PDA

View Full Version : $5000 Empire freeroll - any pointers?

theghost
08-25-2004, 12:03 PM
(1st MTT post!)

I'll be playing in Empire's $5000 freeroll this Saturday - I think this is a promo tourney offered to new players (I just signed on w/ Empire earlier this month).

Anyone ever play in one of these? I'm assuming there will be a lot of retards/maniacs? Are there generally a lot of no shows who just bleed off their blinds?

You guys have any suggestions on how to beat this kind of game?

Usually limit is my thing, so sometimes I do dumb things when playing NL (though I did place in the $ in the only sng I ever played - UB $5+.50 /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

jd

pipes
08-25-2004, 12:29 PM
Played in some freerolls on Empire. There will be a ton of no shows. On average there are usually 3-4 at a table. So be mentally prepared to play shorthanded.

Once the no shows are eliminated, the tables will be full again. At that time, the blinds will be high in relation to the stacks. I like to play only the premium hands at that point, with a few blind steals mixed in. Going to the river at that point may essentially be going all in.

pipes
08-25-2004, 12:31 PM
Just to clarify, there will usually be 3-4 actual players at a table. (i.e. 6-7 no shows)

razor
08-25-2004, 12:42 PM
good luck... and stay outta my way! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I believe it is a Limit tourney.

davidross
08-25-2004, 12:45 PM
I'm pretty sure the tournament will be limit. I've never seen a no-limit free-roll at EMpire. I have played several and I hate them, but still keep playing them. THere will be 75% no shows, I have played with as few as 2 players and as many as 5 in these first tables. THe guy with the most empty seats on his left will have the advantage and unless he's a poor player there isn't much you can do. Don't go crazy trying to steal the blinds, just play your cards and you'll come out of the first table with a lot of chips (so will everyone else). THen you have to play your stack. GL to you.

theghost
08-25-2004, 01:50 PM
Thanks for the info...

I've never played in a limit tournament - should I basically just stick to my regular cash ring game style?
How long can I expect the tourney to last?

jd

nolanfan34
08-25-2004, 02:07 PM
Also, how many people are in these? I have an invite as well, just wondering how many people are allowed to sign up.

cnfuzzd
08-26-2004, 02:50 AM
If you are refering to the Players freeroll that is on thursday, not saturday, then i think that empire has finally solved the problem of the no shows. The email i recieved from them seemed to imply that unless i was in the special tournament lobby 15 mins before the tournement started i wouldnt get to play. That would be awesome, although there is nothing like ending up at a table by yourself.

peace

john nickle

davidross
08-26-2004, 02:58 AM
Everyone has their own style. When the stacks are deep I play closer to my regular ring game, but when you start getting to the point where you can only play 2 or 3 hands before running out of chips, I get much more aggressive, and tighter with others in the pot, and looser first in.

THe length of the tourney will depend on the number of entries. Unlikely you will be out in less than 2 hours with all the no-shows, and I'm sure it will run 5 hours at least to completion.