PDA

View Full Version : Q,Q how would you play this?

rybones
08-25-2004, 01:49 PM
last night on Party Poker I was dealt this hand. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts

PP level 2: BB=30 10+1 sng

sb t1360
bb t530
utg t710
mp1 t630
mp2 t880
mp3 t880
hero t830 Q, Q
mp4 t845
mp5 t785
button t550

utg calls (15)
mp1 folds.
mp2 calls (15)
mp3 raises (30) to 30
hero raises (70) to 70
mp4 folds.
mp5 folds.
mp6 folds.
button folds.
sb calls (55)
bb calls (55)
utg calls (55)
mp1 calls (40)

Flop 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
sb checks.
bb checks.
mp1 bets t360
mp2 folds.
hero raises to t720
sb folds
bb folds.
mp1 calls t360

turn comes 9 /images/graemlins/spade.gif

mp1 bets all in

What does hero do? why? What does mp1 have? why?

any thought would be great

Sam T.
08-25-2004, 02:05 PM
Um, Hero calls because he only has 40 chips left?

MP1 has T9s, but that's a wild guess. Anything else up to Rockets is possible.

Phill S
08-25-2004, 02:50 PM
you should of tanked it on the flop without question.

when you played the QQ, what flop were you looking for.

if you did this the turn is irrelivant, however seeing as youve got only 40 left, im sure you meant to go all in on the flop.

what does he have, who cares, youd play it exactly the same no matter what read you have.

he prolly has:
1, A-something of hearts
2, AJ if hes a fair to good player, maybe QJ, KJ if hes not
3, i dont think he has a 9, although if he does itll be 99 for quads on the turn.
4, sort of linked to 3, trips on the flop
5, AJ of hearts (sort of mentioned in 1 and 2), this is the worst hand you should expect to see (on the flop), this is due to number 4 being the least likely (imo, perhaps not mathematically)

Phill

SpeakEasy
08-25-2004, 02:57 PM
Quoting selected portions of your post:

[ QUOTE ]
mp1 t630

mp1 folds.

Flop 9 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, 2 /images/graemlins/heart.gif, J /images/graemlins/diamond.gif
mp1 bets t360
hero raises to t720
mp1 calls t360
mp1 bets all in

[/ QUOTE ]

You have MP1 folding pre-flop, and then betting more than his total stack on the flop. Trick question to catch the unwary?

rybones
08-25-2004, 03:04 PM
I did, of course, call. And I did mean to go all in on the last bet. I guess I should have asked about my over the top bet on the flop? was that the right move?

I will tell you now that it was not. I do not want this to be a bad beat story. I just want to know how to avoid this in the future. the villian had J, 9 o! So, my thinking is I needed to push more before the flop. but will all those already in, I wanted to push out the drawing hands and see if anyone had a big pair. I figured the slightly more than the 3xbb bet before the flop would do that, but apparently it did not. Should I have gone bigger and risked more money? I was worried about someone re-raising my re-raise and losing a big chunk befor the flop?

again, any words of wisdom would be great!!!

Bluff Daddy
08-25-2004, 03:07 PM
Im reraising alot more than 40 with my queens preflop maybe to 125 or so to make sure I get it heads up.

Bluff Daddy
08-25-2004, 03:10 PM
Why are you worried about someone reraising you?

Phill S
08-25-2004, 03:14 PM
hmm, looking over it i think youve more than butchered the hand history. the BB up top doesnt correspond to the BB in the hand.

was this a real hand or we talking hyperthetical.

and yes, i agree id have bet more than the 70 preflop.

at stars i would raise 200 plus on blinds of 10/20 without question. given the stack size differences at party (im assuming its at party, i cant remember), then raising it to 100-150, depending on position, stack sizes, players, the usual factors would seem about right.

as for the J9, it sucks, but thats poker.

Phill

mscott2374
08-25-2004, 03:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So, my thinking is I needed to push more before the flop. but will all those already in, I wanted to push out the drawing hands and see if anyone had a big pair. I figured the slightly more than the 3xbb bet before the flop would do that, but apparently it did not. Should I have gone bigger and risked more money? I was worried about someone re-raising my re-raise and losing a big chunk befor the flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would have reraised to 150 or so, the idea being to get heads-up with the original raiser & to help define my hand.
His raise to 30 looks strange to me as there was already a limper in the pot, so I would be trying to figure out why he would only mini-raise here. It is possible that he could be doing that with AA or KK hoping to get reraised so that he can come back over the top allin. I don't know if that is the type of play that is made at the level you play. In any event like I said I would raise to 150 and then play from there.

Sorry if i rambled too much

rybones
08-25-2004, 03:27 PM
I wish I had a consistant and easy format for typing these things out. I guess it just takes practice (notice i am still a stranger). Anyway, the hand was at PP last night and though I mixed up some positions, the betting is exactly as it played.

Phill S
08-25-2004, 03:34 PM
when you get the hand history emailed to you (i think you request it at the end of the game in party) then cut and paste the entire hand or run it through a converter.

the url for the convertor is on the forum. look for a hand history, in brackets should be the word converter linking to it. i dont know the addy off hand, and to be frank im too lazy to go look it up.

alternatively just post the actual hand hist (if you want you can 'change the names to protect the innocent')

Phill