptions (with the possible exception of tautologies such as A=A).

In logic, when you make an assumption, you are free to make ANY assumption. Furthermore, it is nonsense to claim that one assumption is better than another. All assumptions are equivalent in value.

A scientist picks up a rock and lets go. The rock falls. He does this 10 times, each time the rock falls. He therefore concludes that on the 11th time the rock will fall again. However, he is not entitled to make this conclusion without assuming the following: "that which has happened reproducibly in the past will continue to happen in the future". Let's call this assumption "the principle of induction" (following David Hume).

I would assert that ALL science assumes the principle of induction. Further, it does so without any external justification.

Under that assumption, science makes sense. (Although, even with that assumption, scientific theories can still be disproven -- and have many times.)

However, there is ABSOLUTELY ZERO reason to prefer the principle of induction as an assumption over any assumption about the way the universe behaves that any religion makes.

In order to compare the value of two competing assumptions, you must find a third assumption that both parties agree to and then show that one of the competing assumptions is consistent with the new meta-assumption and the other is not. Absent that, science requires you to assume something without justification, which is, by definition, a leap of faith.

-X

BTW, for those who care, I am a research biologist who does basic scientific research for a living, and I am an athiest. I assume, without justification, the principle of induction because it makes sense to me, but I recognize that as a leap of faith on my part.

[/ QUOTE ]

Additionally, there is at least one piece of empirical data that everyone I've ever met takes as true which religion explains easily, but science has as yet been unable to come close to giving a satisfactory explanation: Consciousness.

Assuming you start from a theist point of view, consciousness is easy to explain.

From an athiest/scientific point of view it has proven to be quite a challenge (this is as much of an understatement as saying that pocket Aces is a pretty strong hand when the other two aces have flopped). I personally have faith that a scientific/non-spiritual explanation of consciousness can be found, but I cannot tell you what it is now. That is another leap of faith that I must make as an athiest scientist.

-X

Below is one reply to the earlier posting of this thread and my rebuttal. The reply came from Cerril.

[ QUOTE ]
It's important not to weight that sort of statment too heavily.

The difference in belief isn't just of amount, it's of kind. There are some things we take 'for granted'. But things such as 'there is an outside world, which we have direct access to by our senses, and there are other people which we can communicate with and be understood' aren't principles we accept.

These aren't facts -about- the world we're taking for granted, they're the framework on which everything else rests. These are closer to the realm of tautologies than to conclusions about things even so basic as gravity.

Cause and effect or however you'd like to describe our assumption that the future will resemble the past in ways that allows us to act as if our actions have meaning (that one action will lead to a desirable result rather than a random result) is in the same boat. If you discard that principle then you either need to replace it with something else which allows you to act, or stop acting entirely.

Presumably we could work within a different framework, draw different conclusions from our initial experiences, and if they were coherent and allowed us to function they would be sufficient.

But it's very important to understand that the vast majority of epistemological 'assumptions' aren't assumptions of the same type and weight as inserting a being into the universe we already have access to (the general understanding of 'believe in God'), as an explanatory measure. They aren't even on the same level as things which we take for granted (and which no theist would argue), which are in fact conclusions drawn from those first assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rebuttal:

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It's important not to weight that sort of statment too heavily.

The difference in belief isn't just of amount, it's of kind. There are some things we take 'for granted'. But things such as 'there is an outside world, which we have direct access to by our senses, and there are other people which we can communicate with and be understood' aren't principles we accept.

These aren't facts -about- the world we're taking for granted, they're the framework on which everything else rests. These are closer to the realm of tautologies than to conclusions about things even so basic as gravity.

[/ QUOTE ]

These things are the framework upon which everything rests if and only if you assume they are true. They are powerful assumptions, in that you can build an entire system of beliefs out of them. In fact the one assumption about causation is so powerful that it alone is sufficient to account for the belief structure built up by science. But do not confuse an assumption from which MANY conclusions can be derived with an assumption that MUST be true. Equally many conclusions can be derived from the assumption that "God is the creator of and cause of all things and all events", but that does not make it any more or less correct to believe that is true.

[ QUOTE ]
Cause and effect or however you'd like to describe our assumption that the future will resemble the past in ways that allows us to act as if our actions have meaning (that one action will lead to a desirable result rather than a random result) is in the same boat. If you discard that principle then you either need to replace it with something else which allows you to act, or stop acting entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not at all. I CHOOSE to assume that cause and effect work the same way science assumes it does. I behave according to that assumption. But at the end of the day, I recognize that it is an assumption which I cannot prove without first assuming it is true. There is no external justification for my belief in this proposition, therefore I accept it on faith and live my life accordingly.

[ QUOTE ]
Presumably we could work within a different framework, draw different conclusions from our initial experiences, and if they were coherent and allowed us to function they would be sufficient.

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe that many people, perhaps most people that have lived, have taken the assumption "There is a God" to be more basic than the assumption "There is a physical world which obeys constant and unchanging laws".

[ QUOTE ]
But it's very important to understand that the vast majority of epistemological 'assumptions' aren't assumptions of the same type and weight as inserting a being into the universe we already have access to (the general understanding of 'believe in God'), as an explanatory measure. They aren't even on the same level as things which we take for granted (and which no theist would argue), which are in fact conclusions drawn from those first assumptions.

[/ QUOTE ]

First, I belive that any theist would argue with scientific claims that profess to demonstrate an absence of a God. Most believe in science to some extent, but many (I think) tend toward the belief that God allows us to have access to the world of our senses (i.e. the belief in God is primary and the access to the world we have comes from that).

Second, as I said before, if you want to argue that assumption A is more basic than assumption B, then you must find a meta-assumption which both parties agree is more basic than either and then show B is contradictory to that but A is not. Absent that, an impartial observer would be unable to distinguish your argument from the following hypothetical claim:

"The vast majority of epistemological 'assumptions' aren't assumptions of the same type and weight as postulating that the universe is a complicated mix of causal powers with no intelligence behind them (the general understanding of 'athiesm'), as an explanatory measure. They aren't even on the same level as things which we take for granted; the data that support such a view relies, in fact, on the existence of God to even be properly interpretable."

However, I understand that for most athiests, the faith in science runs so deep that they are unable to see the other side. Ironic, since most atiests grow frustrated with thiests for that exact reason.

-X

[/ QUOTE ]

Cerril
08-26-2004, 12:20 AM
I accidentally replied in the thread before coming back out here and seeing this. I'll repost the reply as well and add another in a seperate reply.

[ QUOTE ]
However, I understand that for most athiests, the faith in science runs so deep that they are unable to see the other side. Ironic, since most atiests grow frustrated with thiests for that exact reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

And vice versa.

I think I understated or misstated my point. What I was trying to say is that there are assumptions about our access to the world that are so basic that our conversation relies on them. Our ability to have a conversation relies on assumptions about the world. I think the term 'assumption' is really too vague but I can't come up with something better.

The point I was trying to make is that without an alternative we already accept the things that are fundamental to scientific reasoning merely by having this conversation. This belief is far more elementary and precedes anything that faith can grant us. These are not even things for which we necessarily have a choice in believing (that last is absolutely an assumption, only based on my never having actually met a true solopsist or person who actually believed there to be no way to interact with the world or learn things about it) Not solid, immutable facts in and of themselves. Only the understanding that there exist solid facts that are at the moment unchanging. Any other world we cannot have access to.

There are many things which people, especially advocates of scientism and plenty of people who don't think through their beliefs, that go further and do make assumptions based on (for lack of a better term) faith in scientific achievements. But the basic principles of reason aren't subject to the same skepticism. A new world view would have to be developed that included this conversation (and all of the prerequisites of it, consciousness and so on) but excluded epistemological access to the outside world by way of our senses and inferences.

Cerril
08-26-2004, 12:31 AM
One thing I should mention, in a Sklanskyesque manner I'm afraid, is that I have yet to meet any religious person who doesn't act as if the principle of induction is true, regardless of their faith (or even professed belief on that principle). Ditto for all the other things I mentioned. That's either support for or an interesting aside to my argument.

If there were a way to live and act without acting as if those things were true (which would basically involve, in the case of induction, never acting with a reason believed to have merit) then that point could be conceded as weak or at least as not supporting my original statements.

As far as consciousness goes, I certainly agree that it is a phenomenon much like many others (life, death, speech, sunrise, earthquakes, storms) which were at one time poorly understood. That alone is not enough, however, for a rational person to take a theistic stance.

However, were an explanation given which had merit then it would have to be accepted by all reasonable people, theistic and not. Consciousness explained by reference to an immaterial soul isn't uncontroversial, even to the theistic mind, unless they wish to stop exploring ramifications and causes.

(similarly, to many theistic minds - at least ones who believe in the capital G God - the concept of 'Evil,' specifically natural, nonhuman evil (small e) and suffering, causes as much headscratching as consciousness does to many scientists.)

Kopefire
08-26-2004, 01:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]

I have yet to meet any religious person who doesn't act as if the principle of induction is true, regardless of their faith (or even professed belief on that principle). Ditto for all the other things I mentioned. That's either support for or an interesting aside to my argument.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not all that surprising. It also works the other way.

I've yet to meet an atheistic scientist who didn't act as if he believe his wife loved him, or that there are some actions that are good and others that are evil, or any of a host of other actions that suggest an unconscious acceptance of some fairly interesting beliefs that are simply outside of the purview of scientific epistemological structures -- but when asked about their atheism would settle back into how religion doesn't fit well with science.

Cerril
08-26-2004, 05:06 AM
Well I'm no scientist but I can at least be an example here. Of course I can hardly prove how amoral I am, or at the very least how utilitarian my morality is.

I can go ahead and tell you that my actions are based around my happiness, both immediate and future. And I can tell you that my benevolence and good will toward others is entirely calculated toward making me feel good, often consciously. But I wouldn't expect you to believe it, I've worked for quite a few years now (if one as young as I can say 'quite a few years' when talking in single digits) at divorcing myself from absolutes and concepts of things that have no relevance toward my life and working toward a selfishness that doesn't harm me in the long run (and so comes across as something other than selfishness, as it must).

You mention love as well, though. I'd definitely take that out of the realm of the religious. The concept, emotion, ideal, or feeling of love doesn't belong to anything but itself (or I should say the realm of emotions, ideals, feelings, or concepts depending on how its used). Of course it's improperly defined and a very, very loaded word without clarification.

However, your point certainly does hold. Far too many 'science people' and even self professed utilitarian moralists fall back far too quickly on ideas of absolutes, even Platonic Ideals of Good and such.

By the way, the idea of a universal morality is hardly dependent on a Deity. There can be a definite Good action, as long as you have a definition of Good. For that matter, even in my morality (The Good = my happiness) there is a definite right and wrong way to act. What's at stake is my happiness.

Anyway, I'd still like to see someone propose a system not involving the absolutes (the assumptions) that I proposed. One which would allow this conversation to take place but which would provide rather than remove support for a God. I understand that much of this discussion is between scholars of a nontheistic bent, but since there's an inclination to defend theism I would at least like to see where it has a leg to stand on (i.e. a place to rest that doesn't first assume the foundations of rational thought, logic, or science - pick your term)

chawinski
08-26-2004, 05:30 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, there is at least one piece of empirical data that everyone I've ever met takes as true which religion explains easily, but science has as yet been unable to come close to giving a satisfactory explanation: Consciousness.

Assuming you start from a theist point of view, consciousness is easy to explain.

[/ QUOTE ]

No its not. Saying 'God diddit' isn't an explanation. Its an insult to intelligence and understanding. Why reduce your God to filling in the gaps of our science?

Additionally, there is at least one piece of empirical data that everyone I've ever met takes as true which religion explains easily, but science has as yet been unable to come close to giving a satisfactory explanation: Lightning.

Assuming you start from a theist point of view, lightning is easy to explain.

Thor diddit.

Cerril
08-26-2004, 05:37 AM
I hate to monopolize this thread but I did want to contribute one more thing

I have no particular reason to believe that either consciousness or its byproduct, free will, exist in anything near the sense that we understand them. However, I also know that I, personally, am not capable of acting otherwise than as if they are absolute facts. So there's no real point in anyone, least of all me, sitting here saying 'I am not conscious, I do not have free will' when I know damn well that I do. I know this just like I know that there is a real world outside me and that my actions have an effect on it. But knowing that, especially about an internal, subjective phenomenon, hardly makes it true. I suppose that's one piece of hypocrisy I more or less am compelled to engage in. Or if you prefer, call it a sneaking suspicion rather than an outright belief because if I were really convinced it were true I would try to act on it.

Piers
08-26-2004, 06:28 AM
Science is all about building models that approximate observed reality.

Anyone who believes a scientific theory must describe what REALLY is going on because it is a scientific theory does not understand what a model is. (Or is a little over optimistic about what humans can achieve -> needs to mug up on Gödels work)

A model is only as good as the use it can be put to.

A religious belief is really just another model.

The main difference between a religious and scientific model is the motivation for and method of their development. Plus the fact that logic tends to play a more dominate role in scientific models than in religious models.

Both scientific and religious models can and are put to good (and bad) uses.

paland
08-26-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Additionally, there is at least one piece of empirical data that everyone I've ever met takes as true which religion explains easily, but science has as yet been unable to come close to giving a satisfactory explanation: Lightning.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's absurd. Where did you get that from? Christian Science Monitor?
Is it that you just never accepted the explanation? There are many things that science doesn't have explanations for but Lightning is not one of them.

chawinski
08-26-2004, 01:50 PM

Don't you realise i just cut/pasted that? - its YOUR quote, except that i replaced the word 'consciousness' with the word 'lightning'. It was supposed to show you how absurd it was to think that any religion 'explains' consciousness(or, God 'explains' consciousness just about as well as Thor[God of thunder and lightning] 'explains' lightning).

Xargque
08-27-2004, 02:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Thor diddit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. In fact it is entirely possible to explain everything through a thiestic point of view using that logic. Such a world view is EXACTLY as powerful as explanations through a scientific world view.

I am NOT saying that this is the only world view that is both thiestic and internally consistent, but it is one such view, thus satisfying at least an existence proof. Someone who actually believes in God, I am sure, can come up with a more thourough world view that does not require such a trite explanation for everything. But I still challenge anyone to explain to an objective observer who neither accepts the principle of induction or a thiestic view to come up with a way to distinguish between them without first assuming one or the other.

-X

Xargque
08-27-2004, 02:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate to monopolize this thread but I did want to contribute one more thing

I have no particular reason to believe that either consciousness or its byproduct, free will, exist in anything near the sense that we understand them. However, I also know that I, personally, am not capable of acting otherwise than as if they are absolute facts. So there's no real point in anyone, least of all me, sitting here saying 'I am not conscious, I do not have free will' when I know damn well that I do. I know this just like I know that there is a real world outside me and that my actions have an effect on it. But knowing that, especially about an internal, subjective phenomenon, hardly makes it true. I suppose that's one piece of hypocrisy I more or less am compelled to engage in. Or if you prefer, call it a sneaking suspicion rather than an outright belief because if I were really convinced it were true I would try to act on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sounds like faith to me.

-X

Xargque
08-27-2004, 02:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Science is all about building models that approximate observed reality.

Anyone who believes a scientific theory must describe what REALLY is going on because it is a scientific theory does not understand what a model is. (Or is a little over optimistic about what humans can achieve -> needs to mug up on Gödels work)

A model is only as good as the use it can be put to.

A religious belief is really just another model.

The main difference between a religious and scientific model is the motivation for and method of their development. Plus the fact that logic tends to play a more dominate role in scientific models than in religious models.

Both scientific and religious models can and are put to good (and bad) uses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very true. The point about people wanting too much from science is also well explaining in the writings of Thomas Kuhn, anyone who is interested in such things but has not read "Structure of Scientific Revolutions" is sinning against nature.

The motivation of modern scientific investigation is another point which causes me some trouble. For much of human history, science and religion and philosophy were all one discipline. The goal of which was to understand how the world works.

Around the 16th century, an Englishman named Francis Bacon suggested a radically new approach to learning about the world. He suggested that science should use experiments to poke at the world and come up with predictive models about how things will behave under certain circumstances. These models would be used to better the world for people. Bacon is one of the founders of the modern scientific method.

The concern I have with this method of investigation is it was designed not to learn what the world is made of and what we are, but to learn how we can change the world to fit our purposes. Much good has come from this method, to be sure. However, it troubles me that much of our "understanding" of what the world is comes from a method designed to bend the world to our desires NOT from one designed with an understanding of the world in mind.

-X

Xargque
08-27-2004, 02:58 PM
In order to have any morality without a God, you must assume certain things about what is good. (E.g. Happiness for a Utilitarian.) If you want morality in your world view, you do better to start from a thiestic point of view (one assumption gets you both ontology and morality) than an athiestic point of view (you need a separate assumption for each).

-X

CountDuckula
08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's not an explanation, it's an assertion; the assertion that a deity created consciousness. It's like any other explanation of the past for natural phenomena that people of the time didn't understand. Storms and earthquakes have been attributed to the gods throwing temper tantrums. We now understand the atmospheric conditions that generate storms, and the geological conditions that lead to earthquakes, so few people believe as they used to. All kinds of myths have been postulated to explain how the sun works, why the moon goes through phases, why we have seasons, etc. These have now been explained scientifically.

The mere fact that scientists can't explain consciousness (yet, anyway) doesn't automatically validate the theistic explanation for it. Anything can be "explained" if you want to resort to unprovable assertions. That doesn't mean those assertions are correct.

-Mike

coffeecrazy1
08-27-2004, 04:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Thor diddit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well put. In fact it is entirely possible to explain everything through a thiestic point of view using that logic. Such a world view is EXACTLY as powerful as explanations through a scientific world view.

I am NOT saying that this is the only world view that is both thiestic and internally consistent, but it is one such view, thus satisfying at least an existence proof. Someone who actually believes in God, I am sure, can come up with a more thourough world view that does not require such a trite explanation for everything. But I still challenge anyone to explain to an objective observer who neither accepts the principle of induction or a thiestic view to come up with a way to distinguish between them without first assuming one or the other.

-X

[/ QUOTE ]

Well...I am not the grandest of scholars, but I do have one point I would like to make. The problem with your notion of an objective observer is not that such an observer does not exist, but is that such an observer is already subjected to the assumption of finiteness. The problem that all humans have, and the reason why we tend to run to absolutes, is that we are absolutes. We are inherently bound by the assumption of our own precipitous beginnings and inevitable ends. I believe that both science and religion can be identified as different attempts to contend with the assumption of the finite.

So, I find that any objective observer one might find would already be operating under a larger assumption that, in the end, would provoke his or her leap to inductive or theistic assumption.

Cerril
08-27-2004, 05:35 PM
Theists don't get away from the problem either. Just by defining good as 'what God wants' doesn't actually mean that they get away from defining it.

In fact, that very act of defining has caused some trouble for theistic thinkers (i.e. is God good because he does good, thus giving us no need for God to know what good is or is good 'good' because God says it is, thereby making God an amoral being). But it needs to be done.

Xargque
08-31-2004, 02:02 AM
Defining what is good and what isn't may or may not require more work, depending on what "God" truly means.

However, as an athiest you have to make one assumption at least (induction) to get ontology and at least one other assumption to even have "good" and "bad" be part of your world. Thiests can at least get as far as "there is such a thing as 'good'" without a second assumption

-X

Duke
08-31-2004, 04:26 AM
Oh Jesus.

~D