PDA

View Full Version : 20-40 hand

08-01-2002, 08:26 AM
I made a big mistake tonight (based on results), but I'm trying to figure out how big a mistake it was.

The hand:

I have A5 of hearts in the BB. UTG raises (he raised earlier UTG with AJ), 2 cold callers, I call.

Flop 993 with 2 clubs and 1 heart.

I check, he bets, both cold callers fold, I call.

I call because I am planning to check raise the turn no matter what. I have not been caught bluffing yet in this session and the other player has seen me play only solid and tight.

Turn 10 of hearts. Yes, I even have outs!

I check, he bets, and I raise. He thinks for about 2 seconds and calls.

At this point, I am convinced he has a big pair. I saw him call down ealier in a similar situation with Kings and lose. He didn't think about folding then either. Not only that, but I have the ace of hearts, so the only hand he could have called me just for outs was a club draw.

I was so sure that he had a big pair though, I flubbed the river. He showed me the AQ of clubs and dragged the pot. I still feel sick over this, as I almost always follow through on turn bluffs and the $360 pot would feel nice in my pocket. I still scored a big win, but I feel it should have been bigger.

As I'm thinking about this now, though, do you think I was getting 9-1 that he had a flush draw and not a pair?

08-01-2002, 10:35 AM
I'm not convinced he would have folded had you bet the river. Remaining in results mode, you might have played it perfectly.

Tommy

08-01-2002, 11:21 AM
Bet the flop and bet the river. Show strength all the way.

You played the way I do, with a meek check on the river.

08-01-2002, 10:58 PM
Guys usually cold=call with either pocket pairs or A-high card or A-xs. Once the two cold-callers fold on the flop of 9-9-3, it increases the chances of the folders having had A-something and thus decreases the chances of the bettor having A-something, increasing his chances of having a pocket pair.

Ergo, I fold on the flop. If for some reason I call on the flop, I would bet the turn.