PDA

View Full Version : Maxim not letting Erin keep her money

Paluka
08-25-2004, 10:28 AM
This dude I work with knows Erin Ness, and he is telling me Maxim did not let her keep her prize money. What the hell is that? I'm trying to get more details...

27offsuit
08-25-2004, 10:55 AM
Doubt it.

Zetack
08-25-2004, 11:13 AM
[ QUOTE ]
This dude I work with knows Erin Ness, and he is telling me Maxim did not let her keep her prize money. What the hell is that? I'm trying to get more details...

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty cheap ass if true. They should pay her for all the advertising exposure.

--Zetack

ohgeetee
08-25-2004, 11:35 AM
highly doubt it.

Paluka
08-25-2004, 11:50 AM
I'm hearing that the reason why is that they were doing a story on the World Series and just wanted to send one employee as a focal point for the story. Because she was "working" by playing in the tourney, she isn't eligible to keep the money.

NUReedy
08-25-2004, 11:51 AM
I could see how they could do that. From the way the announcers described it they said she won an office tournament to play in the tournament. I don't know if this means people from Maxim put up money, or if the magazine was planning on entering someone and made them play for it. Either way, it could make sense why she would only get a cut of the winnings.

TracyMiller
08-25-2004, 12:00 PM
If Maxim ponied up the money for that office tourney, then I can see how they would want the prize money. If so, then they should have had a clear agreement with her about how they would split any prize money she won.

If they did not pony up the money, then she should keep all of it.

Ghazban
08-25-2004, 12:02 PM
I read something on another site (can't find the link now) that said she knew before the tournament started that she wouldn't be allowed to keep any money she won so its not like Maxim just showed up at her door asking for their $10K. Its kind of a raw deal but it was all spelled out beforehand. Maxim had their in-house tournament to determine who would get to go to Vegas and play. She got a free trip to Vegas and free play in the tourney out of the deal. I bet the magazine didn't expect the winner of their in-house tourney to have a chance at making the money.... I wonder if they'd have taken the 5 million if she'd won the whole thing or if they'd let her keep at least some of it.

BeerMoney
08-25-2004, 12:02 PM
NEWSFLASH!! Businesses try to make money, not give it away to their employees!

TracyMiller
08-25-2004, 12:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]

NEWSFLASH!! Businesses try to make money, not give it away to their employees!

[/ QUOTE ]

Especially Wal-Mart. :-)

js13_tps
08-25-2004, 12:56 PM
typical corporate behavior.

However, if they sent her into it as pretty much dead money, just for the article, then they should hook her up in some way.

$DEADSEXE$
08-25-2004, 02:02 PM
Legally speaking, unless she signed some type of contract stating otherwise...Maxim really could only argue that she owe's them 10,000.
If she won one million etc they have no legal right to the money without a contract.

Kevmath
08-25-2004, 02:22 PM
I give you...

http://www.ctnmagazine.com/ctnmag/krackman.html

Kevin...

Boris
08-25-2004, 02:25 PM
I sat next to her on the second day. She said that Maxim put up the buy-in, airfare and nice hotel room on the strip. Then all the employees had an office tournament to determine who would go. She won. Given the circumstances it seems entirely possible that Maxim would make a claim on the prize money.

Iplayragstoo
08-25-2004, 02:43 PM
The article from a posted response a few lines up said that she stated "she had to pay them back". Thats says to me that if she won money, she had to cover the entry fee, and the gravy was hers to keep. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMnkE
08-25-2004, 04:16 PM
Seems to me like this is a situation where a player gets backed by some investor. The amount of return each person gets on the investment would be discussed beforehand.

Erin got a free trip to vegas and the experience of a lifetime for any poker fan... and she got it for free.

It doesn't seem insane that Maxim would get a large portion of their investment back... if not all of the returns.

I mean... they paid 10 grand to have some chick play in a poker tournament... that is one hell of a gamboool

It isn't like they were paying Greg Raymer's entry fee. This was a high risk investment and should be awarded a high return.

Anyway... if I were Maxim... I'd give her the money minus the entry fee... just as a good PR move.

How much did she win anyway?

MicroBob
08-25-2004, 04:30 PM
i believe she barely made it into the money.
if so, then she just won her EF back ($10k).

someone should be able to track down the info fairly easily.
i'm too lazy to do it myself.

Zinzan
08-25-2004, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i believe she barely made it into the money. if so, then she just won her EF back ($10k).

someone should be able to track down the info fairly easily. i'm too lazy to do it myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

http://www.pokerpages.com/tournament/result9187.htm#report

Scroll down to #207.

-Z

js13_tps
08-25-2004, 05:05 PM
if she had pushed first hand and busted out Maxim wouldn't have cared, she just would have been featured on the first episode. She could have spent those 3 days by the pool with some cabana boy.

She represented and did a great job, they never expected to get any money back, they're just being cheap.

mmcd
08-25-2004, 05:13 PM
She didn't win anything, she broke even (gotta love that payout scheme). She just paid back the entry fee since she did not lose it. Had she actually won any money, I'm sure she'd have been able to keep it, possibly minus any travel expenses put up by Maxim.

Zinzan
08-25-2004, 05:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
if she had pushed first hand and busted out Maxim wouldn't have cared, she just would have been featured on the first episode. She could have spent those 3 days by the pool with some cabana boy.

[/ QUOTE ]

She said on the show that they expected her to bust out on Day 1 and bought her a return ticket for Monday night. She said she had to change her return flight a couple times as she progressed.

-Z

sucka
08-25-2004, 05:51 PM
Here's a question...

So, if you pay $10k to enter - and then finish in the top 225 and win $10k - do you have to pay taxes on the winnings?

If you do, then you get in the money and actually lose a couple grand....

That would suck.

Kevmath
08-25-2004, 05:57 PM
Most of the people entered didn't pay 10k for their seats (online satellites, supers, etc.)

Kevin...

BarronVangorToth
08-25-2004, 06:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question...

So, if you pay $10k to enter - and then finish in the top 225 and win $10k - do you have to pay taxes on the winnings?

That would suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how your accountant has you set up.

In essence, it's a wash as you have a 10K expense and a 10K source of revenue.

However, both need to be declared seperately in your tax form -- it isn't a matter of "netting" zero dollars as it could work out one way or the other, depending on your other financial considerations.

In this particular case, if the money doesn't go to her at all, she won't have to pay tax -- she was there as an employee playing for Maxim, so they would declare the costs (including her room) and likewise declare the "profit."

In their case, the Maxim exposure is worth FAR more than the $1000+ they invariably spent between her hotel and airfare. A whole lot more.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

sprmario
08-27-2004, 09:50 AM
Totally agreed. $10k isn't that much to maxim. They expected her to make nothing and that was the cost of their story. They got tons more exposure than they expected out of it and they are being cheap if they don't let her keep the money.

[ QUOTE ]

She represented and did a great job, they never expected to get any money back, they're just being cheap.

[/ QUOTE ]

MEbenhoe
08-27-2004, 11:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm hearing that the reason why is that they were doing a story on the World Series and just wanted to send one employee as a focal point for the story. Because she was "working" by playing in the tourney, she isn't eligible to keep the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats like saying that since Jim McManus was working on an article for Harpers about women in the WSOP and the Binion murder trial while he was playing he shouldn't be able to keep the money he won for taking 5th in 2000. Thats a bunch of bullshit if Maxim actually did that to her. They should be giving her a nice bonus rather than taking money from her.

SpiderMnkE
08-27-2004, 11:04 AM
What is the point of this if she made no money?

There isn't one... thread over.

siccjay
08-27-2004, 03:39 PM
There are only threads about her because she is hot. End of discussion.

fnurt
08-27-2004, 04:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Here's a question...

That would suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends on how your accountant has you set up.

In essence, it's a wash as you have a 10K expense and a 10K source of revenue.

However, both need to be declared seperately in your tax form -- it isn't a matter of "netting" zero dollars as it could work out one way or the other, depending on your other financial considerations.

In this particular case, if the money doesn't go to her at all, she won't have to pay tax -- she was there as an employee playing for Maxim, so they would declare the costs (including her room) and likewise declare the "profit."

In their case, the Maxim exposure is worth FAR more than the $1000+ they invariably spent between her hotel and airfare. A whole lot more.

Barron Vangor Toth
www.BarronVangorToth.com (http://www.BarronVangorToth.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

100% wrong. The income on a single gambling wager is the prize minus the amount of the wager. They automatically net themselves.

Smasharoo
08-27-2004, 04:39 PM
Thats like saying that since Jim McManus was working on an article for Harpers about women in the WSOP and the Binion murder trial while he was playing he shouldn't be able to keep the money he won for taking 5th in 2000.

Harpers didn't pay his entry fee.

If you think she should keep the money, start an email campaign to Maxim and they'll laugh and let her keep it if they get enough emails. PR is PR.

zamora
08-28-2004, 08:03 PM
at least they didnīt promise her a car...

http://www.bonitadailynews.com/01/07/florida/d621686a.htm

DimensionPresident
09-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Is it just me, or doesn't she look exactly like Jessica Alba?

http://www.jessicaalba.net/pics/alba1030.jpg

DimensionPresident
09-03-2004, 01:31 AM
BTW, that's a picture of Jessica, not Erin. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

zerosports
09-03-2004, 09:03 AM
ok, lets not get crazy here. Erin Ness is hot but she's no Jessica Alba, don't type these shameful comments ever again.

/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

uw_madtown
09-03-2004, 09:23 AM
She's definitely an average-man's Jessica Alba. I see the resemblance, although Alba would be considered the hot, evil twin.

- UW