PDA

View Full Version : No one folds top two pair, right?

Homer315
08-25-2004, 06:45 PM
I was playing a SNG last night, loose very passive table with often times 5-6 people calling BB. Get 3-3 in MP1 or so and just call. About 6 people see the flop.

Flop comes 10-3-8 rainbow. Pot size is about 150. One bet, and I raise to 150. One caller. Turn is 2.

Pot's about 375. I bet 350. Other player has about 600 and calls. River comes 8.

Other player goes all in. I call. He had 10-8. I lose.

My question is this: If I go all in after the flop, does anybody fold top two pair? I was going to lose this hand one way or another, right? I don't think my table image was particularly loose or anything, but even if people thought I was pretty tight, no one folds in the face of my all in, right?

Lori
08-25-2004, 06:50 PM
He can't fold.

The only hand he's realistically scared of is the one you have, and you may have JT, AT J9(!) etc etc.

He played badly though, because most of the hands you have that are behind are very capable of outdrawing him, so he should have set you all in right there and then rather than giving you what, from his perspective, was probably a free card.

As to your play, you got all your chips in and your opponent had four outs, this is good.

Edit: You got most, not all of your chips in, but it's still good.

Lori

bustedflush
08-25-2004, 06:57 PM
Probably not. Loose passives usually are not thinking about what you may have, only that they have two pair. I like the raise after the flop, but I would have pushed it on the turn to put them to a decision for all their chips rather than let them call for less money.

stupidsucker
08-25-2004, 07:11 PM
I can recall twice in my life I folded top 2 pair.

One was a cash NL game and the other a SnG.

The only reason I folded is because there were 2 or more all ins before me on a 3 card str8 board. I figured it only takes a set to beat me, and a str8 isnt unlikely either.

In this situation with that action, I would not fold. The river saved him, what can ya do..

codewarrior
08-25-2004, 07:16 PM
I dunno, I think I played it pretty well. I figured you for a slow played big pair, personally.

If it wasn't I you played this hand against, ignore this post, but I rivered a FH against someones set of 3's last night with 10-8

patrick dicaprio
08-25-2004, 07:18 PM
depends on the but in but in 99% of the time the answer is no. why would you want someone with top two pair to fold when you have trips?? you cant win them all but if you are going to buts all in with trips and get called so much the better.

Pat

Homer315
08-25-2004, 07:38 PM
It was a $10 SNG at PartyPoker around 9 or 10 last night. I'm not sure how betting about the size of the pot was slowplaying though. I also don't know if you played it all that well, because as a previous poster said, the two pair is pretty vulnerable, and after the turn, (without you knowing if of course) you were getting 2-1 on a 10.5-1 draw.

I think the better play would have been to raise either the flop or turn...

Homer315
08-25-2004, 07:41 PM
The only thing that gives me even slight pause is that I had made a set with the bottom rank on a widow that could easily have had an OESD (like J-9). But yours is a good point.

codewarrior
08-25-2004, 08:11 PM
Nope wasn't me - don't play PP SnGs. Weird coincidence, though....