PDA

View Full Version : 9 Player Tournament - Forced to Decision

z80x86
08-25-2004, 03:47 PM
I have just finished holding a nine player, $20 buy-in tournament with the top three places taking $100, $50, and $30 respectively. We were at the final table with 5 players left, two with about $15, two with $30 (including myself), and a chip leader with about $90. The blinds are .40/.80 at this stage and though my experiences playing with this group I'm the best player. Only one who has taken the time to study poker literature.

I'm dealt QQ, the extermely loose-agressive chip leader acts first and raises 3 dollars, the next two players fold and I raise another 5 dollars. The player next to me goes all-in raising about 20 dollars. Loose-agressive player folds and I'm left to act. The final raiser is an average player, I read him to be on AKs, AKo, or TT, JJ and trying to take the sizeable pot. If I call I'll be virtually all-in as well.

I ponder for a few minutes and decide to call. What drove me to call was a combination of his style and future prospects. I figured it would be a better idea to try to and win a sizeable $60 dollar pot and be in position to take the two large prizes, than to be left with only $20 and be left in a position to make a $10 profit if the two $15 players are eliminated.

My opponent turns over KK and I'm pushed out of the tournament the next time the blind arives to me. I rarely play tournaments, so I would like comments as to whether I made the correct play in this situation. Once again given the circumstances, I believed that risking my stack to be in a position to make a 400% profit was more appropriate than being left with a damaged stack and being in an uncertain position of perhaps gaining a 50% profit.

Any comments are welcome.