PDA

View Full Version : 8-16 Hand -- Weak Tight?

08-02-2002, 12:48 PM
I'm in the BB with 89s. UTG+2 open-raises. I don't know this player well, but he appears to be reasonable and fairly aggressive. A smart, very aggressive player who appears to be playing slightly looser than the table cold-calls from two off the button. I call.

The flop comes K 8 8 with a two-flush.

I check, opener bets and cold-caller raises. I call, settng up a check-raise for the turn. The original bettor folds, and it's heads-up to the turn.

The turn comes a king. I check and fold to his bet.

08-02-2002, 12:58 PM
You should have rised the flop. The check raise on the turn is bad for 2 reasons:

1) You risk giving the later bettor a free card!

2) Your play is too obvious (unless you mix it up)

Get the money in the pot on the flop. Try and squeeze the original raiser out and get dead money. Although the board isn't flooded with draws there i sone. Make the possible drawer pay.

On the turn if the player is straight forward bet into him if he raises you can dump. If he calls check call the river.

If tricky check and call (slightly weak) but you won't be laying down to a flush draw which I think the late bettor is on.

Based oncold callign the raise if he is tight.. it is tough to give him a hadn with a K ball in it that he wouldn't 3bet. Maybe AK if he is weak.