PDA

View Full Version : Monitor For Multitabling Question

MasterShakes
08-25-2004, 08:11 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right forum for this. I currently have a normal 17'' monitor. On this monitor, when I change the resolution to its highest at 1280 x 1024, it can comfortably house 4 tables.

I want to buy a monitor for $800 or less on which I can comfortably house 6 tables. In other words, I either need a bigger monitor or a higher resolution. I'm willing to go LCD or flat panel. Whatever will get me 6 tables that are reasonably viewable, not overlapping too much, I will be happy with.

Suggestions?

Blarg
08-25-2004, 09:48 PM
Maybe not what you were looking for and not helpful, but just wanted to note that you might be willing to suffer a little discomfort if you could save over $700 of that $800 doing it.

Here in California, stores occasionally have 19-inch monitors that can do 1600x1200 on sale for less than $100. They hold 4 very easily; never tried six though.

I know it doesn't directly answer your question; just a thought though. You could even get two of these, feed them a signal from the same video card or from a second video card in the same system, and be ready to go for $200. Just an alternative notion.

Steve Giufre
08-26-2004, 11:34 PM
can you run 4 games on a 19 inch monitor if it has 1600 1200 resolution? I'm looking to buy a bigger monitor so my screens dont overlap.

Blarg
08-27-2004, 12:42 AM
Heck yea you can. I've done it a lot, and my 19-inch monitor is a no-name brand that's at around the $100 level on sale. Looks great. Four tables or three tables plus one Pokertracker window(the way I like it) is easy, and there's no overlap. There's even a smallish bit of space left over.

Sheriff Fatman
08-27-2004, 05:35 AM
The Dell 2001FP is the general monitor of choice on the forums (do a search - there's plenty of posts). 20" Flat Panel, giving 1600x1200 resolution.

I seem to recall Astroglide posting details of offers to get this monitor in the US for $750 or so. Unfortunately, in the UK, I had to pay £560 (about $1,000) for mine but I still consider it one of the best purchases I've made. Its awesome!

You need 1600x1200 resolution to get 4 tables without overlap (6 tables will overlap). At this resolution the flat-panel screens are much easier on the eye due to the 'flicker rate' so are worth getting ahead of the CRT monitors. Unfortunately, there's no LCD screen below 20" which offers 1600x1200 resolution.

Sheriff

nef
08-27-2004, 07:27 PM
poker table windows are 800x600, doesnt matter how many inches big your monitor is, just resolution.

bisonbison
08-27-2004, 09:55 PM
I just bought a second 2100fp, and let me just say for the record that they are fantastic.

Huge viewable area, small footprint, easy on the eyes, etc.

Blarg
08-27-2004, 10:43 PM
Fry's has a 19-inch CRT on sale in today's Friday newspaper ad for $129 plus a $30 rebate-- so basically $99.

You can get 7 to 8 or more of these for the price of a single LCD, and they're extremely easy on the eyes.

You're not likely to see someone who spends going on $1,000 for an item you can get an equivalent of for $100 finding ways to say he had a bad idea. Just something to keep in mind.

There are quite a few virtues to even the cheapest CRT's and some negatives to even excellent LCD's. Don't make any hasty decisions.

Another thing to keep in mind is that LCD's often come with bad pixels -- dead ones, or ones that are white or black or stuck on red or blue. This can be almost invisible or very annoying depending how many pixels are affected and where on the screen they are located. If they're toward an edge, it's much less noticeable.

A certain number of dead pixels are expected in LCD's, and most companies won't replace your LCD monitor for a handful of them. Some won't replace it until there are 20 of them...it can get really bad. And some people find even a single dead pixel extremely annoying. Especially after they've just spent $1,000.

If you're going to buy an LCD, plug it in at the store if at all possible, so you can check it out yourself. Better yet, while at the store, hook up to your net-connected laptop or another net-connected computer in the store and go to this page: http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/DeadPixels.html for their "dead pixels test," a battery of tests that will show you dead pixels of all the different varieties, including some that are hard to notice right away.

An LCD is a serious investment, especially compared to a CRT. The last thing it is is a necessary one, especially for poker playing, but if you get one, take care to deal with a company with a good exchange policy and good dead-pixel policy. It can be a heartbreaker to spend $500 to $1000 on something and have it feel broken right out of the box.

Enon
08-27-2004, 11:27 PM
If you are willing to shell out the extra $200 more than the dell 20 inch, check out the Syncmaster 213T (a 21.3 inch LCD). They cost $1000 a piece but its the best LCD out there. If you decide to order it, definitely check out newegg.com. They shipped both my new computer setup and my monitors in 2 business days.

If you want to read a really good review of this monitor, as well as how it compares to the Dell 20 inch LCD, check this review out at Anandtech.com:

http://anandtech.com/displays/showdoc.aspx?i=1974

Blarg
08-28-2004, 01:15 AM
I agree on newegg. They just got me a portable air conditioner in 2 days. I've bought lots of things from them and they're great. By the way, even portable air conditioners are not that portable when you try carrying them upstairs.

RandR
08-28-2004, 05:51 AM
Im gonna make another plug for the Dell 2001FP, got one off ebay 2 weeks ago. I'm loving this monitor, even @ 1600x1200 the font is still easy to read much better then my old 18' CRT.

Odder
08-28-2004, 06:38 AM
just update your video card and get one with dual monitor support. run 2 cheap CRTs at 1600x1200 and 8 table it /images/graemlins/smile.gif

ThePimpulator
08-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Was just going to say the same. Run two monitors.

BTW, how the [censored] do you guys play six or eight tables? What limits are you at and what kind of win rate are you achieving?

Beavis68
08-28-2004, 04:51 PM
That is what I would going to suggest. Windows 2000 and XP both support dual monitors.