PDA

View Full Version : anyone know how to play the fiddle?

whiskeytown
08-25-2004, 08:09 PM
I just got one of the damned things from my grandma (belonged to Grandpa who passed away two yrs ago) -

I've wanted one for a while, given my love of trad. Irish music and the way it sounds, but my main work has been fretted work (guitars/bass) - no frets on these things...

not sure where to even start...though new strings and that rosin crap might be good. - I'm mostly concerned with learning by ear since very little Irish session music is done by sight reading....

RB

Cubswin
08-25-2004, 08:13 PM
No... but i do know that if your going to play in texas you gotta have a fiddle in the band...

damn...now that song is stuck in my head...thanks

cubs

whiskeytown
08-25-2004, 08:26 PM
HAH...I love doing that to people.

RB

jagoff
08-26-2004, 10:22 AM
but my main work has been fretted work (guitars/bass) - no frets on these things...

Isn't that one of the levels of hell??? A guitarist trying to play fiddle/violin/viola? I only know of one accomplished gutarist who tried to play the fiddle and he couldn't stand not having a fret board so he quit! Banjo! That is where it is!!!

whiskeytown
08-26-2004, 03:48 PM
no, the level of hell for guitarists/bassists is putting sheet music in front of them....that's hell....

no frets is just a minor form of purgatory - kinda like being trapped at a Christian college full of gorgeous women who don't put out before marriage....

LOL /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

James Boston
08-26-2004, 05:18 PM
I don't know what you do and don't already know. So here goes...

tune it low to high: G,D,A,E (like a bass but upside down)

I have no clue about bowing technique

good luck...I can't even play a mandolin very well because the neck is so damn small, and I'm a pretty good guitar player.