PDA

View Full Version : 6/12 stinger

DiceyPlay
08-25-2004, 03:41 PM
The table is playing semi-loose, semi-passive. A couple of hands prior to this one I’m in CO and have AQo. A middle position player open-raises. I don’t really have a read on this player other then I haven’t seen him overplay anything. I re-raise. It’s folded back to him and he calls. Flop comes blank, blank, K. He check – calls. Turn comes a blank and he check – folds. He then picks up and leaves frustrated.

On to the hand in question-

I’m now in middle position and have QQ. One limper to me and I raise. The CO re-raises. I have a little more table time with this player and he seems pretty solid. Plays few hands, but is a little passive. It’s folded back to me. I call?? Should I have re-raised?

Flop comes 2 4 7 rainbow. I bet. He raises. I call.

Maybe I should have check-raised the flop?

Turn comes K off-suit.

I say check. Time goes by and I’m watching him. He looks up at me and our eyes lock for several seconds. I don’t know if we’re staring each other down or if were trying peer into each others souls.

At this point the dealer says to me “the actions on you sir”. I blurt out “I said check”.

CO bets. I call.

River is a T. I say CHECK loudly. CO bets and I call. CO says 2-pair and show Tc4c.

I say nice hand and muck. CO then picks up and leaves.

Here’s the question-

Was I too timid? I think I could have taken it down with a cr on the flop or the turn. But he 3-bet pre-flop. That concerned me throughout the hand.

When the K came on the turn, I figured I was beat, but I decided to call down. In hind sight I should have cr’d the turn and folded to a re-raise. I would have won right then and there.

What do you guys think?

tolbiny
08-25-2004, 03:44 PM
you should reraise preflop.
since you didnt i would have bet the flop and three bet his raise and then lead the turn.

bdk3clash
08-25-2004, 04:05 PM
Would you even be posting this hand if he hadn't rivered a 5-outer?

Your read at the time was that you got 3-bet by a solid but slightly passive player. (Your read ended up being wrong, but you didn't know that at the time. Save the results for a later post!)

Unless he was know as a tight preflop raiser, I'd cap preflop. I 3-bet that flop and if he 4-bets I call, and after that it's a different hand. Given how you played the flop, I think you're stuck just calling down because you now lose to AK/KQ but are getting 7.5:2 to call down the turn and river bets, and he might check behind on the river.

DiceyPlay
08-25-2004, 04:59 PM
It would be uneventful had he not rivered a 5-outer. Just another schmo overplaying a hand.

Yes, my read was wrong. My read should have been:

This guy is getting ready to leave so I bet he's going to try to pick up this pot (impossible read).

Or

This guy just saw me 3-bet some guy and take the pot without a hand. Now he's going to try to do it to me (not impossible, but unlikely read).

The thing that makes this hand interesting was that I had QQ and he re-raised me btf to get it head up. Then he over-played his hand. The really intersting thing is that at any time before the river card I could have re-raised (flop) or raised (turn) and likely taken it down. But I didn't. I played too passive.

But was I too passive? He 3-bet btf and got it head up with me!! I think calling down like I did was weenie poker. I should have raised the turn and folded to a re-raise. Call the turn and call the river was horrid.

DiceyPlay
08-25-2004, 05:02 PM
Yeah, but it's a 3 raise limit where I play so he wouldn't have been able to 5-bet. So I wouldn't have gained any insight. Had I capped I would have been screaming AA or KK. But I decided to see the flop and bet into him. He just continued to way overplay his hand and I weenied out.

JTG51
08-25-2004, 05:17 PM
In hind sight I should have cr’d the turn and folded to a re-raise. I would have won right then and there.

Sure, that's a great plan when you put him on T4. How good is it when he has AA or AK and just calls your check raise? Are you going to check fold the river when he does that? Spewing chips out of position with QQ on a King high turn against a solid preflop 3-bettor isn't a great strategy.

Monty Cantsin
08-25-2004, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

This guy just saw me 3-bet some guy and take the pot without a hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did this actually happen? If so, it's key info.

[ QUOTE ]
But was I too passive? He 3-bet btf and got it head up with me!! I think calling down like I did was weenie poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling the turn and river was no big deal and pretty much standard. Further to Clash's point, if you had shown down your Queens to a pair of Fours you'd be patting yourself on the back for getting the maximum out of a bluff while risking the minimum to a legitimate 3-betting hand.

Don't roast yourself over results.

/mc