PDA

View Full Version : 55 on button... flop TTT

easypete
08-25-2004, 05:21 PM
I wanted a cheap showdown. Is this wrong?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="666666">2 folds</font>, CO calls, Hero calls, SB completes, BB checks,

Flop: (6 SB) T/images/graemlins/spade.gif, T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, T/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, <font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, MP1 calls, CO calls, <font color="CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB folds, BB folds, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, CO calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 8/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
UTG+1 checks, CO checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="blue">(3 players)</font>
<font color="CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, CO folds, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.50 BB
<font color="green">Main Pot: 8.50 BB, between Hero and UTG+1.</font>

prayformojo
08-25-2004, 05:26 PM
Why not bet the turn? You have no outs, and you are either the winner or you aren't. Things can only get worse for you on the river. A better pocket pair isn't going to fold, but any number of overcards drawing to 7 outs might.

Bez
08-25-2004, 05:27 PM
Maybe bet on fourth, fold if you get raised. Opponent probably has overcards so you don't want to give away any free cards.

Yeknom58
08-25-2004, 05:29 PM
Why would you want a cheap showdown with the likely best hand. I see no reason to not bet the turn. You'll get lots of calls from any Ace or K.

easypete
08-25-2004, 05:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why would you want a cheap showdown with the likely best hand. I see no reason to not bet the turn. You'll get lots of calls from any Ace or K.

[/ QUOTE ]

My first reaction to this was that I wanted to see a showdown cheap. My hand is vulnerable to any overcard. If someone had a higher pair, they would c/r the turn.

I guess I over strategized myself here. I committed myself to that play. When the 8 hit, I didn't even think about betting out at potentially a blank.

Yeknom58
08-25-2004, 07:04 PM
"My first reaction to this was that I wanted to see a showdown cheap. My hand is vulnerable to any overcard"

This is a reason to bet not check. The is kind of like when the third flush card comes on the turn and you're afraid of a CR. You need to charge people to draw to overcards or 1 card flushes.